UFC 264: Poirier vs McGregor 3 - Jul 10 ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

awesome, enjoy it @HobowithaShotgun

ย 

1-0 Poirier for me. McGregor tried to kekindle the old magic but it wasnt there for me. Poirier not phased in the slightest.

Props to the guy who opened his question with "Conor, you've won one fight since Barack Obama was president..." ๐Ÿ˜„

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Egg Shen said:

awesome, enjoy it @HobowithaShotgun

ย 

1-0 Poirier for me. McGregor tried to kekindle the old magic but it wasnt there for me. Poirier not phased in the slightest.

Props to the guy who opened his question with "Conor, you've won one fight since Barack Obama was president..." ๐Ÿ˜„

Yeah, thought basically the same. Poirier was visibly aggitated at times but largely didn't bite. Pulled a Khabib on McGregor.

It's basically impossible to say without sounding like you've been worked because we've heard the bullshit so many times before ... but McGregor does genuinely look more up for this one. In an earlier interview I saw him mention getting into Dustin's head before the fight and you can see here that he's working hard to try and do that. He seems to be doing less media than normal and he's left his family at home instead of bringing them with him like normal. Don't get me wrong, I'm not buying it as being the reason he lost the second fight and I don't see it changing the result on Saturday. It's fair to argue he's more focused for this one though.

• Paid Members

Havenโ€™t watched the pressย conference yet. Was McGregor as embarrassing as at the Khabib presser? โ€˜Cause this shiteโ€ฆ

598-A406-D-7296-4-F74-BC46-4-D56-D023996

Thisย reeks of desperation. Obviously I get that heโ€™sย tryingย to get underย Dustinโ€™s skin but when you have to resort to this type of stuff it just tells me heโ€™s awareย that heโ€™s got to go all out to get toย Poirier to get the job done here. Like I said before the Khabib press conference, if he feels he has to go that far then how confident is he really that he wins?ย This is the best talk McGregorโ€™sย got these days?ย Pathetic. No doubt the arse sniffers are claiming he โ€˜wonโ€™ the press conference and Poirier looked rattled and terrified.ย 

• Paid Members

Exactly Wand. At the end of the day, Poirier just knocked him out. No amount of his talk can really get passed that. It's just not the same as back in the Aldo days. The fact he's clearly trying says a lot though.ย 

It's clear that McGregor is looking for Poirier to come in with the same approach as Eddie Alvarez. Which is basically to have a gameplan before fight week, then throw it out the window and let emotion play a part come the fight.ย 

I don't see Poirier doing that, but I still think he'll be facing a different McGregor this time around. Behind all the insults and craziness you have to think he's adjusted his gameplan and will come in with something different.

I'm still thinking that Connor could get that 2nd round stoppage if he can make the changes needed. It'll be razor close though I think. A lot closer than the first fight.

It's also worth remembering that he's trying to sell the fight. I'd say about 80% of what Connor does is to get everyone fired up, create the must-see spectacle and tally up those PPV points.ย 

It's pro wrestling 101.ย 

Edited by David

Yeah the press conference was a little up and down. some golden nuggets and some absolute cringe from McGregor but man does he seem fired up and that is either going 1 way or the other for him. He will either go out swinging like a mad man on a mission and get caught again and knocked potentially out of the UFC top 5 for good or he will keep his head use that energy and hit the target.ย 

I'm saying either way this will be done in the first 2 rounds for either Dustin or Conor.ย 

ย 

3 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

Yeah the press conference was a little up and down. some golden nuggets and some absolute cringe from McGregor but man does he seem fired up and that is either going 1 way or the other for him. He will either go out swinging like a mad man on a mission and get caught again and knocked potentially out of the UFC top 5 for good or he will keep his head use that energy and hit the target.ย 

I'm saying either way this will be done in the first 2 rounds for either Dustin or Conor.ย 

ย 

See, I don't think how any fighter acts in the press conference really makes much of a difference most of the time. We saw McGregor and Khabib go at it big time, but come the opening buzzer they both had their gameplans. No one lost the head.ย 

As mentioned above, the only fighter I've seen deviate from the gameplan was Alvarez, and he readily admitted it afterwards unless I'm mistaken.ย 

I reckon we'll see both fighters look to implement what they've been planning for weeks.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, David said:

As mentioned above, the only fighter I've seen deviate from the gameplan was Alvarez, and he readily admitted it afterwards unless I'm mistaken.ย 

Yeah, pretty sure Alvarez said his coaches were drumming into him throughout that camp to just circle away from McGregorโ€™s left side and wrestle. I think he did try a takedown or two but once he got tagged he seemed to abandon any kind of gameplan and was walking into McGregorโ€™s stuff.

