Guest Posted April 9, 2025 Posted April 9, 2025 (edited) 13 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said: What's happened? Just, seriously, what's happened? Honeymoon's over, the pitching arm isn't so fresh anymore, and it's the most creatively demanding part of the year. They'll get it back. Probably. Edited April 9, 2025 by Duke Quote
d-d-d-dAz Posted April 9, 2025 Posted April 9, 2025 (edited) 22 minutes ago, Duke said: Honeymoon's over, the pitching arm isn't so fresh anymore, and it's the most creatively demanding part of the year. They'll get it back. Probably. I don't know on either point. If they were telling normal stories badly I'd agree it's a creative stagnation; but the fact they've walked themselves into all these multi man matches makes me think there's something more structural going on. The most depressing view I've seen is that it's deliberate because the people who actually watch shows hasn't changed in years (and will watch regardless) and the current casual audience just wants social content and big entrances; so chuck as many big names on the show as you can and hey presto. I'm more inclined to believe that Triple H enjoys being popular with the boys and hasn't reconciled himself with having to say no occasionally. Or maybe there's something to the idea they're just saving the bigger stuff for the first two day Summerslam as they were worried about sales. Dunno. Either way, it's such a messy, busy, unsatisfying Wrestlemania build. Edited April 9, 2025 by d-d-d-dAz Don't know my Manias from my Summerslams Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted April 9, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 9, 2025 (edited) @d-d-d-dAz someone told me last week the build has been deliberately bad for Wrestlemania to lower expectations so it will over deliver on the nights, and he was being serious. Edited April 9, 2025 by Hannibal Scorch Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted April 9, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 9, 2025 I wonder how much the mess of multi-man matches has been because, under Triple H, PPVs have got a lot shorter, but there's still more pressure to get as many people on the card for 'Mania as possible. Maybe even contractual obligations for certain people to get Wrestlemania bonuses. Quote
Paid Members Supremo Posted April 9, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 9, 2025 1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said: What's happened? Just, seriously, what's happened? Previously fumbled men are no longer being fumbled. Quote
Paid Members Hannibal Scorch Posted April 9, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 9, 2025 57 minutes ago, BomberPat said: I wonder how much the mess of multi-man matches has been because, under Triple H, PPVs have got a lot shorter, but there's still more pressure to get as many people on the card for 'Mania as possible. Maybe even contractual obligations for certain people to get Wrestlemania bonuses. I didn’t think that was a thing? I thought PPV bonuses were cancelled when the WWE Network launched because I remember wrestlers being really vocal about it. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted April 10, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 10, 2025 16 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said: I didn’t think that was a thing? I thought PPV bonuses were cancelled when the WWE Network launched because I remember wrestlers being really vocal about it. Can't imagine PPV bonuses still being a thing when the "World Heavyweight Champion" hasn't worked one since November. Quote
Paid Members BomberPat Posted April 10, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 10, 2025 The board died when I tried to reply to this earlier.... PPV bonuses didn't die with the Network, so much as became worthless, and that's why people were pissed off about them - when you've negotiated a contract based on a presumption of getting a certain percentage every month, and then the company that hired you introduces something that by design stops people buying their PPVs so you make a lot less of that money, you can see why people would be furious about it. Same goes for royalties from DVD sales - the Network killed that as a meaningful percentage, even before WWE stopped producing them altogether. That said, there used to be a Wrestlemania bonus distinct from the PPV bonus. I did some digging and found a Meltzer quote where he said he felt that didn't exist any more outside of maybe a few top guys, and nor does the bonus they used to get for working the Saudi shows. So I'm prepared to admit I was wrong on this one, though I suppose there are still perks for talent working 'Mania in terms of in-person merch sales and so on. Quote
RIDDUM_N_STYLE Posted April 19, 2025 Posted April 19, 2025 Stand and Deliver delivered, excellent evening’s viewing with some great matches The biggest surprises of the night being Spoiler Hank and Tank ending Fraxiom’s tremendous tag title reign and Stacks turning heel on Tony D in the six man The 3 women’s matches between the pre show and main card delivered, particularly the ladder match and the triple threat main was a superb breakout for Je’Von Evans Shawn’s kids have laid the marker for the weekend, let’s see how the roster responds Quote
Paid Members RedTwoster Posted April 20, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 20, 2025 18 hours ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said: The 3 women’s matches between the pre show and main card delivered, particularly the ladder match and the triple threat main was a superb breakout for Je’Von Evans Evans is very impressive. It’s remarkable and rather scary that he’s this good at the age of just 20. People rightly talk up Oba Femi and Trick Williams as the future of WWE, but Evans has enormous potential. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted April 20, 2025 Posted April 20, 2025 That Hank and Tank match might end up being my favourite of the weekend. I love tag wrestling when it's done right. Such a shame it rarely translates to the main roster. Quote
Paid Members Kamran Posted April 21, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 21, 2025 (edited) On 4/19/2025 at 11:27 PM, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said: Stand and Deliver delivered, excellent evening’s viewing with some great matches The biggest surprises of the night being Reveal hidden contents Hank and Tank ending Fraxiom’s tremendous tag title reign and Stacks turning heel on Tony D in the six man The 3 women’s matches between the pre show and main card delivered, particularly the ladder match and the triple threat main was a superb breakout for Je’Von Evans Shawn’s kids have laid the marker for the weekend, let’s see how the roster responds I thought I'd try this yesterday as I felt a little let down with Night 1. Glad I did, I enjoyed it (not Booker T on commentary though) On 4/20/2025 at 6:14 PM, RedTwoster said: Evans is very impressive. It’s remarkable and rather scary that he’s this good at the age of just 20. People rightly talk up Oba Femi and Trick Williams as the future of WWE, but Evans has enormous potential. That triple-threat main event was excellent, all 3 looked great, Evans is so impressive, I can't believe he's only 20. I can't wait to see Femi head to the main roster, him and breaker have to be future Mania main eventers, On 4/20/2025 at 6:18 PM, DavidB6937 said: That Hank and Tank match might end up being my favourite of the weekend. I love tag wrestling when it's done right. Such a shame it rarely translates to the main roster. I wasn't really into this at the start, but they got me hooked, and I really enjoyed those final moments. Edited April 21, 2025 by Kamran Quote
Paid Members Arch Stanton Posted April 24, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 24, 2025 Two weeks in a row Penn & Teller have shown up on NXT and each time I've mistaken Penn for Joseph Park and have been left disappointed. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted April 24, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 24, 2025 56 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said: Penn & Teller This further underlines what a gaffe the random Travis Scott shite has been. THERE’S who should have made Cody’s reign disappear. Quote
Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted April 24, 2025 Paid Members Posted April 24, 2025 Lovely match between Vaquer and Perez, loads of good technical stuff. Shame the crowd was fucking comatose for it, they're usually somewhat awake on NXT. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.