Old Lives Matter

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

“Oh the old days were better weren’t they? None of this new age bollocks. Do you remember the old days, eh? The boys in the locker room all had knives and guns and the streets had white dog shit everywhere. Do you remember white dog shit? I miss that. That’s proper dog shit that... and the food. Oh the food! Back then it was cheeseburgers and cocaine, now it’s quinoa and garlic bread. Foreign muck. I mean Garlic Bread?!? Anyway you’ve been a great audience, goodnight and remember Blue Lives Matter”

793FFE02-CB5E-47A4-ADC0-BC0F5F8176A0.jpeg

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, BomberPat said:

He's spent the better part of 25 years desperately trying to convince people that he's an MMA hard man and not a bloke in a shit drag queen's make-up pretending to be a zombie wizard. 

Taker’s future autobiography summed up in a paragraph perfectly there. 

3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Was it Tracy Smothers who, after taker was banging on about men being men and how today’s wrestlers have silly gimmicks, asked “How long have you been a zombie now, Mark?”  Or words to that effect. 

Yeah that was about Cloudy who managed the Body Donnas in 96. Tracy tells that story here;

And a bit more on Undertaker;

I remember seeing a video of Smothers talking about all this before and I made the mistake of scrolling down to the comments. It was all divs going ‘who’s this jobber? He’s just jealous. Taker’s done this and that and made all this money and this guy was just a midcarder in green trunks’ etc etc. As if his position on the card in WWF in 96, or not making as much money as Taker, makes his points any less valid. Plus Smothers was ace. It’s one of the reasons I’ve always believed Undertaker probably was a proper dickhead backstage. I’ve seen a ton of interviews and shoots with Tracy Smothers over the years and he’s the last old school wrestler I’d have described as bitter or jealous of anyone. I can’t remember him really bad mouthing anyone bar Undertaker and Shawn Michaels either. Which says a lot when you think about how long Tracy was around and how many wrestlers he crossed paths with.

I’ve never been the biggest fan of Undertaker but I definitely enjoyed periods of his career a lot. He’s been a bit of a cringefest for me ever since he came out of character and started doing interviews though. And there’s so much of it. I get that there was an interest in hearing him finally talk out of gimmick after he retired but did he have to do every interview and podcast going? He’s absolutely everywhere now. The novelty wore off quick and I’ve gone from being interested to hear what he has to say to never wanting to hear him speak again. I know it means nothing as well but he doesn’t come across as the hard man half as much as he probably wants to either. It’s got the feel of Ross Kemp in Extras to me.

C0-F69-EEC-AD9-F-4-C09-8-E4-D-664-B9-BF5

This but with more eyeliner. 

7 hours ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

I never understand the point of this kind of thing. It boils down to: Celebrity has his own political views! Wow.

Personally I think that the Undertaker is allowed to believe whatever he likes. I'm with him on many things...I can see that this forum is a huge anomaly in that the vast majority swing left to far left, but people going on about how The Undertaker is a bad man because his political choices don't align with theirs, is just a bit much. He's still a childhood hero. And, while you'd never believe it here, there are still a lot of right wing wrestling fans. Indeed, almost all the biggest stars of the WWF/E have been right wing to some extent. I'm much more inclined to believe The Undertaker's account of locker room goings on than that of an anonymous message board anyway. 

Let's continue to let a middle aged man, totally unrelated to ourselves, come to and report his conclusions following a lifestyle in a business we are not privy to. 

The speaker for the Knives and Guns - Sort it Like a Man! party has the floor. 

I loved Taker from start to finish in his career but I've been embarrassed by his right wing bullshit t-shirts out side the ring. 

To be fair, the locker room of yester-year crammed with angry, drunken, roided, coked up, whore banging, tobacco chewing, dead-by-40 characters probably _would_ intimidate the fuck out of the current clean living, acrobat, video game, Hasbro collecting, just-happy-to-be-there crew. But that doesn't make them better or worse. Just two completely different cultures / eras.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, IronSheik said:

To be fair, the locker room of yester-year crammed with angry, drunken, roided, coked up, whore banging, tobacco chewing, dead-by-40 characters probably _would_ intimidate the fuck out of the current clean living, acrobat, video game, Hasbro collecting, just-happy-to-be-there crew. But that doesn't make them better or worse. Just two completely different cultures / eras.

Pretty much.

Its always tickled me how excited today's WWE crop are, thrilled at even being there and absoloutely desperate for their Wrestlemania moment etc. They'd probably work for free if they had to.

And then you'll have an interviewer excitedly ask an 80's wrestler about how amazing it was to work Wrestlemania 6, for example, only for them to look completely lost. "Ugh... which show was that? New Jersey?" Like it meant fuck all and was just another stop on that never ending road trip.

I don't think having at least a few guys on the roster who are there for the paycheque and couldn't give a toss about fake, gay wrestling is always a bad thing.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

I've never been particularly surprised by takers political views. After all, he's an old rich white guy from Texas who lives in a total bubble. Of course he's going to be a Republican, and of course he's going to  not get the detail and think Blue Lives Matter is an actual, reasonable position to take.  He's wrong, obvi, but it's hardly a surprise. He was hardly going to have a Bernie sticker on the side of his coffin.

That said, to argue that the locker room he describes is better than what they're in now is absolutely absurd. The idea that the locker room is worse now that the boys dont think they have to carry a weapon to protect themselves is one I really can't get my head round. I guess this is what people are talking about when they talk about toxic masculinity.

• Paid Members

I watched this yesterday and it was weird to see him rip on the current lot for playing video games and then heap praise on someone like Daniel Cormier for his toughness and manly man Contributions to MMA. 

I then watched a seperate clip from UFC Embedded where Daniel Cormier gleefully announces he's been in his room playing video games all day. 

Amazing. 

12 hours ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

I never understand the point of this kind of thing. It boils down to: Celebrity has his own political views! Wow.

Personally I think that the Undertaker is allowed to believe whatever he likes. I'm with him on many things...I can see that this forum is a huge anomaly in that the vast majority swing left to far left, but people going on about how The Undertaker is a bad man because his political choices don't align with theirs, is just a bit much. He's still a childhood hero. And, while you'd never believe it here, there are still a lot of right wing wrestling fans. Indeed, almost all the biggest stars of the WWF/E have been right wing to some extent. I'm much more inclined to believe The Undertaker's account of locker room goings on than that of an anonymous message board anyway. 

Let's continue to let a middle aged man, totally unrelated to ourselves, come to and report his conclusions following a lifestyle in a business we are not privy to. 

Shhhh. Tow the forum line mate. It'll save alot of aggro. 😛

Wasn't there a SmackDown where Taz made a joke about London and Spanky "playing with their joysticks" instead of forcing themselves on a scantily clad Dawn Marie (might have been Torrie Wilson)? 

I wonder how The Undertaker feels about "straight edge" and fellow miserable fuck CM Punk actually having a go at the UFC. Probably eats him up.

Good job he played "zombie wizard" for most of his career rather than playing himself turned up to 11. 

• Paid Members

I hate the 'its no surprise they're right-wing racist/homophobic/daft cunts, look at where they come from' argument used when talking about people like Taker/Lesnar/Styles personal and political views. Like the fact he had an old-fashioned tough upbringing in Texas excuses what he says and thinks in 2021. They've spent years and years on the road with people from all walks of life, shared a locker room with people of all colours, nationalities and backgrounds. If that isn't enough to open up their narrow blinkered world-view then quite frankly they're either thick as fuck or nasty, spiteful people.