Old Lives Matter

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I hate the 'its no surprise they're right-wing racist/homophobic/daft cunts, look at where they come from' argument used when talking about people like Taker/Lesnar/Styles personal and political views. Like the fact he had an old-fashioned tough upbringing in Texas excuses what he says and thinks in 2021. 

Erm, no.

It's not a surprise is not the same thing as an excuse. It's saying it's not a surprise. It's an explanation, not exoneration.

• Paid Members

I listened to the podcast when it aired and I must admit my overall opinion of the Undertaker has changed. 

Most of the salient points have already been covered (as usual @wandshogun09 has put an excellent post together) but this really was desperate stuff from the Undertaker. 

I hadn't realised just how much I had overlooked in terms of his short-comings both as a person and wrestler. You never heard from him. Ever. So when he was gone for long periods nobody thought about him and fans were automatically inclined to cheer for and support him. Absence makes the heart grow fonder definitely applies in his case. Taking a step back and looking at his career, his best stretch for me was Wrestlemania 25 thru 28. Yet most of that stretch was only so good because of the ability of HBK/HHH and the actual stories being told. The "Taker Template" he developed for his matches is so boring and repetitive in hindsight. Yet I cheered for him because there weren't long periods where I was exposed to him. Didn't get time to get bored because after a few weeks he was off for 11 months. 

Having listened to him talking about his career (and some of the claims he makes) it really shone a light on just how ignorant and out of touch he is for someone that has been around the business for thirty years. His arrogance too, is stunning. For example, having a dig at gamers is preposterous. Playing video games or playing cards. Are you a tough guy because you play cards?

The talent these days are under no less pressure than 'Taker's generation but they're handling it in a much more safe and productive way. If they're playing games they're less likely to be out all night, absolutely loaded with drugs and alcohol. They're less likely to be getting into the ring and putting someone's career/life in danger because they're hungover/unfit. Yes, social media is a big factor because any slight misstep or controversial situations are seen by millions of people that could have consequences for their careers. Wrestlers are much more likely to be fired now than they were in 'Taker's heyday. It makes today's talent think and look after themselves to give them longevity and job security. It does not by any means make them "soft "

Not wrestling 270 days a year also doesn't make today's talent soft, it makes them healthy. There is no need to drink into oblivion and take a tray of painkillers to numb the aches and pains these days which is why a majority have made it to their late 30s/early 40s. They are still delivering high quality matches whereas 'Taker's peers are racked with injury problems or dead. 

As I listened to it I was thinking that there's somebody like him in every class, every workplace, every gym and every other scene in life. What do I mean? He's a bullsh***er. We all know the type. The person who reacts to stories from colleagues by trying to one up everyone. You are telling work colleagues about your wedding and you had 80 guests. He then finds an "in" to the conversation and says his own was a relatively small affair with 250 guests. Your Rolex cost £20k, his obviously cost £40k and so on. He just seemed so petty labouring the point about how wrestlers today are scouted and have world class facilities and they get paid to train etc. He's just so bitter. He had to sit in an office every Wednesday for 8 months. Things were tougher back in the day because he ran about with folk with knives. He was better at being a wrestler because he never broke kayfabe. Everything he said was said to make himself look like a ticket. Before listening to it if I'd been asked "who do you think can handle themselves in a shoot?" I would have put 'Taker on the list. After hearing it, I'm convinced he'd fold up like an accordion. He protests too much. As much as Joe Rogan has his flaws, he is and always has been a legit martial artist.

'Taker even tried to convince us that if UFC had been around 30 years ago he'd have been a candidate, he's only not thought MMA up to this point because he's too old, ignorant of the fact world class MMA schools have existed forever. Also, he seemed really chuffed with himself telling Joe about Hell's Gate again as if it's a big deal. He showed a complete lack of self awareness and awareness of the world at large - society has moved on and has brought a whole load of pressures for the current generation to deal with. 

He had a template for his matches that he stuck to religiously and now he's got a template for what he says on podcasts. Every show he's been on he's led the conversation to the same junctures so he can talk up certain aspects of himself and his career.

He was trying so hard to put himself over. It's sad.  If you watched the podcast you could see the points where he made a face or winked or made a hand gesture to emphasise his importance, his pain threshold, his ability or his toughness.

Talking down potentially serious/catastrophic injuries to big himself up. The casual "oh I shattered my orbital bone but had no idea for three days during which time I was working" is absolute nonsense. That doesn't make you hard, that makes you stupid. Irrespective of the mentality "back then" it's stupid. And you know who is a carbon copy of in that respect? Hulk Hogan. 

