UFC 264: Poirier vs McGregor 3 - Jul 10 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I do think McGregor is entitled to another shot at Dustin due to the way that ended but not necessarily entitled to a title shot if Dustin goes on to win the strap. However, his big issue is going to be that I can't see him competing at the same level after a break like that. He will be nervous to throw kicks at all and have to rely on his hands even more, which he already does to a huge extent. If I'm a fighter, I'm actively targeting it too. He'll never be at the same level again, he'd be best to just come back against a bum, win so he can do his victory and bow out. Then he can spend forever saying the UFC won't pay him the money he is due or something so he can keep knocking back the fights he has no chance in and say he's retired again.

22 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I know I’d be downvoted to fuck on Sherdog but the O’Malley vs Moutinho match was pretty uncomfortable to watch. I was hoping it would’ve been stopped a lot sooner as he was never going to win and just risked more and more damage. Had no business being in there, but will have secured more UFC fights in doing so!

Yeah, you just know that's the kind of performance that Dana will have loved. Not that uncle D has to worry about the CTE and resultant deterioration of quality of life that will no doubt accompany such a performance.

Just watched the prelims too, completing the card for me. Woke up 11am Sydney time, just in time for Price vs. Pereira, which was an incredible way to set the tone as my "opener" for the show. I'm starting to think that they haven't put MIchel Pereira in the game because they can't figure out how to program his moves into the game. A standing backflip into mount, Jesus.

Condit vs. Griffin was fun, but I'm beginning to think it's near the end of the road for the Natural Born Killer again. He got chewed up by those leg kicks of Griffin, sure, but he just seemed a step too slow to move and react generally.

The rest of the prelims were great fun. I enjoyed seeing Zhumagulov get that high angle guillotine, he's fast becoming an undercard favourite of mine, and seeing Ryan Hall get sparked in the middle of his leg diving shit was strangely satisfying. I don't dislike the guy, but it's clear he only has one (very dangerous) way to fight. du Plessis got a wild KO outta nowhere and Tavares/Akhmedov had a hard-hitting 3 rounder. Bit of everything.

Main card was the goods for me. Moutinho had all the heart in the world. Didn't like the stoppage, I know he was getting battered but he was hardly defenceless, he rocked O'Malley's shit about 6 seconds prior and was clearly with it still. It was a weird and arbitrary time to call it, he didn't fall, stumble or stagger, and he didn't go a prolonged period without landing shots of his own. Would have given him the last 30 seconds personally, but I guess Herb had money on a Suga Sean stoppage or something.

Aldana vs. Kunitskaya was good while it lasted. The women's divisions need more hard hitters so it's good to see Aldana really start to stand out as a finisher.

Tuivasa vs. Hardy is one of the biggest babyface vs. heel matches the UFC have ever put together. How can anyone hate Tuivasa? He's a good dude, a bit rough but it's part of his charm, and he sparked woman-beating cunt Hardy in seconds. Over the moon. Even as an Aussie though, I can't get behind the Shoey. So unsanitary. Volko did one online too. C'mon mate.

Burns vs. Wonderboy was fun, but played out how I expected. Funny how spoiled the Vegas crowd were with an action packed show- they booed the shit out of Burn's tactics as the first fighter on the card to use grappling for a prolonged period- and it was the co main. Burns was smart, Wonderboy had something of a hope spot with that spin kick late, but Burns gets it down. Also laughed my arse off at them trading strikes on the ground at the end of one of the rounds.

And the main event... look, Conor looked good in the early moments. Imagine if he wiped out Poirier with one of those spin kicks? And the leg kicks seemed to be working well- until they weren't. Conor proceeded to get smashed on the ground after inexplicably thinking he could catch a gullotine. He got battered. And now because of a freak accident, Conor's sitting there like Vince at the end of the 05 Rumble, shouting like a cockhead about Poirier's wife and "doctor stoppages". I hate that this has given the fuckwit a lifeline. I've soured on him so much after the second Poirier fight. I really thought he was maturing for a minute there. I got worked. Please fuck off forever, McGregor.

