Norm MacDonald tribute thread

WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Found out about this from a Dan Ryckert thread on Twitter. I was late to becoming a fan of Norm, not having watched any SNL or much in the way of American comedy. The first time I remember seeing him was on this YouTube event pre-show and he had me in tears from the start:

• Paid Members

Norm was asked to roast his friend Bob Saget. Norm wasn’t a massive fan of roasts, but Bob kept asking him to do it. At the camera rehearsal  the day before the recording, the producer kept telling him to make sure it was controversial and exciting. At that point Norm said he then knew what he had to do. This went on to go, by his fellow comedian peers, down in comedy folklore 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

Me and my friend still quote his line to Cloris Leachman from the roast all the time - “Why she’ll never be over the hill, not in the car she drives”. I remember cracking up the first time at how awful it was and it just becomes funnier with every rewatch due to his delivery and the reaction from everyone. 

There’s a point where all the comedians realise what he’s doing and start laughing. Except for Jim Norton who doesn’t get it and then fails at taking a dig at Norms set later on. 

15 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

The Saget roast is unbelievably good

It really was. Gilbert Gottfried was enjoyable for once during that as he got really dark about Bob Saget. 

9 hours ago, mim731 said:

Hmm. So this is all news to me, and this whole thread on Twitter has very much muddied the waters of how I feel about Norm especially if even a fraction of these stories are true. 

Norm being a dickhead who sexually harassed women is news to me too, but not particularly surprising. The list of normal, not fucked up, North American, male standup comedians seems like a pretty short one.

Edited for Fog Dude. 

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob

• Paid Members

I’ll confess to not really knowing much about Norm prior to his passing, but I’ve been down a YouTube rabbit hole of late and can see what I’ve been missing.

This video had me in stitches earlier, so simple but funny. it’s well worth two minutes of your time and there are extended versions of all these clips elsewhere on YouTube