Best/Worst Announcers & Commentator Chat

BomberPat

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Must be bloody difficult too. I imagine most people have seen this but it's (mildly NSFW) audio of just Cole's side of a conversation between him and Vince:

One can imagine the sort of response he's getting.

It was enough to make Mick Foley walk away from money in 2008.Thats some biblical shit. 

16 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Bob Caudle is often overlooked. I see him more as an interviewer from my experience of his work, but he could certainly hold his own on commentary as well. 

Caudle and Dutch Mantel were great together in Smoky Mountain Wrestling.  I'n fact without hesitation, ahead of Venture, ahead of Heenan, I'd say Mantel is the greatest colour commentator I've ever seen

In regards to Worst Commentator, just be grateful you've never heard Rob Feinstein commentating for Jersey All Pro Wrestling in 2001.  A slew of sexual comments mixed in with unfunny "jokes" that only he seems to find funny and a fair bit of homophobia.  Makes the matches practically unwatchable as he tries to make it more about him than the wrestlers.

2 hours ago, ThommoLincs said:

One of the most under rated commentators of all time is the UKFF’s own @andrew "the ref" coyne

He was great during his time over here, is fucking magnificent at MCW in Australia and I’m genuinely shocked that he hasn’t in the very least had a tryout with a major company.

That you know of ;)

(Thank you)

I don't watch very much AEW but I tuned in to a couple of shows last year with Jericho on commentary and he was dreadful. Seemed to think he had to comment on every little thing that happened without dropping his heel character, but just didn't have the quickness of mind to pull it off. It was a really tough watch.

Obligatory Chet Lemon and Black Snow mention. Ive only ever watched that episode of Impact once and 22 year old me thought it was hysterical. I dread to think what 33 year old me makes of it.

I used to enjoy JR and Cornette on Raw back in the day- admittedly they were/are both ultra serious but 1998 was a serious time god dammit.

• Moderators

So the ones I said are still the best then? Ace. 

What about surreal teams? Mike McGuirk, Bruce Prichard and Pete Doherty from the Boston Garden in 87 or so has to be up there, as does Tom Prichard, Terry Taylor and Gorilla Monsoon from Superstars in 98.

Oooh,here's one. Angry Mike Tenay on Worldwide in 2000. Especially when it was him and Scott Hudson calling Him and Scott Hudson the internet commentary team when they were in sight of the camera when it was Thunder footage.

UK Worldwide tapes had great odd commentary. From Steven Regal commentating on his own matches in 1994 and claiming he was checking the canvas for dirt, Armando Quintero in 1999 acting like Cheech Marin, Larry Z the same year on C5 seeming even more bored than usual unless the Blue Bloods appeared who "Eat tea and sip Cumprets. The Big un from Wigan, Steve Regal!!!" to Angry Mike Tenay, the UK episodes of Worldwide always had marvellous "ah, fuck it anyway let's have a laugh" commentary. 

Historically on two occasions probably the biggest reach they ever had, far more than TNT, and it was spent pissing about. Pure WCW. 

Edited by PowerButchi

Monsoon/Ventura and Monsoon/Heenan were largely great.

While Monsoon eventually seemed a bit of out place when the other two above had left in the mid 90s, it boggles the mind that he was winning the worst commentator award in the observer regularly in the 90s.

JR/King were probably the most recent WWE duo that were iconic for a while, although they too perhaps diminished over time.

I'm struggling to pinpoint exactly when Michael Cole went from being ok to unbearable. Perhaps after his feud with Lawler?

28 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Oooh,here's one. Angry Mike Tenay on Worldwide in 2000. Especially when it was him and Scott Hudson calling Him and Scott Hudson the internet commentary team when they were in sight of the camera when it was Thunder footage

I vaguely remember heel Mike Tenay but have no idea if it was any good. 

Quick search on YouTube during Superbowl halftime was inconclusive