The Jericho Enigma

Frankie Crisp

• Awards Moderator

Jericho is clearly a divisive thing on here. I’ve just had Judas thrown at me on YouTube and, because I’m a fat Carrie Bradshaw, I got to thinking… where does he sit in the overall rankings?

Is he top tier? Hart, Rock, Austin, Cena, Hogan? Of course not. 

But is he in the tier below? I’d say so. I think he’s up there with the Angles, Guerreros, [redacted] and Bryans. He’s thrown out some fantastic matches over the years but his character work is untouchable - he deserves the plaudits. I’d rather watch him over Triple H, any day of the week.

Politically, he’s a knobhead. A proper knobhead. But then when another wrestler is in a bad way, he always throws in a few grand to help them out.

He’s possibly the strangest wrestler we’ve come across in terms of likability, with him being a div at times but also one of the most creative, caring lads we’ve seen.

That’s a long-winded way to ask if you lot like Chris Jericho. Where would you put him, if asked, in the top 20 of all time? He’s top 10 for me.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

I fucking hated him for years and years and never got the hype, found him piss boring in the ring and never enjoyed his character work. 

When he moved to AEW I started to enjoy him more and more then found out he is a MAGA twat and went right off him again. Now I find myself annoyed whenever he makes me enjoy his stuff. 

Bastard that he is. 

• Paid Members

Only time I've really enjoyed his work was as a heel in WCW.

Unlike most at the time I was of the opinion he was being pushed at about his level and always thought he looked out of his depth, both popularity and size wise, when WWE tried pushing him as a legit main eventer.

His current character renaissance is the most I've enjoyed his work in 20 years, although I find it impossible to look beyond what a thick bastard he is when it comes to world affairs. I.m.o he's legitimately very stupid.

Edited by garynysmon

He belongs in the Second Tier I think - he's been at the top end of the card in whichever promotion he's worked in since the year 2000 - that's longer than Bret, Shaw, Eddie, Kurt and Voldemort (which were the names Frankie compared him to).

He seems to have reinvented himself time and time again, and somehow come up with new and entertaining shit year after year. His partnership with Kevin Owens and The List Of Jericho used to genuinely make me laugh (I'm a simple man).

He is a complete dickhead though. But then again, if I can watch a Benoit match and be entertained, then I'm happy to watch this weirdly titted man do his thing.

Edited by Max Power

• Paid Members

Good idea for a thread.

A lot of the times, to me, he comes off like a typical bored millionaire who is looking for......something to give his life some meaning. That ranges from his music career, sacking off WWE to have a go in Japan/AEW all the way to his "asking questions" about COVID and his backing of Trump. Really, he's the perfect target for shit like QANON and MAGA. He's a rich public figure who can do pretty much anything he wants with zero consequences. I think he WANTS to believe too, because it feeds his ego. It lets him say "I'm a wrestler but I'm also really smart. I know things that YOU don't know."

It also gives him an excuse for his piss-poor acting career, which, coincidentally enough, appears to be what QANON was founded for.

Does it make him a bad person? Fuck knows. I think he THINKS he's doing the right thing, but I'll admit that I could be biased because I enjoy his in-ring work. I will say that he has very little self-awareness. He tells some "hilarious" stories in his books that make him come across like a right dickhead. There's nothing Dark Side of The Ring bad, but it's enough to make you think "I'd hate you if I met you".

On screen, aye, I'd safely put him in the Second Tier, under the tippy top guys. He always felt like one of the top guys but never quite The Guy for me.

The obsession with him being a republican when pretty much every wrestler will be as they are now affluent I find strange. 

given his longevity, how many phrases he got over, number of feuds you’d have up there in discussion of the really good, he’s deffo in the next tier after the super talent. His star name giving gravitas to AEW, the bump he gave new japans business, he clearly has that proper name. Up their with Grado in if you say his name, people know who he is 

I think part of his appeal as a funny guy is that his wrestling humour has enough of a toe in obscure pop culture and the actual real world that he has relatable and funny references. I reckon its a Canada thing.

He's got a real touch for getting some absolutely ludicrous ideas over. I still think about him arguing with the drone and his army of adorable non threatning dogs. 

Edited by Chili

Oh crikey, forgot about his fuel with Vanguard 1. That was so ridiculous but so good but just shows how well Jericho can get anything and anyone over.

I'm in a minority here I think, but I like him on commentary. He understands getting new and raw talent over and even when he was in the middle of fueds with people, he'd still shoe in compliments and support for them even if in a roundabout way. 

• Paid Members

Jericho is great, he's just never been as good as he seems to think he is. 

2 hours ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Is he top tier? Hart, Rock, Austin, Cena, Hogan? Of course not. 

But is he in the tier below? I’d say so. I think he’s up there with the Angles, Guerreros, [redacted] and Bryans.

I'd agree with this but I'd say he's in the relegation zone of that cluster and part of that's his inconsistency, when he's good he's good but he's had some real mediocre slumps that I don't feel like those other names had.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, AshC said:

Headliner in WWE.

I never bought him as a top guy until he returned after his first hiatus. No one looked more out of place in main events 2001 - 2004 than Jericho. All the notes were there but never played in the right order 

For all his character work, gimmicks, promos & all the bells and whistles that he does so well (and better than most),  I can't say I've ever really enjoyed any of his matches or remember many as standouts. Maybe I am being harsh and my memory is shit these days, but usually with the very top tier there are memorable matches (must see or must see moments) and my only real memories of Jericho are promos. 

Jericho was the guy who got me into wrestling in 2000, but I'd still say he's a mid-level guy who was over enough to rack up some world championships, even if he felt out of place holding them. He was never as over as Rock, Stone Cold or Undertaker, nor was he as good in-ring as Guererro, Michaels, Benoit or Angle. I've always seen Jericho as a three-star match wrestler. He'd always put on fun back-and-forth matches, but he's never been brilliant at bring the hate in his biggest blood feuds. Whether it was his 2000 feud with Benoit or his recent AEW rivalry with MJF, he'd always relied way too much on the comedy when he should have taken things more seriously.

I'd say the best Jericho is the 2008-2010 literation, which saw him have his best feud with Shawn Michaels in 2008. He was actually able to keep it serious and Shawn was the perfect rival for him. Modern day Jericho might be the worst version of him yet. Even ignoring all the MAGA stuff, he's the shits in the ring. He still tries to wrestle like 2000 Jericho despite weighing a lot more. It makes sense for him to be out of shape if he's doing the washed-up rock star gimmick, but maybe he should trying wrestling like Black Terry instead of still trying to be a WCW cruiserweight.  Despite all my criticisms of him, I still have to give him credit for able to reinventing himself as many times as he has done. I'd say that is his strongest quality overall. 

I'd say I was a fan of Jericho (the wrestler) during his time in WWE but I kind of stopped being a fan after listening to him on his podcasts where he felt the need consistently interrupt the interviewee to offer his opinion and/or put in an ad break.

I mean, yeah it is his podcast but he should let the other person talk, otherwise what is the point in having guests.

I was tempted to get a ticket to the Fozzy gig in December to try and get his first book signed but then I'd have to listen to Fozzy.