WWE & NJPW - Working Relationship?

Nick James

• Paid Members

Alex McCarthy has just tweeted that WWE are reportedly in talks to form an exclusive USA working relationship. Very interesting if true, although I couldn't personally see the relationship lasting long if it does get that far.

image.png.e1f553447f023c3776fa1368b340cde6.png

Edited by Nick James

• Paid Members

NXT Japan not working out, eh? 

Are they concerned about how Nagata was on Dynamite the other week, and Kojima will be at Against All Odds for Impact Wrestling in a few weeks. FinJuice's run as Impact tag champions?

What would it mean for their US title if this happened? Would they have to strip Moxley of it, or try and pull Moxley off of AEW TV? 

I doubt it's going to happen as I can't imagine anybody at New Japan would see something like this as a good idea. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

NXT Japan not working out, eh? 

Are they concerned about how Nagata was on Dynamite the other week, and Kojima will be at Against All Odds for Impact Wrestling in a few weeks. FinJuice's run as Impact tag champions?

What would it mean for their US title if this happened? Would they have to strip Moxley of it, or try and pull Moxley off of AEW TV? 

I doubt it's going to happen as I can't imagine anybody at New Japan would see something like this as a good idea. 

I doubt they would be worried about Nagata et al showing up. Nobody knows them, barring a niche audience in the UK. 

5 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

I doubt they would be worried about Nagata et al showing up. Nobody knows them, barring a niche audience in the UK. 

Is this AEW or Nagata? If AEW, that's obviously as bollocks as this WWE/NJPW relationship happening without a hitch is.

• Paid Members

I doubt anything will come of this, and I doubt even more that it would last more than a few months if it did, but it’s almost fitting that WWE want a partnership at a time when New Japan feels colder and less appealing than it has done in years. “You guys seem to have completely lost your way, putting out perplexing shit, why don’t we further lose our way and put out perplexing shit together?”

Okada or Ibushi vs. Roman Reigns in front of a live crowd though? I would watch the fuck out of that.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I doubt anything will come to this, and I doubt even more than it would last more than a few months if it did, but it’s almost fitting that WWE want a partnership at a time when New Japan feels colder and less appealing than it has done in years. “You guys seem to have completely lost your way, putting out perplexing shit, why don’t we further lose our way and put out perplexing shit together?”

In a perverse way, I think that's why this has come about. NJPW have been in the doldrums for the last year, really suffering under the effects of Covid and Covid restrictions, and it's accelerated their existing decline to the point that they've gone crawling back to Impact and to AEW to get their lads some work and to keep themselves in the conversation. 

They're financially and politically weaker than they've been in a long time, which suits WWE's needs - WWE aren't looking for an equal partner, they're looking to get NXT Japan through the backdoor. 

I doubt anything comes of it, mind. 

• Paid Members

Racked my brains to think whether this would ever have been something I'd have wanted to see. Whether at any point in my sad little smark phase, like when I thought Jerry Lynn was the best wrestler in the world, I'd have been in favour of this and I can honestly say I never have been. I just don't give a shit about 99% of what's going on over there. It's the only truth bomb Vinny Ru ever dropped.

There's never been a been a better time for WWE to do this. Having some lads over who can't cut a promo and have no discernable character but can work a 15 match on telly every week will be less of a problem than ever. They'll fit right in.