After thirty years he starts talking and you realise he's just as arrogant, just as narrow minded and just as desperate to stay relevant as Hogan was. Similar beliefs and outlook. Similar jealousy and disrespect towards today's talent. Similar stink of someone who's been passed by that is desperately trying to stay relevant. Now that he has shown himself my opinion of him has soured. He's just like everyone else. He's not unique, he's not particularly smart or self aware and he's not the hero I thought he was growing up.

Edited by Suplex Sinner
Info

I can’t disagree with anything he said.

Wrestling has changed. It is soft. The content isn’t as good, it’s not as fun to watch.

The ratings alone tell you this & I can’t see how it can be argued with.

In general right now it’s the drizzling shits at the top level.

His political views are not important to me although I’m happy to hear he’s a Trump supporter & supports cops, shows class & sense.

• Paid Members

I know I mentioned it in my earlier post but I still can't get over how desperate he is for attention. I'll guarantee that he does a speaking tour and he will just repeat everything he's said here with odd nod and wink to emphasise how tough/good/respected he was. And charge £250-£300 for the privilege.

For a two hour podcast he actually says very little. Quick to say how tough he was and how he was a leader, close to Vince but he's equally as quick to distance himself from the difficult questions around steroids, his injuries or Vince himself. Scratch the surface and there's very little there. He wants you to buy the bulls*** he's selling.

Edited by Suplex Sinner
Spell check

If anything, it's really shitty how somebody that's looked up to and revered like The Undertaker has taken this opportunity to dump on the locker room. Instead of using his influence to question Vince and his shitty product he takes the easy way out and shits on the talent (and fans) like every other dumb fuck. I remember thinking it would be cool for Taker to have his own podcast, thinking about the wealth of knowledge and experience he'd share. How wrong that's proved to be. Dull bastard.

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

4 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

If anything, it's really shitty how somebody that's looked up to and revered like The Undertaker has taken this opportunity to dump on the locker room. Instead of using his influence to question Vince and his shitty product he takes the easy way out and shits on the talent (and fans) like every other dumb fuck. I remember thinking it would be cool for Taker to have his own podcast, thinking about the wealth of knowledge and experience he'd share. How wrong that's proved to be. Dull bastard.

He told the truth. Unbelievable how fickle you guys are. Shitting on a 30+ year career & unarguably one of the greatest ever in the business because he doesn’t like video game in the locker room & thinks talent need to toughen up.

Would he be incorrect if he turned around & said this era is the worst in the history of the business? No, he wouldn’t.

Internet ‘Rasslin fans offended by everything

1 hour ago, FlushFunk said:

I can’t disagree with anything he said.

Wrestling has changed. It is soft. The content isn’t as good, it’s not as fun to watch.

The ratings alone tell you this & I can’t see how it can be argued with.

In general right now it’s the drizzling shits at the top level.

His political views are not important to me although I’m happy to hear he’s a Trump supporter & supports cops, shows class & sense.

WWE Profits are at an all time high.
The existence of AEW,NJPW,MLW,IMPACT,ROH shows a strong and better funded base to the wrestling industry than in previous eras.
WWE expansion into Japan & India,
TNT announcing AEW will now be available on TNT Africa.
WWE has also essentially won YouTube and social media, not just standing far ahead in their own industry but also in sports in general.
You could even look at the rise of The Rock and Cena in Hollywood, both treated far more seriously than Hogan and reaching much higher. Also encouraging the production of various wrestling themed movies and TV shows

Now I don't think any of that actually indicates a better product but if you're going to pick one analytic and compare it to where the industry stood years ago like nothing has happened in the time in between and leaving out a dozen other measurable metrics then you're being deliberately obtuse. 

The product IS miles better though. Better production, better athletes, better life expectancy, better matches and it'll continue to get better the more the old guard fuck off.

Edited by Brudaker

Probably the greatest "sports entertainer" that ever lived. It's strange that we're only just now finding out who he is. That's some commitment. Someone who is 25 years rich is bound to be a right wing tosser but he has a point in that wrestling is at least supposed to present as real, that's kind of the primary principle. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Millard Rausch said:

Probably the greatest "sports entertainer" that ever lived. It's strange that we're only just now finding out who he is. That's some commitment. Someone who is 25 years rich is bound to be a right wing tosser but he has a point in that wrestling is at least supposed to present as real, that's kind of the primary principle. 

He shouldn’t have played a zombie for the best part of 30 years, then. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Millard Rausch said:

Probably no wrestler ever highlighted how fake and dumb wrestling is more than The Undertaker.