UFC 264: Poirier vs McGregor 3 - Jul 10 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Flabbergasted anyone could watch Dustin’s interview and think he was anything less than the greatest man that ever lived. He gave that cokehead twat exactly what he had coming to him. Took his best shots and fired back to the point where Conor was the, “dusty bitch,” clinching. Left him crying on the floor. Revelled in it arguably less than he should have, and then proceeded to try and raise money for charity and give a shout out to a kid with cancer.

“I hope he goes home to his beautiful family.” Fuck me. What a wholesome guy. All whilst Conor is calling Dustin’s wife a ho. Their bank accounts might be different, but man. In that moment? One guy was winning at life and being a class act. And the scumbag confirmed everything we’ve known for years. Horrible person who’s nowhere close to what he used to be as a fighter, and even further removed from how good he thinks he still is.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

I said he was "being a dick" with his reaction. I dont think thats anyway near the same as saying someone is a cunt. 

We’re really splitting cunt hairs now. Nothing’s clouding my issues. I’m saying what it is. McGregor is an arse and, although two wrongs don’t make a right, McGregor’s wrongs were a lot worse than anything Poirier did. I think something is clouding the issue for you if I’m being honest. None of this discussion was meant as a pop at you personally. I was just disagreeing with your take on it. But you seem way too caught up on a minor part of this whole story in my opinion. The post-fight thing really wasn’t that big of a deal but you seem to be lasered in on it, looking for an angle to turn it against Poirier. If you’re a McGregor fan you can say, you know. There’s help out there for you 😉

• Paid Members
Just now, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Thats funny. Weren't you the leader of his fanclub for years ?

Yeah. Then bit by bit (over about a 6 or 7 year spell I’ll add), little things like racism, homophobia, assaulting old men and rape allegations soured me somewhat. Funny how that works. I didn’t just change my opinion overnight on a whim or to follow the crowd. Like Daz said the warning signs were there years ago with the Nazi comment but the hope was that it was an isolated case of very poor judgement and he’d wise up. Guess what? He didn’t. He got worse and worse to the point he resembles nothing of the fun character he was in 2013.

I don’t know what’s happened here, to be honest. I genuinely wasn’t having a go. I even tried to turn it a bit more lighthearted at the end there with the McGregor fan stuff and the 😉 because it’s really something of nothing. But whatever. Don’t worry. McGregor will be back more motivated than ever and in the best shape of his life. Dustin’s fooked next time. The McGregor fan club leader position isn’t available anymore though sorry. Sold it to Dillon Danis back in 2017 for half a Curly Wurly and a packet of Love Hearts.

• Paid Members

I remember when I was a fully paid up member of the Conor McGregor fan club, I always thought he was like a smarter, more talented, long-lost Diaz brother.

Incredibly though, he’s somehow overtaken them in his inability to ever admit defeat and always convince himself that he won every fight he ever had. Even if you get smashed up, knocked out or completely outclassed. Somehow, you still won and your opponent was scared of you. Your ankle snapped because you were getting mauled, mate. Seeing him scream, “doctors stoppage!” like it was some type of moral victory, as blood trickled down his smashed up face, was hilarious.

• Paid Members

Screenshot_20210711-124403_Chrome.jpg.22467045d501c9f7160a885e872d4435.jpg

"It's a doctors stoppage!!" 

Pretty unsatisfactory way to end it. What a classless prick McGregor is. On his arse and still chatting shit about Poirier's wife. Feels like Dustin just has his number though. I'd be happy to see a 4th so Dustin gets paid again and hopefully puts him out cold once more. 

Really fun show on the whole, just gutted it ended the way it did. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

I'm not sure either and that last one was a pop. I apologise.

No need to apologise. We’re not gonna agree on everything. It’s all just waffle between sleep deprived UK MMA fans. 

5 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I remember when I was a fully paid up member of the Conor McGregor fan club, I always thought he was like a smarter, more talented, long-lost Diaz brother.

Incredibly though, he’s somehow overtaken them in his inability to ever admit defeat and always convince himself that he won every fight he ever had. Even if you get smashed up, knocked out or completely outclassed. Somehow, you still won and your opponent was scared of you. Your ankle snapped because you were getting mauled, mate. Seeing him scream, “doctors stoppage!” like it was some type of moral victory, as blood trickled down his smashed up face, was hilarious.

Oh man, don’t get me started. This the other day was tragic. 

BEC81-A29-2-A29-40-E7-ADB4-775-E12715-A3

Try and wrap your head around that nonsense. 

And to think, he was roundly praised for how gracious he was after losing the Diaz fight. Times have changed. The Khabib loss still lives rent free in his head and now he’s got to convince his bum sniffers that Poirier’s fluked it twice in a row. To be fair, I definitely had Poirier up but I thought this was competitive and the fight was far from over before McGregor’s leg crumbled. But it’ll get spun now as if he was handing Dustin his arse and was robbed by his own weak ankle bones. They’ll do a fourth fight, he’ll be pictured drinking milk and that’ll be that narrative and the next phase of mythical McGregor transformations will be upon us. ‘He had a calcium deficiency bro. Now he’s drinking milk straight from the cow’s udders. He’s such a gangsta. Dustin’s dead. Just watch.’ Extra Calcium McGregor and his reinforced bones is gonna be a thing. 

Yeah, the guy who grabbed the mic after his interview to let people know about the charity he’s raising money for to build homes in Uganda, then praise a kid with cancer by calling him the true fighter and an inspiration clearly came across as the dickhead there. 

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Yep, especially as his takedown defence seems to consist solely of trying to shame fighters into keeping the game standing.

I'm proper fucking annoyed. I kept telling myself all day yesterday to set this to record, and I fucking forgot! Goddammit.

