Paid Members Egg Shen Posted March 17 Author Paid Members Posted March 17 The Affliction comparison is mainly down to it just being a new company trying to put on a big star filled show off the jump. I'm all for it. Quote
jimufctna24 Posted March 17 Posted March 17 5 hours ago, Dai said: That money is insane! Speaking of insane, does that figure include how much they paid Megadeth to do a few songs too? I'm sure the rumours at the time were that they were paid a Million+, just so they could have live music in front of a crowd that couldn't give two shits. I'm not sure how much Megadeth were paid, but they were not listed in the near 3.5 million fighter payroll. I would not be shocked if the rumour was true and they were paid a 7 figure sum. Barnett, who played a role in matchmaking, originally wanted to book Ozzy Osbourne for the show, but he wasn't available. Quote
Paid Members Egg Shen Posted March 18 Author Paid Members Posted March 18 Another solid MVP fight Quote
Paid Members Egg Shen Posted March 24 Author Paid Members Posted March 24 Full MVP card. It feels like the MMA world needs this show more than ever. Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted March 24 Paid Members Posted March 24 Yeah I really like it. It’s a good mix of nostalgia, big names and some legitimate current and future players like Mokaev and Parnasse. Mokaev teased a fight announcement the other day and said Jake Paul would be confirming it so it was obvious he was gonna be on this show at that point, then when ONE announced yesterday that they’d released a bunch of fighters and Moraes was one of them, a lot of people put two and two together. Cracking fight. Salahdine Parnasse has been a name I’ve been hearing for at least a couple of years now but I’ve only seen snippets. He’s widely considered one of the best fighters in the sport who’s not under UFC contract. So it’s nice to see him get an opportunity on a big platform. Aline Pereira is the sister of Alex Pereira, whatever that’s worth. Then you’ve got JDS and Lorenz Larkin on there who are both old favourites of mine from back in the day. Really looking forward to it. I’ll knock a thread together for the show over the next few days. Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted March 24 Paid Members Posted March 24 Glad to see Mokaev get an outing; hopefully he'll continue the undefeated run. I noticed that, for Fazil, they've given him the old Iranian flag in the graphic, and, on Twitter, where there isn't the emoticon for it, they've just put up a boxing glove. The holier-than-thou shitarses. Quote
Kfogg1991 Posted March 25 Posted March 25 (edited) It's awesome but absolutely criminal Gable Steveson isn't on the MVP or whitehouse card beyond mental Edited March 25 by Kfogg1991 Because I'm retarded and put the wrong name Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted March 25 Paid Members Posted March 25 Guessing you mean Gable Steveson? I did think he’d be on one of them. I expected it to be the White House card because I do suspect he’s got some kind of agreement with the UFC that he’s gonna be signing with them in the not too distant future. If that’s true then maybe that’s why he’s not on the MVP card. But that’s based on nothing but a hunch. Alleged rapist as well so I’m surprised he isn’t near the top of the White House card. Quote
Kfogg1991 Posted March 25 Posted March 25 21 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said: Guessing you mean Gable Steveson? I did think he’d be on one of them. I expected it to be the White House card because I do suspect he’s got some kind of agreement with the UFC that he’s gonna be signing with them in the not too distant future. If that’s true then maybe that’s why he’s not on the MVP card. But that’s based on nothing but a hunch. Alleged rapist as well so I’m surprised he isn’t near the top of the White House card. Completely right j keep mixing his name it's so irritating but yeah him not being on either really is a mistake especially the UFC who is desperate for prospects like him Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted March 25 Paid Members Posted March 25 (edited) Horiguchi vs Kape 2 is headlining the Apex on June 20th. I know they’ve taken a few steps to make the Apex a bit more bearable now with them letting a bit more of a crowd in and stuff but, still, what are they doing here? Kind of a weird one as well because it feels like a legit number one contender fight but we’ve still got Van vs Taira in a few weeks and then you’ve got Pantoja to fit in and he’s gonna surely get a shot as soon as he returns. Oh well. Good fight if Kape shows up. Edited March 25 by wandshogun09 Quote
Paid Members Egg Shen Posted March 25 Author Paid Members Posted March 25 Great fight, but the reaction has been another dagger into the UFC online. Lots of this kinda thing floating about. Quote
Paid Members Egg Shen Posted March 25 Author Paid Members Posted March 25 (edited) 18 hours ago, wandshogun09 said: Yeah I really like it. It’s a good mix of nostalgia, big names and some legitimate current and future players like Mokaev and Parnasse. Mokaev teased a fight announcement the other day and said Jake Paul would be confirming it so it was obvious he was gonna be on this show at that point, then when ONE announced yesterday that they’d released a bunch of fighters and Moraes was one of them, a lot of people put two and two together. Cracking fight. Salahdine Parnasse has been a name I’ve been hearing for at least a couple of years now but I’ve only seen snippets. He’s widely considered one of the best fighters in the sport who’s not under UFC contract. So it’s nice to see him get an opportunity on a big platform. Aline Pereira is the sister of Alex Pereira, whatever that’s worth. Then you’ve got JDS and Lorenz Larkin on there who are both old favourites of mine from back in the day. Really looking forward to it. I’ll knock a thread together for the show over the next few days. The reaction to it abit overblown in terms of how great it is when you break it down. The White House card is objectively better if you want to look at high quality MMA, I don't even think it can be argued. I think the MVP/Netflix involvement is making people look past the age and condition of some of the fighters, it just feels exciting and weirdly fresh, it's also making people take notice who usually ignore the alternatives already out there. Edited March 25 by Egg Shen Quote
Paid Members wandshogun09 Posted March 25 Paid Members Posted March 25 Oh I’m definitely not saying it’s better than the White House card. It’s clearly not. A Topuria/Pereira double header on its own outdoes whatever MVP can throw together. I’m finding the reaction to the MVP card mixed with people going over the top on both sides. Some are acting like it’s Pride Shockwave 2004 levels of stacked and at the other end of the spectrum others are acting like it’s total dogshit. Both are over exaggerated. It’s just a fun one-off card with a nice mix of old and new. I’m not expecting anything spectacular, especially from the older names on the card. It’s probably gonna be a bit sad at points because I’m fully expecting JDS to get chinned badly. I don’t think Nate cares anymore either, he’s just showing up for the dough at this point. It’s gonna be a bit of a train wreck I think but there’s definitely plenty of reasons to tune in. Quote
Paid Members Egg Shen Posted March 25 Author Paid Members Posted March 25 15 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said: Some are acting like it’s Pride Shockwave 2004 levels of stacked and at the other end of the spectrum others are acting like it’s total dogshit. Both are over exaggerated. It’s just a fun one-off card with a nice mix of old and new. Yep, that's it. You have two sides opposing each other now 😄 Quote
jimufctna24 Posted March 25 Posted March 25 4 hours ago, Egg Shen said: Great fight, but the reaction has been another dagger into the UFC online. Lots of this kinda thing floating about. It's great that Kyoji and Kape are in the promotion with the best fighters in their weightclass, and it's probably better that they're fighting in a cage as opposed to the ring (the ring looks better, but the cage is more functional for MMA). That said, the atmosphere and presentation of a big Rizin show pisses all over that of a UFC Apex show. The Rizin Confession series, which is used to hype and tell the story of fights, is also a fantastic promotional tool. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.