Pride

Chris B

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Sucks that people tried to use that against you, @Carbomb. Nobody should be afraid to be the most honest version of themself that they can be, but unfortunately there's always that group of people who feel threatened by it and have to try and belittle it to make themselves feel more secure. 

Thanks, man - that wasn't quite the scenario, though. Basically, I'd joined a transgender dating group on Facebook; I'm fairly sure FB had reset my privacy settings, because I was certain I'd set my profile to private. Either way, it didn't matter because the person in question was a friend on FB at the time. Anyway, they went and "outed" me on here, posting a graphic of my list of joined groups (back when FB used to do that). 

They pretty much went and did the very thing that made me anxious to keep it private in the first place. 

• Paid Members

That's even shittier. Just using it to try and score some "cred points". Disgusting. Let people love who they want to love. Transwomen are women anyway, it's right there in the description. 

Pride has been incredibly important to me since I was very young, and I do think it's important for young people to see that they're not alone and helps them identify (not exclusively, people come out when they're older as well)

I started going when I was about 15 and me and my ex have taken our two children since they were babies. We used to go London but switched to Brighton as it's less crowded and there's the sea. The children have always loved it, and it's been heartening to see and hear just how different things are these days.

Even small things; my eldest has a YouTube channel where she makes gacha (no, me neither) animations and she has already posted two videos this month showcasing 'Pride' and her character will wear rainbow socks this month, and one of her friends saw and is doing similar.

Her and her friends regularly talk about the future and I've often heard them correcting each other. I was having a beer at one of their friends birthday parties recently (desperately trying to avoid talking to any of the other parents) and eldest's friend opened a present and one of the other girls said "oooh, I bet it's from your boyfriend" and another friend quickly piped up "Or girlfriend" and they all sort of nodded and agreed and it was one of the cutest things I've ever heard. 

Now when I made the same comment a while back to one of the other Dad's at the pub that my daughters could grow up and marry a man or a woman (my advice would be don't get married at all obviously :) ), it was met with a quick "Oh god, no I don't think so" and was dismissed as ludicrous. Whatever, i'm not arsed if that's someone's response, who am I to tell someone what to say, think or believe, but I do think the coming generations are much, much more open and responsive to the idea that anyone can love anyone.

My nephew is the same age as my eldest and has two gay uncles on his Dad's side and recently pulled his friends up for saying "That's really gay" when they were playing online, so things are definitely progressing. i'm sure not everywhere, but slowly but surely. 

My ex is, and has always been openly pansexual, and I knew this when we met. The kids have always known it, and we've always encouraged them to be open to all possibilities, and I've mentioned before that from a very early age, my youngest has always rejected the idea of being a 'girl' and isn't sure what she wants to be, but maybe that's for another thread (again, not looking for a parenting medal, just pointing out facts). We also have quite a few gay and trans people in our friends and family. 

Me? Despite having slept with many men (50 Cent voice: many many many many men), I still wouldn't class myself as a bisexual. I definitely fancy men, but I know that I fancy women much, much more, as well, they look a lot better naked and they smell nicer. I don't see myself having a relationship with another man, but who knows? I wouldn't rule the possibility out, but the idea of dealing with another 'me' just doesn't bear thinking about.

So, on that note, similar to Pat, I don't often voice my opinions on LGBTQ issues, as I am simply not informed enough and am not part of that community. I think Pride can be a fantastic opportunity for empowerment and education, but it still doesn't go far enough for me. Come July 1st, all these corporations will put away their rainbow headers and go back to being normal. I am sure some of them do some fantastic work for the community and I don't think Pride shouldn't be a thing obviously, but I'd like to see more year round representation than just a month of gayness.

This absolute bullshit from Hornby demonstrates just how fucking stupid and tone deaf companies can be. Shitty little trains anyway.

Anyway, what I'm saying is TL; DR be gay, do crimes. Much love x

• Paid Members

I remember an ex and I affectionately referring to each other as "beard and skirt", and she would regularly call me Princess whenever we went out. I also used to have a female friend in uni and we'd always point out cute guys to each other when we were out around Barnsley. I affectionately used to refer to her as my "fag hag". I've reigned in the queerness a lot since I was younger, in terms of my outward appearance anyhoo. I don't think my mum or my gran would be arsed. I painted my nails for a friend's wedding once, and was hurried through removing the nail polish before my gran arrived in spite of my saying "Gran will be upset that I've taken the nail varnish off." which she was. I think Mrs Jazzy is scared that being ace and enby means I don't love her for some reason. Couldn't be further from the truth. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
Just now, Chris B said:

@CarbombI still remember a line you used when you talked about bisexuality on here that made me laugh - it was along the lines of "I'm about 70% heterosexual and 40% homosexual, because I give everything 110%".

Hahaha, that must have been ages ago, because I don't remember that. Glad someone did.

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

That's even shittier. Just using it to try and score some "cred points". Disgusting. Let people love who they want to love. Transwomen are women anyway, it's right there in the description. 

Yeah it's really shit. But, I remember when it happened. And whilst I think I know it's not something I would have ever done to someone, I did have a giggle about it and no-one stood up for Carbomb so we were all complicit in our silence. I look at how far this place has come since then and how much I've grown personally and it does give me hope.

Sorry that happened to you here, Carbomb.

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Yeah it's really shit. But, I remember when it happened. And whilst I think I know it's not something I would have ever done to someone, I did have a giggle about it and no-one stood up for Carbomb so we were all complicit in our silence. I look at how far this place has come since then and how much I've grown personally and it does give me hope.

Sorry that happened to you here, Carbomb.

It's all good, man. Yes, I did feel very alone at the time, but I've seen how everyone's evolved on here (including myself), which is why I felt I could post about it now. I know you're all good 'uns at heart.

30 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

I hope this is how you end your UKFF Hall of Fame speech, Carbomb.

It's either that or "I wasn't really bi, I just helped out the gays when they were busy"

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Carbomb said:

In practical terms, I'm basically straight, but that's partly down to sheer laziness

My mate who is bi says that but for being gay. He hasn't been with a woman in years at this point, and while attracted to women has pretty much given up dating them due to the inevitable nightmare of at some point telling them he also likes men which sadly is still very much unaccepted by society as a whole. Amazing the number of people that have said to him "you're just gay ok?", includes family, women he's dated, and gay men.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Carbomb said:

They pretty much went and did the very thing that made me anxious to keep it private in the first place. 

I'm really sorry that happened to you, Bombcar, and sorry we didn't do more to stop it and the person/people who did it. 

I do think attitudes towards the lgbtq community has changed im straight but where as my dad and grandad where brought up to frown on gay people and gay bars I feel my generation is the most open minded and couldn’t give a shit if our friends or anyone isn’t straight and gay bars aren’t that bad (great for single straight women actually)

I also had the conversation that when I have kids I really won’t care if they are gay or straight and are happy 

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, neil said:

My mate who is bi says that but for being gay. He hasn't been with a woman in years at this point, and while attracted to women has pretty much given up dating them due to the inevitable nightmare of at some point telling them he also likes men which sadly is still very much unaccepted by society as a whole. Amazing the number of people that have said to him "you're just gay ok?", includes family, women he's dated, and gay men.

Yeah, biphobia is pretty rife.