Like you say, I donโ€™t think trash talk effects the actual fight much at all, except for very rare cases. And the Alvarez fight in particular had a pretty tame buildup in comparison to McGregorโ€™s fights with Aldo, Diaz, Khabib and so on. I think a lot of how that fight played out was down to Alvarezโ€™s willingness to just sack gameplans off and go balls out. Once he gets clipped he goes into war mode and itโ€™s been his downfall almostย as many times as itโ€™s won him fights. I still think that was probably McGregorโ€™s overall best performance though.ย 

• Paid Members

The press conference was like turning up to see an old singer and they can no longer hit the notes.ย Conor's head is mush and he very clearly doesn't have that sharp retort in him anymore. The highlight was indeed the random bringing up Conor's win record.

On the fight, it's a big old who knows. Both men will have made adjustments. Poirier was honest and said he was close to getting stopped early doors in their last fight, so Conor clearly can finish it.

Yeah, watched the press conference this morning and it was a bit sad. Conor seems like a desperate, insecure man. He tried his old hits, and it was immediately shut down with Poirier's simple, factual, "you got knocked the fuck out!" You could see the cogs turning in McGregor's head as he tried to think of a good comeback. Problem is, there really is none. The shit talk doesn't work when we had the result we had in January. Even that guy that brought up Conor's record- one win since Obama was prez- McGregor just tried to shout at him and drown him out "Shut yer mouth!ย Ya fooking rat!" There's really nothing he can say to gain any credibility. It's gotta be done in the cage now.

• Paid Members

Shades of that Khabibย press conference. Desperate. Zero charm or wit.ย He doesnโ€™t have it anymore. If anything, the best lines and the stuffย closest to what Conor used to be like wereย from Dustin flatlyย saying he got knocked the fuck out and then adding,ย โ€œnot McGregor fast, McGregor sleep.โ€

I still think the fightย could go either way, but Iโ€™m hoping Dustin smashes him again. Go fight Jake Paul, Conor.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Supremo said:

If anything, the best lines and the stuffย closest to what Conor used to be like wereย from Dustin flatlyย saying he got knocked the fuck out and then adding,ย โ€œnot McGregor fast, McGregor sleep.โ€

Alsoโ€ฆ

McGregor: YER WOIFE IS YER HUSBAND!

Poirier: Your trash talking used to be better than that. Fucking weak.ย 

• Paid Members

If this version of Conor was interrupted by Jeremy Stephens he'd fire back "Shut up, you little bitch. You're a little bitch. Shut your mouth, you little bitch. I'll kill you. You little bitch".

Then Stephens would point out he doesn't win many fights these days and Conor would shut up.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

See, I don't think how any fighter acts in the press conference really makes much of a difference most of the time. We saw McGregor and Khabib go at it big time, but come the opening buzzer they both had their gameplans. No one lost the head.ย 

I reckon we'll see both fighters look to implement what they've been planning for weeks.

It all plays a part, the antics mixed with the occasion can no doubt put a fighter into their shell and not perform on the night, especially, if a fight starts and you realise the guy is as good as he says he was, fighters can shell up and do nothing, or get desperate and fight out of character. That said, i cant see it rattling Poirier, he's too experienced and has been been there before, i think he'll be fine.

I do think we may see like a best ever version of McGregor in there for a round though, i just see Poirier suriving and McGregor falling apart if it goes past a minute and a half. Which is what most people seem to think will be what will happen.

ย 

It's also been said alot online but just because your at a press conference in the media dosen't mean you HAVE to ask something because some of the questions and people towards the end were so cringe. and you could tell Dustin and Conor were getting pissed off with it too.ย