WWE Network 2021

tiger_rick

Between the RVD Icons episode and Godfather's new sit down with Austin, there's some quite direct references right on WWE's own streaming service to the benefits of smoking cannabis lately. There's probably nothing more to it than that, and it's only going to be invested fans and not shareholders and advertising execs who watch this kind of content I know, but interesting nonetheless. It goes to show what can end up on the Network these days as more of an open creativity/exposure platform in contrast with how conservative and tightly controlled we've come to know WWE in the past. Been a good few years since the last wellness violation for weed, right? They might not be saying it, but I'd be shocked if they still actively tested and handed out sanctions for it, especially with CBD high strains becoming so trendy with athletes over there. 

23 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Between the RVD Icons episode and Godfather's new sit down with Austin, there's some quite direct references right on WWE's own streaming service to the benefits of smoking cannabis lately. There's probably nothing more to it than that, and it's only going to be invested fans and not shareholders and advertising execs who watch this kind of content I know, but interesting nonetheless. It goes to show what can end up on the Network these days as more of an open creativity/exposure platform in contrast with how conservative and tightly controlled we've come to know WWE in the past. Been a good few years since the last wellness violation for weed, right? They might not be saying it, but I'd be shocked if they still actively tested and handed out sanctions for it, especially with CBD high strains becoming so trendy with athletes over there. 

Can they still suspend them for that?   It's legal in most of the USA now.   I can't imagine they can suspend people for doing something that isn't illegal on their own free time.   Doing it at or before shows would be a different story though.

6 minutes ago, The Dart said:

Can they still suspend them for that?   It's legal in most of the USA now.   I can't imagine they can suspend people for doing something that isn't illegal on their own free time.   Doing it at or before shows would be a different story though.

Their drug policy makes sanctions for any illegal drugs, and I imagine they'd go by federal law for that in which case it's still a no-no. 

Not that that's of any consequence to Godfather and Austin. Again there's probably nothing to it, but I did notice it was the first Broken Skull I can recall that has quick fade in/out cuts between the topics being discussed, and on one or two occasions Austin's pretty uh...merry...upon their return.  

Listening to Between The Sheets the other week, the guys were talking about how WWF banning cannabis lead to wrestling's soma problem in the years after. I'm trying to remember but have the NFL now taken cannabis of the banned list after the players petitioned the league about it easing pain?

The BSS with the Godfather was a really fun watch, listening to his take on stuff like the Papa Shango/Warrior angle, the planned return for the gimmick in 97 and how Vince would just let him walk away for a period of time if he wasn’t feeling it on the road

I’ve heard many people on here praise it, but the Miz’s WWE 24 documentary is awesome (pun fully intended).

It gives new found respect to a wrestler that at times has been bland, but always finds a way to make his stuff work.

1 hour ago, The King Of Swing said:

Miz has been a solid hand for most of his career. 

Isn't he currently out with his first ever major injury? Pretty astonishing if so considering how long he's been around.

That was the rumour but he didn't appear to have crutches with him when he done the Dirt Sheet segment on Raw last week

Started watching the post draft Raw from 2002 as a backdrop to work. It's so jarring just how deserted and all over the place the show got.

As crap as the Invasion angle was, there was still a sense that they were hot throughout and that it was just a temporary interruption to programing. Okay the creative went even more south after Survivor Series, but you had the early intrigue of the nWo, Triple H's return and a WrestleMania that looked seriously big time on paper just from the draw of that one match. Those first Raws after the draft though. The good times are most definitely finished. 

Enough's been said about how well Smackdown done that year to develop its own identity. The red brand stinks though. It's rancid. The nWo immediately become a mid card outlet for writer's block, Austin's mentally left the company, 'Taker's in his tobacco chewing USA bully phase, Triple H is awful as a white meat face once the initial return excitement has died down and - well - there's Bradshaw. 

It probably goes to show how forgettable this era was that people seem to think JBL was his first big abrupt singles push. Bradshaw is all over these shows. They're running with him as a sort of backup Austin. Bubba Dudley is right behind him as hardcore champ, and then your midcard is rounded out by regular appearances from Spike Dudley, Raven, Jacqueline and the occasional bright spot who look like they'd be better off on Smackdown anyway. 

I do recall liking Raw when I got back into it in 2003. For all the moaning people do about the reign of terror, tightening it up and centering it around Evolution at least gave it purpose. It's lost, here. This goes on for months. It was morbid fun reminding myself just what they tried. The attempts at titillation are at an all time mysogynistic high as well. Far worse than the Attitude Era. 