Poirier was excellent. He won't get the credit for this win, but hey, maybe he can turn people around when he fights Oliveira for the title. Tough one for me, been a big fan of both since 2010/11. Was more an Oliveira fan, but everything about the way Poirier's carried himself through these last two Conor fights has made me more of a fan of him. Including telling the booing crowd to "kiss his whole asshole". They were giving him shit for the cardinal sin of not being the bus-smashing, old man bashing, sex pest coke fiend Conor McGregor. Fook 'em all. 

53 minutes ago, David said:

Yeah, you just know that's the kind of performance that Dana will have loved. Not that uncle D has to worry about the CTE and resultant deterioration of quality of life that will no doubt accompany such a performance.

I did laugh and thought of Plastic Caesar when earlier I, I mean a mate, found a torrent to download the event and one of the screenshots was McG sat on the deck with Rogan interviewing him with his record in the graphic! I, erm I mean my mate had to stop tallying up McG losses in his head so the result wasn’t spoiled!  I could hear Dana saying “Serves you right, you prick”

1 hour ago, FUM said:

I do think McGregor is entitled to another shot at Dustin due to the way that ended but not necessarily entitled to a title shot if Dustin goes on to win the strap. However, his big issue is going to be that I can't see him competing at the same level after a break like that. He will be nervous to throw kicks at all and have to rely on his hands even more, which he already does to a huge extent. If I'm a fighter, I'm actively targeting it too. He'll never be at the same level again, he'd be best to just come back against a bum, win so he can do his victory and bow out. Then he can spend forever saying the UFC won't pay him the money he is due or something so he can keep knocking back the fights he has no chance in and say he's retired again.

Just out of curiosity, who in the lightweight division would we say Conor has no chance against? I can't think of anyone outside Khabib to be honest. At welterweight? Plenty of fighters he'd have little to no chance against. At lightweight though? I don't think the list is that long.

Also, for all his faults I don't think he's ever been one for knocking back fights. 

Edited by David

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, David said:

Just out of curiosity, who in the lightweight division would we say Conor has no chance against? I can't think of anyone outside Khabib to be honest. At welterweight? Plenty of fighters he'd have little to no chance against. At lightweight though? I don't think the list is that long.

Also, for all his faults I don't think he's ever been one for knocking back fights. 

I don't think it would be sensible to say he has no chance at all against any fighter. I wouldn't fancy his chances against the current version of Oliveira, but the only other person I can think who most likely would have his number is Islam Makhachev, for no better reason than he's from the same mould as Nurmagomedov. Everyone else, I think he's got more than enough of a chance (assuming this injury doesn't put paid to his MMA career).

• Paid Members

I was impressed with Herb Dean's stoppage. It was the right call. Moutinho was never going to win at that point, he was really buzzed and Herb either saved him from getting knocked out cold, or for taking another 15-20 relatively unanswered shots. Moutinho's stock wouldn't have gone up by anymore than it already had for simply lasting another 28 seconds or whatever it was. This fight was over, and realistically, could have been stopped earlier. 

Pleased to see Aldana win. Kunitskya isn't the most exciting fighter in the world. Women's 135 in general is the worst division in the company (I'm not counting 145). Hopefully Aldana can string enough wins together to be somewhat credible to face Nunes. Providing she gets the weight cut under control next time. 

Thompson Vs Burns was always going to do this to me. With two guys I like both fighting each other, I always end up more disappointed for the loser than pleased for the winner. I reckon Burns is going to have to win twice more though. Colby for whatever reason is getting the next shot (he's been fairly inactive, so I would leapfrog Edwards in here). Either way, those are Usman's next two opponents, should he win both. Burns Vs Masvidal was a good shout by Gilbert in that case. 

Conor looked pretty dreadful to be honest, he was gassed after a few minutes, and then started to initiate the grappling after Poirier started piecing him up.

The downfall has been insane, not helped by Mayweather boxing his head off, Khabib dominating him completely, and then Poirier knocking him out for the first time in MMA.

Poirier is a monster, couldn't believe that Dan Hardy said that Conor was a better martial artist before the fight. I like Dan, but he does say some odd shit sometimes. Poirier from head to toe, is better than Conor everywhere. From his mindset, to his kicking. 

I think Dustin will beat Oliveira for the belt, and hopefully, we don't see Conor get a title shot.