Gigs and concerts

Carbomb

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

Please report back after Devo! I almost bought a ticket a few weeks ago when I was looking for an excuse to go on some sort of road trip, but opted for Amyl and the Sniffers in the same venue about a week later (partly because I've seen Devo before but not AATS, and partly because hotels seemed to be cheaper the following week).

Unfortunately it’s Edinburgh Fringe so every hotel is price gouged to fuck. We were looking at I think £200+ for a single night in a Travel Lodge so we’re staying in Newcastle instead and making the 2 hour or so drive up. A pain but a 4-5 hour round trip is much easier on our wallets and we can spend what we save on decent food and board games in Newcastle.

41 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Unfortunately it’s Edinburgh Fringe so every hotel is price gouged to fuck. We were looking at I think £200+ for a single night in a Travel Lodge so we’re staying in Newcastle instead and making the 2 hour or so drive up. A pain but a 4-5 hour round trip is much easier on our wallets and we can spend what we save on decent food and board games in Newcastle.

Yeah, I've paid a bit over the odds for the place where I'm staying but I figured I haven't had a proper holiday for several years so I'd push the boat out a bit on this trip. A bit of info in case it might turn out to be useful - apparently car parking near the Edinburgh O2 is a bit of a nightmare, but there's a big Asda next to the venue where you can park all night for like 4 quid or something.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, CAREBEAR LUVVA said:

Yeah, I've paid a bit over the odds for the place where I'm staying but I figured I haven't had a proper holiday for several years so I'd push the boat out a bit on this trip. A bit of info in case it might turn out to be useful - apparently car parking near the Edinburgh O2 is a bit of a nightmare, but there's a big Asda next to the venue where you can park all night for like 4 quid or something.

That’s a huge help thanks!

• Paid Members

DEVO were unbelievable and by far the best gig I’ve been to.

They played everything I hoped they would, including the 3 song encore they’ve missed out on a few shows on this tour (Freedom of Choice, Gut Feeling/Slap Your Mammy, Beautiful World with Booji Boy). 

The crowd were well into it, and so were DEVO who seemed to be having a blast. When the entire crowd loudly sang every word to Secret Agent Man, Bob 1 seemed genuinely taken aback he got such a reaction. Jerry was fun on the mic and for a 75 year old was dancing about like an idiot the whole thing. I heard rumours Mark couldn’t do as much since having Covid but there was no evidence of that here. Josh and Jeff were both great fits into the band too.

My only teeny tiny criticism and this isn’t for DEVO but might be a gig thing, is we were 4 rows back front and center and 3 times during the show we had people politely squeezing past us as if they were with people but then just stopping dead in front of us. Just really rude, especially when we’d been stood there an hour waiting. One lass who did it ended up catching a bit of jumpsuit they chucked into the crowd that likely would have been me if she hadn’t!

That being said, I saw my favourite band and got everything from the gig I would want. They hit every spot like Booji Boy, Bob’s guitar strings snapping on Smart Patrol/Mr DNA, and the wild energy of Jocko Homo. I caught a couple of bouncy balls they threw into the crowd and got an energy dome. 10/10.

boygenius were incredible in Halifax last night. The atmosphere was incredibly chaotic. People were passing out. It was crazy. I'm going again tonight. 

Genuinely feels like I'm seeing a band that's about to be fucking huge. I hope they stick with the boygenius project for a while longer before they go back to their solo stuff. 

• Paid Members

Heading to Clwb Ifor Thursday for Games We Play who are doing a small tour post Reading/Leeds weekend.

Really excited, first gig that's not been a festival in what seems like ages outside of my home town so will be nice.

Hoping to sort a PA ticket out, otherwise it'll be a keep an eye on my anxiety levels and stay towards the back of the venue for a quick escape night.

On 8/24/2023 at 9:07 PM, Panhead said:

Ethel Cain was opening for them and she was absolutely captivating. 

She's great, I'd imagine she'll be headlining big shows soon if she isn't already.

I'm going to the Saturday of Supersonic this weekend, the line-up over the three full days was really underwhelming this year but Saturday has both Godflesh and Backxwash headlining with great bands like Ashenspire and Divide & Dissolve earlier in the day.

7 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

She's great, I'd imagine she'll be headlining big shows soon if she isn't already.

I'm going to the Saturday of Supersonic this weekend, the line-up over the three full days was really underwhelming this year but Saturday has both Godflesh and Backxwash headlining with great bands like Ashenspire and Divide & Dissolve earlier in the day.

This looks a cool little festival. 

DJ Bus Replacement Service 🤣 what a superb name.

3 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

This looks a cool little festival. 

DJ Bus Replacement Service 🤣 what a superb name.

Yeah it's a real little gem in the middle of Brum, a very eclectic mix of genres with a good slide of doomy/droney metal. They had Decolonise Fest take over a lot last year, really helped it not be just the stuffy white music nerd kinda thing.

6 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Yeah it's a real little gem in the middle of Brum, a very eclectic mix of genres with a good slide of doomy/droney metal. They had Decolonise Fest take over a lot last year, really helped it not be just the stuffy white music nerd kinda thing.

I think the workshops sound very cool too.