Still better than today's Raw, mind. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I’ve only seen about a third of the Smoking Skull Sessions with Mick Foley but it’s a brilliant watch thus far. As always, there’s nothing better than watching Stone Cold watch pro-wrestling with his mates. I’d watch full episodes of him watching full matches with the lads, endlessly commenting about good bumps and feeds, marking out for everything.

Much like he was in the A&E Documentary, Mike comes across surprisingly well too. I don’t know why I assumed he was a brain damaged mess these days, but in both cases he’s really lucid and interesting to listen to. I hate the way everyone wants everyone to go to AEW, but watching Mick here I’m convinced he’s got something to offer. It seems crazy really that one of the best promos of all time isn’t signed anywhere and is left to dress as Santa in his basement. There aren’t many guys I’d trust more to come up with some good stuff and perform it well if given the freedom than Mick.

Edited by Supremo

3 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I’ve only seen about a third of the Smoking Skull Sessions with Mick Foley but it’s a brilliant watch thus far. As always, there’s nothing better than watching Stone Cold watch pro-wrestling with his mates. I’d watch full episodes of him watching full matches with the lads, endlessly commenting about good bumps and feeds, marking out for everything.

Much like he was in the A&E Documentary, Mike comes across surprisingly well too. I don’t know why I assumed he was a brain damaged mess these days, but in both cases he’s really lucid and interesting to listen to. I hate the way everyone wants everyone to go to AEW, but watching Mick here I’m convinced he’s got something to offer. It seems crazy really that one of the best promos of all time isn’t signed anywhere and is left to dress as Santa in his basement. There aren’t many guys I’d trust to come up with some good stuff and perform it well if given the freedom than Mick.

It is a great watch, as all the Broken Skull Sessions tend to be. Stories from Austin and Foley that you've heard a million times before, but they're still interesting and entertaining and you can tell they really like each other. 

Foley is in surprisingly good condition, considering the stuff he did in his career and what he's put his body through. He does mention at the end of the episode about how stuff like Mongo's recent diagnosis scares him and that, while it was all worth it now, his answer may be different in twenty years, depending on what happens to him. 

I don' t really think Mick needs to be in AEW or anywhere else at this stage. Even though he's mentally all there, I'm sure he's knackered physically and walks with a very noticeable limp. He can definitely contribute to the business somehow though, maybe doing some seminar work or something at the PC. 

On 6/12/2021 at 8:27 AM, Gay as FOOK said:

Started watching the post draft Raw from 2002 as a backdrop to work. It's so jarring just how deserted and all over the place the show got.

As crap as the Invasion angle was, there was still a sense that they were hot throughout and that it was just a temporary interruption to programing. Okay the creative went even more south after Survivor Series, but you had the early intrigue of the nWo, Triple H's return and a WrestleMania that looked seriously big time on paper just from the draw of that one match. Those first Raws after the draft though. The good times are most definitely finished. 

Enough's been said about how well Smackdown done that year to develop its own identity. The red brand stinks though. It's rancid. The nWo immediately become a mid card outlet for writer's block, Austin's mentally left the company, 'Taker's in his tobacco chewing USA bully phase, Triple H is awful as a white meat face once the initial return excitement has died down and - well - there's Bradshaw. 

It probably goes to show how forgettable this era was that people seem to think JBL was his first big abrupt singles push. Bradshaw is all over these shows. They're running with him as a sort of backup Austin. Bubba Dudley is right behind him as hardcore champ, and then your midcard is rounded out by regular appearances from Spike Dudley, Raven, Jacqueline and the occasional bright spot who look like they'd be better off on Smackdown anyway. 

I do recall liking Raw when I got back into it in 2003. For all the moaning people do about the reign of terror, tightening it up and centering it around Evolution at least gave it purpose. It's lost, here. This goes on for months. It was morbid fun reminding myself just what they tried. The attempts at titillation are at an all time mysogynistic high as well. Far worse than the Attitude Era. 

Still better than today's Raw, mind. 

Mid 2002 RAW had this moment though

Foley tells the stories so well.

His WWE run, the way it flowed from dark Mankind to Dude Love to the Hell in a Cell into the sappy Mankind, the double turn with the Rock etc etc

When it was good it was absolutely majestic and indeed it’s great Mick lives to tell the tale.

• 2 weeks later...

So apparently WWE are pausing production on their documentaries mean announced stuff like the Lex Luger Icons one that was due out today, the Untold episode on Nexus that was supposed to air last month and the Vladimir Superfan one won’t see air at present