• Paid Members

Beautiful stuff. I'm only disappointed it ended that way because McGregor will clearly use it as an excuse to get a fourth fight with Dustin that he doesn't deserve. Tell you what he did deserve though. He deserved that broken ankle. Not just for the build up to this fight, but that's years of shit talk and dreadful behaviour coming back to bite him on the ass. 

Dustin showed way more class than anyone should have expected him to in that post fight interview. I want to see him get the belt in his next fight and truly put the cherry on the top of the sundae. 

On another fantastic note, way to go Bam Bam! To watch that huge sack of shit, Greg Hardy, fall flat on his arse following Tuivasa's clean left, was a thing of beauty. 

Edited by WeeAl

42 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Thats funny. Weren't you the leader of his fanclub for years ?

No, that was me.

Wow, what a way to see a fight end. I hate to say that he had that coming, but talking about sending a man out of the cage on a stretcher really is asking for fate to bite you on the arse, isn't it?

I thought McGregor looked well up for it, and as much of a cliche as it is to say it, the "old McGregor" was back. And by that I mean the swaggering, thoroughly unlikeable twat that I couldn't understand folk loving in the past. He also looked like the "old Conor" in the fight as well. A guy who has top notch precision with his strikes, and who's obviously a hell of an athlete, but who's lacking in grappling, clinching, and stamina. 

He came to fight this time around, and looked good in the opening exchanges, and he'd obviously been training those low kicks, hadn't he? He probably hoped he'd come in and reverse the storyline from the first fight, using them to his advantage. Pretty clear though that he paid the price when Poirier lifted his leg and McGregor caught him full-force with the top of his foot on what looked to be Poirier's knee. That's where the problem for McGregor's ankle began. 

It wasn't a freak shot or weird landing like we've seen in the past. 

I was looking forward to the second round, and if the ankle wasn't a factor you imagine it would still have been a pretty close fight in that second frame. Would anyone have been surprised if McGregor had buzzed and wobbled Poirier before stopping him? I wouldn't. But I wouldn't have been surprised if Poirier had caught McGregor either, or managed to get him to the floor and finish. 

The post earlier, I can't recall who it was, that said if they fought ten times Poirier would win all ten? Nah, that's nonsense. It seems the same people who bought into McGregor's hype years back have now flipped entirely the opposite direction if they're making claims like that. Two different flavours of Kool-Aid, but still Kool-Aid nonetheless.

The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Styles make fights, and McGregor and Poirier are stylistically suited to each other in a way that any fight between them will be close. Poirier has more ways to win the fight, but his style also leaves him open to being caught by a solid shot, and we know that's always McGregor's way to win.

If pushed I'd say Khabib beats McGregor ten times out of ten. And that's at a push, as there's always room for a shot landing that changes that fight as well. Poirier, while a great fighter, isn't Khabib. He's not at a level where anyone can seriously say he wins ten times out of ten against any top five lightweight. 

A shame it finished like that, as it leaves doubt in the minds of fans who watched it. But, I guess it means we'll get the rematch in a year or so. If Poirier beats Oliveira we'll likely see McGregor face him for the title, which will have everyone crying, but we know that's how it'll go down.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, WeeAl said:

Dustin showed way more class than anyone should have expected him to in that post fight interview. I want to see him get the belt in his next fight and truly out the cherry on the top of the sundae. 

See I don’t know about that. I love Dustin but I’m conflicted because I’m also not ready for the Champ Charles run to end. He’s only just got the belt and now I have to choose between these two?

594-A515-A-E186-4874-896-A-B1-E0-DC7-B5-

68687008-8317-405-E-9-CDE-DF01-BB17-CDDB

🥺

It’s fitting though that Oliveira vs Poirier is surely next. I think most felt that should’ve been the fight to crown a new champion when Khabib retired. Should be a cracker as well. It’s one of those fights that feels like it should’ve happened years ago. Even as recently as a few months ago I was Googling it as I was sure they must’ve crossed paths on some Fight Night in Brazil in 2014 or something. Fantastic fight and either way, a good egg leaves with the gold.

Already seeing Dana’s on about Poirier vs McGregor 4. Which is natural given the nature of how this one finished. But I’m guessing McGregor will be out for a while now. Assuming it’s Oliveira vs Poirier next, and it has to be really, if Dustin wins then Conor getting a title shot coming off this kind of form and having won a grand total of one fight at 155 in 5 years is gonna be some bullshit. I get the ‘it’s a business’ cack but it’s gonna be difficult for even Dana to spin McGregor as the number one contender under those circumstances. It’ll happen and I won’t be shocked. It’s just mad to think Conor could be in a position where he’s 1-2 to Poirier, 1-3 at Lightweight in the UFC, hasn’t beat a Lightweight since 2016 but…title shot. 

• Moderators

My only disappointment is that the ending does allow for McGregor/Poirier 4, which I can only tolerate if Poirier does get to fight Oliveira. After Conor's dumb as fuck comments about only counting knockouts as losses I hope Khabib comes back for one more against him and ignores him tapping because "they don't count".

Where does this kind of injury leave Conor anyway? If surgery is happening and he has plates/screws inserted I can only imagine he's gotta be out a solid 12 months. How will this injury and recovery impact his fucking motivation? I wouldn't be shocked if he retires, gives him and his fans all the excuses they can muster about his record and legacy.

I know I’d be downvoted to fuck on Sherdog but the O’Malley vs Moutinho match was pretty uncomfortable to watch. I was hoping it would’ve been stopped a lot sooner as he was never going to win and just risked more and more damage. Had no business being in there, but will have secured more UFC fights in doing so!