Elimination Chamber 2021

Supremo

6 hours ago, FUM said:

Feel like I might be the only person who was so bored of Drew as champion that I don't even care it was The Miz that won it. RAW is so dull it just needed something, anything different.

And the answer is to give it to someone who hasn't been good or relevant in years? Different doesn't always mean better.

Miz has always been an exhausting simulacrum of modern day WWE. There's been occasional deviation from that formula, but his best position for me will always be getting knocked about by some shit rapper or someone from Jackass in a SummerSlam gimmick match or something. He seems like a decent enough guy, so fair play to him for making quite an incredible career out of being one of their safe media hands. They're perfect for each other, Miz and corporate media giant WWE. 

He's on the Mt. Rushmore of local news network appearances, for sure. I'm sure you could re-license My Sacrifice and do a Desire video on him waking up at 04:30 in the morning to get interviewed by two tall drinks of coffee in some freezing cold Good Morning America! studio. 

I suppose you could put in that time he had the video package at WrestleMania 27, or the worked shoot stuff on Talking Smack he done with Daniel Bryan. 

Not a huge fan. 

• Paid Members

Miz is the epitome of modern WWE; I don't think any one wrestler embodies their style of wrestling and talking more than he does. Weird unnecessary pauses in every promo, mugging for the camera in daft backstage segments, everything choreographed to the Nth degree, and none of his offence looking any more impactful than a light breeze. Consistently bang average.

It's telling that the best he's ever been is when he has an angle or an opponent that drags him out of that comfort zone. Against Daniel Bryan, obviously, his promos were superb because he wasn't just hitting the same old notes. Against John Cena he had something to work with, and he even managed a genuinely great babyface match against Shane McMahon. But having inexplicably been thrown back in a 10+ year old tag team with John Morrison he's just going through the motions, and doing the old Heath Slater spot of getting knocked about by the celebrity du jour. The WWE Champion is a bloke who hasn't won a singles match since October - the match he won the Money In The Bank contract in - and before that not since January 2020, and who prior to his cash-in was getting slapped about by a celebrity with a comedy title belt while Byron Saxton fake laughed it up.

I get it, he's a heel, and you're supposed to think he's undeserving. But he's doing the same shit he's done for ten years, and not well. He's a cheap heat heel at a time when there are no fans to give him cheap heat. I doubt he'll be champion come Wrestlemania, and a match with Bad Bunny will be far more high profile anyway, but other than the albatross of the tired magic briefcase gimmick, I don't see why he had to win the title at all. There are better ways they could have given Drew McIntyre an out to have not been 100% when losing the title to someone. 

Other than that, my main take aways from this show were that Cesaro proved his worth as a solid utility player with what could have been a breakout performance but won't be because none of his other breakout performances ever went anywhere either, and that the entire roster is so fucking underwhelming and uninspiring at the moment that I couldn't possibly piece together a Wrestlemania card that feels worthy of the name based on the main roster alone, let alone a two day Wrestlemania. Drew McIntyre vs Bobby Lashley or Drew McIntyre vs The Miz don't scream Wrestlemania main event in any sense at all

I'm now absolutely convinced that they're going with Edge/Reigns and still using the pirate motif from last year's Mania because they've got a warehouse full of Spear vs. Spear merch with that logo from last year to shift.

The Vince McMahon of old, or any time long-standing WWE road agent or producer, would never have let a show air that had been booked to have two Elimination Chamber matches, both of them immediately followed by the babyface winner having to wrestle an impromptu match with a fresh heel for the title. Just staggering stuff. The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

• Paid Members

Melter made a great if incredibly depressing point last night. We’re nearly a full year into the nothing fucking matters era.

Whereas ten, twenty or thirty years ago you had to carefully balance pushing new guys in case ratings, buy rates, live attendances or crowd reactions went south, absolutely none of that matters now. TV money is guaranteed. Buyrates aren’t a thing anymore. Live attendance is virtual. You’re literally piping in the cheers and boos.

Never before have they had a larger period of time to rebuild and push whoever the fuck they wanted without fear of the consequences. Who cares if it doesn’t work at first. You’ve got months to experiment and tweak things as you go. It could’ve been the greatest blessing in disguise. You could’ve built a whole new generation of guys and spent forever preparing the audience to accept them as the next collection of big stars. And yet here we are. The Miz and Bobby Lashley fighting for the WWE Title. Incredible, really.