Norm MacDonald tribute thread

WyattSheepMask

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
5 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

Has anyone watched Nothing Special yet? I haven't gotten around to it due to time and, to be honest, sadness. I'll watch it eventually as I have heard and read nothing but good things. 

I have seen it and yes, it is sad, but unfortunately in ways that I hoped it wouldn't have been. 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

Oh dear. 

Care to elaborate?

It's a lot of very unpolished material that never would have made it out on the road in front of an audience. His delivery is amazing considering it's all one take and it's an interesting experiment but it's also not funny. More disappointing was some stuff here about Down's Syndrome people and, yes, transgender people that was as unnecessary as usual. The interviews at the end are insufferable, aside from Letterman who seemed to subtly suggest this special wasn't very good. 

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It's a lot of very unpolished material that never would have made it out on the road in front of an audience. His delivery is amazing considering it's all one take and it's an interesting experiment but it's also not funny. More disappointing was some stuff here about Down's Syndrome people and, yes, transgender people that was as unnecessary as usual. The interviews at the end are insufferable, aside from Letterman who seemed to subtly suggest this special wasn't very good. 

That's a shame to hear, but not terribly unsurprising. I'll get around to it eventually, but in the meantime I think I'll stick with the classic stuff. 

Watched Nothing Special last night.

Rather enjoyed it, even if it obviously wasn't the same as a proper standup or anything. A few really laugh-out-loud moments and some meandering material, but it was an enjoyable way to spend an hour. I'm curious how it would have worked in front of an audience. 

I also didn't really notice any trans jokes - maybe one, and even that was far from harsh or anything - with most of it being fairly light.

The post-special round table thing was fine for what it was. 

Edited by SaitoRyo
I watched the special.

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

I've been watching his sitcom Norm a lot recently. It's fascinatingly shit, but he's always good value in it (though not a good actor at all). The support cast are shocking though, even Laurie Metcalf's piss poor.

Edited by gmoney

• 1 year later...