Old Lives Matter

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

It seems that any wrestler in that close, loyal to Vince circle is inevitably anĀ absolute massive prick. Road Dogg, Undertaker, Shawn Michaels, Triple H etc.. Bunch of fucking sad and arrogant weirdos.Ā 

The top guys who have the sense and guts to step away and realise their own worth outside that cult like system: Austin, Rock, Cena, Bret, Nash etc.Ā They all seem like cool, levelheaded normal guys in comparison.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Bret thought that losing at Survivor Series would be ā€œa blow to Canadaā€ and that everyone had their greatest match against him. Heā€™sĀ as arrogant as any of Vinceā€™s cronies, and I say that as a massive Bret Hart fan

He's definitely arrogant. As are Austin, Rock, Cena. You need to be arrogant to be a top star. But he's definitely not a brain dead right wing cunt like Vince's cronies tend to be.

I'm one of those huge Undertaker fans that some people have mentioned. I loved the gimmick, there's a shitload of matches that I can look back on throughout my younger years that I loved, and I'll always be a fan. From the whole Survivor Series carry-on with Hogan and Flair, to the Hell in the Cell, to the American Badass stuff.

When he started making moves to come out of the character mystique he's had over the years I had absolutely no doubt he'd sound like he does. He's an old school Texas guy who's spent most of his life living in a weird bubble where he never really stopped acting the character. He's not moved with the times because he's never really had to. His life has consisted of the wrestling bubble and living on a ranch or whatever in Texas.Ā 

I'm interested in hearing his stories at some point, but for as much of a fan as I am, I have no interest in his dumb opinions on police, politics or any of that shit. Take away all the wrestling stuff and he's just a big, lumbering old Texas hick. There's plenty of fuckers like that around, and I have no interest in their opinions either.

45 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

I just wonder what the general leanings are of wrestlers in general? There seem to be loads of right or republican wrestlers in the US but I'm unsure if they are just more vocal about it.Ā 

I was wondering about this myself.

I think we canĀ say that even if wrestling as a whole is economically right leaning it has become so much more socially progressive since Undi's day.

Compare how Sonny Kiss is just a guy on the roster with the Billy & Chuck angle of days gone by.

And it feels like people of colour are no longer being lumbered with stereotypical gimmicks. I'm prepared to be corrected on this.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Bret thought that losing at Survivor Series would be ā€œa blow to Canadaā€ and that everyone had their greatest match against him. Heā€™sĀ as arrogant as any of Vinceā€™s cronies, and I say that as a massive Bret Hart fan

I mean, LaGoosh mentioned an actual wife beater but, sure, Bret loves himself.Ā 

• Paid Members

Wasn't a condition of his ruling for that part of why he had to stop doing the beer bit for a time, or was that for something else?

I though a brush with the law meant if he was caught drinking he'd be up before a judge again, which included spilling down his shirt on TV.Ā 

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members

D60E91A5-6240-46BC-97E1-20C55126B127.thumb.jpeg.c099b7e6b21d28e9c5246b094e51820a.jpeg

Love the idea that shooting this commercial probably wreaked havoc on his fragile masculinity. Heaven forbid people think you play videos games. Itā€™ll ruin your manā€™s man image of wearing eyeliner and fake fightingĀ for a living, spending your spare time playing wrestlerā€™s court.

Didnā€™t he say in the documentary that the thing that attracted him toĀ Michelle McCool was how she threw a football? Haha. The tragic prick.

Edited by Supremo

My favourite people are those that straddled the divide between the old school, Carny, misogynist dickhead era and the new, geeky, used-to-be-content-being-fans era.

They just seem so bewildered how much itā€™s changed. Like bigoted parents living their kids ā€˜coming outā€™ moment on repeat forever.

• Paid Members

I remember Xavier Woods doing a podcast with someone and was called out on the locker room playing video games and he responded "how's it any different than playing cards which is what the boys used to do all day and night?" which I thought was a perfect response.Ā 

Edited by LaGoosh