The Emma Raducanu Appreciation Thread (All Tennis welcome)

SuperBacon

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

So from the coverage it's clear that Tim Henman won the women's US Open this year.

It’s about time he reached a final to be honest. Taken him long enough. And I just realised I’m a year older then both of the finalists ages combined ffs!

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

6 hours ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Bacon, please sort the typo out in the thread name before I have a groundstroke.

JSS FCKNG CHRST JMMY CRKHLL GF

Hadn't noticed that!

Edit: just realised I don't know how to! Someone help.

Not much more to add on the Raducanu match. Not a massive fan of that surface usually, but that was incredible tennis. Incredible. 

Edited by SuperBacon

• SuperBacon changed the title to The Emma Raducanu Appreciation Thread (All Tennis welcome)
  • Paid Members
10 hours ago, King Coconut said:

Very definitely British for the time being then. 

It's even better for her than that: I've just heard someone on Radio 4 commenting on how joyful it was to see her among the English fans joining in with Sweet Caroline.

40 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

This is a really interesting point (maybe one for another thread?), and one that I don't think I'm best equipped to have a massively relevant opinion on to be quite honest.

Thoughts?

Probably right as there is similar lines with how even racist dickheads were cheering on Mo Farah. I hope she can just avoid that type of shit and get on with her career for a few years though. As naive as that may seem. She is ridiculously talented.  I think part of what ground Naomi Osaka down was racist shite from her own country.

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

This is a really interesting point (maybe one for another thread?), and one that I don't think I'm best equipped to have a massively relevant opinion on to be quite honest.

Thoughts?

I was discussing this not long ago with a French friend who's been over here for 20 years or so. Remember '92 Heenan's: "Thank you, oh, thank you! It's not a skirt! It's a kilt!"? He remembered something similar after France had won the World Cup in 98, with a tearful fan doing a Heenan when Zidane appeared on screen: "Zizou! T'es français!" Well, yes, having been born and raised in Marseille, Zidane was indeed French.

30 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Probably right as there is similar lines with how even racist dickheads were cheering on Mo Farah. I hope she can just avoid that type of shit and get on with her career for a few years though. As naive as that may seem. She is ridiculously talented.  I think part of what ground Naomi Osaka down was racist shite from her own country.

13 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I was discussing this not long ago with a French friend who's been over here for 20 years or so. Remember '92 Heenan's: "Thank you, oh, thank you! It's not a skirt! It's a kilt!"? He remembered something similar after France had won the World Cup in 98, with a tearful fan doing a Heenan when Zidane appeared on screen: "Zizou! T'es français!" Well, yes, having been born and raised in Marseille, Zidane was indeed French.

And those are the points the tweet makes. Is it (unwittingly and unknowingly on the part of most) playing into the trope of "nice, good immigrant who is worthy of being British as they have achieved something"? 

I don't think the people celebrating her heritage are doing anything wrong (in fact they are defending her and pointing out the beauty of a multicultural society) but I dunno, I agree that it's not the gotcha that most people believe it is, as not every immigrant is seen that way, or accepted as British.

It's an interesting point. 

Well no, but it still allows all us non dickheads an opportunity to laugh at them and their small mindedness. You can’t ‘get’ that lot because they constantly change the narrative to suit their agenda but all us normals can still see it.

Edited by Mr_Danger