The Emma Raducanu Appreciation Thread (All Tennis welcome)

SuperBacon

• 3 months later...
  • Paid Members

If only there wasn't plenty of evidence of him being an antivaxxer, maybe his "exemption" would have carried more weight. Serves him right. 

• Paid Members

The prick organised a tournament at the height of the pandemic when tennis was on pause, caught Covid, went partying with the other players and gave it to them. Plus, he's a prick. I was overjoyed when Daniil beat him in the US Open final last year. 

Roger forever ❤️ 

• Paid Members

I think he divides opinion. A lot of tennis fans love him, but many (especially less hardcore tennis fans) don't like him. He definitely has far less affection from tennis fans compared to Federer and Nadal. And rightly so, Federer is the epitome of an ambassador for a particular sport.

He had the crowd behind him against Medvedev, but that's because the American fans hate Medvedev (mainly because he's Russian, and plays up to the negative crowd reaction like a top heel).

The thing with him is that whilst you can be absolutely be a shit and still be liked (plenty of 'heel' sports people out there that we all love that embrace their villainy), it's his constant "I don't know why I'm getting this reaction"  mentality.

He seems incredulous that anyone would not adore him, despite being a shit for many years. 

I know we should never just go off anecdotes and secondary stories but I have NEVER read or heard anything but negative stories about him, which is incredibly rare.

I'm sure he's been nice to someone somewhere. Probably doctors over the years who have administered medication to him, which makes it strange that he now doesn't want anything injected in to him...maybe he had a bad experience? 🤔

• Paid Members

His wife has been spouting all the 5G antivax conspiracy stuff, and he's gone along with it from what reports say. 

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I know we should never just go off anecdotes and secondary stories but I have NEVER read or heard anything but negative stories about him, which is incredibly rare.

Really? I’m the opposite, until covid I had never heard anything but positive stories about him and how he was the most popular guy on tour etc. There was also a period where his impressions of other players were going viral and all the talk from pundits was about how easy-breezy and funny a guy he was. 
I only watch the grand slams, and not religiously, so I’m going off the very limited stuff I’ve seen and heard about him.

Edited by stumobir