AEW Video Games

Merzbow

Finally got round to giving a go as I was at work earlier.

I think I’ve got the hang of it now that I know to do taunts & finishers you only have to move the Right Stick rather than press it. The counters are still taking some mastering as I’m used to the buttons being different in the WWE games, but that’s a minor niggle.

One fun Easter Egg I’ve come across though- You can unload very early on as you’ll have enough in-game money from your first match. 
Bought him and decided to give him a try. In his entrance it says “HAPPY BIRTHDAY Cody”, today being his actual birthday. 
I know AEW have done things like that on TV before (mainly involving Adam Page) but it’s a fun little thing to look for as to what else they may have included 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

42 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

An homage to No Mercy probably seemed a smarter idea when it was first pitched and AEW was almost a super indy courting hardcore Internet fans. Now it's a viable mainstream promotion with a broader audience, whose expectations aren't necessarily informed by N64 nostalgia. That's a marketing challenge that they're obviously not winning if even people on here weren't prepared for what they got.

I think that's over complicating it. I'm enjoying the gameplay but it's unfinished. They know that because they've tried to compare the game to No Man's Sky the day after it released. Which is fine but NMS got deservedly shit on for ages and only turned it around after proving themselves. 

• Paid Members

I think the crux of the problem is: you can’t please everyone all of the time.

A number of people have been clamouring for a modern-day version of No Mercy for over two decades, then they’re given it and they still complain.

• Paid Members

Yeah I've found the dismissing of the inadequate CAW modes to be odd, as I remember the No Mercy CAW suite being surprisingly good. Like a lot of modern games, fans who have bought into the hype/brand are looking past any legitimate critique as they know it's Day One and will be fixed over time. But for me that isn't good enough, especially at a high price point. It's not like they slapped the 'early access' sign on the game to get round the issues either. It's sloppy but unfortunately that's the modern gaming landscape; release now, fix later.

1 hour ago, Accident Prone said:

Yeah I've found the dismissing of the inadequate CAW modes to be odd, as I remember the No Mercy CAW suite being surprisingly good. Like a lot of modern games, fans who have bought into the hype/brand are looking past any legitimate critique as they know it's Day One and will be fixed over time. But for me that isn't good enough, especially at a high price point. It's not like they slapped the 'early access' sign on the game to get round the issues either. It's sloppy but unfortunately that's the modern gaming landscape; release now, fix later.

I can't remember what No Mercy CAW was like. But I'd say a bigger problem for this CAW is that Matt Dickie did better with Wrestling Empire. I'm not a CAW expert, and I will make a few wrestlers but I am disappointed I basically can't put together a decent painted face wrestler or masked wrestlers 

4 hours ago, Your Fight Site said:

I think the crux of the problem is: you can’t please everyone all of the time.

A number of people have been clamouring for a modern-day version of No Mercy for over two decades, then they’re given it and they still complain.

To be fair, the people who thought they were getting a modern version of No Mercy probably have more right to complain than anyone. 

The crux of the problem isn't that you can't please everyone, it's that they released an unfinished game. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that disagrees with that. 

9 hours ago, Vamp said:

To be fair, the people who thought they were getting a modern version of No Mercy probably have more right to complain than anyone. 

The crux of the problem isn't that you can't please everyone, it's that they released an unfinished game. I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone that disagrees with that. 

I took the phrase of being modern N64 wrestling at a pinch of salt, kind of felt you'd just be disappointed. But I do think a more engrossing story mode (I enjoy the story mode so I'm not shitting on it) and/or CAW with the gameplay it provides would actually mean a must but game (for wrestling fans). As it stands I understand why people wouldn't like it but I think if you can get it on sale soon you should give it a whirl 

I'm a fan of the game but yeah it's definitely unfinished. Not unplayable unfinished which sadly does happen these days but releases with flaws to get it out 6 months earlier. Which I think is an issue with the game industry as a whole. Missing outfits, CAW options and some form of commentary. With the later none is probably better than JR half arseing it like he does with his voice work in the game.

On 6/29/2023 at 9:32 AM, thatvinylgeek said:

If you want the Xbox version and can activate the code via VPN (instructions are on the site), then CSJ CD Keys have it for £28.35

How long did it take to get your code on the xbox? I'm still waiting for the auto key to be raised, just says check back soon

I must be an outlier here, because I’m really enjoying it. I think if you buy these things primarily for multiplayer, you’re almost certainly going to have a good time. 

It’s not perfect, and it’s incredibly daft, but it knows exactly what it is and I appreciate that side of it. 

I do agree with everyone who says it feels unfinished, and I’m never a fan of micro transactions; but it’s absolutely hilarious to play with friends. The gameplay constantly surprised me with fun little twists, and yeah, the novelty of skateboarding around the ring, or a ring that’s more blood than canvas will wear off - but I think I’ll get my money’s worth out of this.

I’ve not played much of the single player, and realistically, this will likely plummet in price by the time the autumn comes around (I could definitely see it being an ultra-cheap Black Friday deal) - so I wouldn’t necessarily say buy it now; particularly given how stripped back the roster is. But I’m really enjoying it. As I mentioned, if you buy wrestling games specifically for multiplayer, I’d be really surprised if you didn’t have fun with this.

I'm enjoying it massively and so is my little girl.

The matches are over a little quickly for my taste and admittedly the customisation is lacking but it plays like a Venn diagram of No Mercy and All-Stars with a pinch of Def Jam.

I think the DLC strategy is greedy but I'm getting the season pass next week anyway.

37 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

So I got my copy, and I know I'm adding to the hate but I can't even give a custom wrestler white boots..

Customisation items is almost certainly where a lot of future microtransactions will come in, I think.

That and as Battle Pass rewards. 

3 hours ago, 2Xtreme_lives said:

How long did it take to get your code on the xbox? I'm still waiting for the auto key to be raised, just says check back soon

Yeah not sure what's going on...used them loads and had no issues in the past, but I'm still waiting. Have raised a ticket with them so hopefully be resolved soon.