The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Benitez gone. Honestly one of the weirdest appointments in footballing history. How did they think it would go?

Definitely the strangest appointment I've seen in this country (Neville at Valencia and some of the Real appointments top it), just madness. It never looked like it would be a successful choice. 

42 minutes ago, Statto said:

I don't remember too much about that Derby team, but... how fucking rancid must they have been??

Oh they were abysmal. I'm trying to think when it was- around 2005 or 2006 perhaps? But yeah they were proper shite. It looked like Sheffield United were going to beat their record recently until they sacked off that Chris bloke whose surname escapes me now. 

• Paid Members

I think it was 07-08 Derby, that was the year they got promoted back to the Prem. The season Spurs let everyone beat them handily to get Big Martin the sack but they were still able to beat Derby 4-0 before the axe fell.

I reckon it was a deflection tactic because Everton can’t/won’t spend money and that stadium is taking forever. It’s not like Rafa was hot shit, he’s been going out of style for years, quicker than Mourinho even. It’s mad because when Liverpool played his Valencia team it was like playing a team from another planet and he followed suit once he got here but he’s never adapted to modern football and he’s just a boring defensive manager now. 

Anyway, job done Rafa, we’ll always have Istanbul. Hopefully he get’s to fleece Newcastle for some sweet compo when Howe gets shit canned. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Statto said:

Norwich have quite the history of finishing/almost finishing off Everton managers:

A thought that struck me at the end of the game yesterday (as it won me a bet with a mate that Norwich wouldn't beat Derby's record low points total) - I'm a fairly optimistic Norwich fan, but I'll admit we are pretty weak in comparison to most of the league this year. We've also been pretty hard hit with injury to key players & covid, & apparently aren't one of the clubs that can just ask to have our matches called off. That said, we have gone past the Derby points total at just over the half way point of the season.

I don't remember too much about that Derby team, but... how fucking rancid must they have been??

It's incredible that Norwich are only a point from safety at this stage with the squad we've got. If you can't beat us, having not even registered double figures for Premier League goals at this stage in the season (prior to playing Everton), you deserve to get the boot. 

Norwich's history of ending opposition managerial reigns stretches to other personalities too - I was present during Ole's last game when he was in charge at Cardiff. The Bluebirds (then playing in red at home) were 2-0 up at half time. Norwich went on to win 4-2. One of my favourite City aways days, and the Cardiff fans in fairness were a good bunch. A storming night out followed. 

35 minutes ago, The Curious Orange said:

I still reckon Joe Kinnear getting the Newcastle job is the strangest appointment over here.

If we're talking Premier League appointments I think this one is definitely up there. Lower down the leagues there have been some crackers, but Leeds appointing Dave Hockaday was so out of left field. The equivalent of starting Football Manager at a conference side with the 'superstar' setting turned on and being able to take any job that came up no matter how far up the leagues they were. Bizarre. 

• Paid Members

Dennis Wise as Director of Football was another exceptionally weird hiring.

Newcastle have hired some utter shit in their time, and that's coming from a fan of a team that thought hiring Dean fucking Saunders would yield results.

• Paid Members
On 1/16/2022 at 5:37 PM, The Curious Orange said:

I still reckon Joe Kinnear getting the Newcastle job is the strangest appointment over here.

Yeah. It's like he disappeared for ten years, which might has well be 100 years in football, and turned up again. After he was sacked, he took on the "Director of Football" role at Newcastle and had an absolute car-crash interview with TalkSport after it, according to Wikipedia.

Kenny Dalglish coming back for a second time seemed a bit strange too but club legend and all that. 

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members
On 1/16/2022 at 10:38 PM, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Sacking Big Sam to bring in Steve Kean is up there. Blackburn are still recovering 12 years later.

It's still raw. He would have kept us up. Still not as confusing as when they decided the Rovers fans would love Owen Coyle as manager, though. Wow. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

Has anyone tanked their reputation and goodwill quicker than Owen Coyle? He was beloved at Burnley, fucked them over and crashed and burned pretty much everywhere. 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members

That he decided he'd be a fit at the Rovers at all speaks volumes for how inept he was. Presumably he remembered how they'd taken Andy Todd to their hearts and thought he could do the same as well. Mind you Owen Coyle never twatted Robin Van Persie during an FA Cup semi final.