Minor Annoyances (Vol 2)

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, gmoney said:

I guess my minor annoyance is people thinking the English language makes any sense and that it's only modern adaptations that make it silly or superfluous. It's chock full of contradictions and pointlessness already. 

I never noticed how needlessly complicated the English language is until my son started speaking and seeing how confused he'd get by stuff I said to him and I'd realise how many words we use that have multiple meanings that are completely unrelated to each other. 

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, air_raid said:

“Colours clashing” meaning either colours wildly contrasting or being too similar, depending on context, is my favourite.

I'd like to introduce you to sanction, which has two totally opposite meanings. "The scheme was sanctioned by the court" doesn't tell you anything without further context.

• Paid Members
38 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

I'd like to introduce you to sanction, which has two totally opposite meanings. "The scheme was sanctioned by the court" doesn't tell you anything without further context.

And the twin bastard stepsisters of all of these, which we have come across before - flammable and inflammable, two opposite-sounding words which mean the same.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

A good friend of mine randomly added a message to our WhatsApp group a few years back saying “I’m on Channel 4 tonight at 8pm” and then said no more. We all tuned in to see him take part in a “face your phobias” type show because he was scared of birds. He’d never mentioned his phobia before and hadn’t told any of us he’d been on this show.

The promo shot was of him holding Why Bird from Playdays.

Edited by Scratch

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Ronnie said:

2 hours ago, air_raid said:

And the twin bastard stepsisters of all of these, which we have come across before - flammable and inflammable, two opposite-sounding words which mean the same.

And, of course, "sanguine" meaning both calm/laid back, and bloodthirsty and savage.

Also, "to dust".

• Members
56 minutes ago, Scratch said:

A good friend of mine randomly added a message to our WhatsApp group a few years back saying “I’m on Channel 4 tonight at 8pm” and then said no more. We all tuned in to see him take part in a “face your phobias” type show because he was scared of birds. He’d never mentioned his phobia before and hadn’t told any of us he’d been on this show.

The promo shot was of him holding Why Bird from Playdays.

Didn't know you were friends with Slapnut.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, air_raid said:

Ah, I have sympathy in that case, however! We have a series of prefixes beginning with i- which mean "not", and the second letter varying depending on the sound it precedes: improper, inexact, illegal, irrelevant, imperfect, incorrect, illegitimate, irresponsible ...  

It's pretty obvious to me why somebody would see inflammable and think of it as being something which isn't "flammable", with that second word being related to flame. (Pretty obvious because I thought that that's what it meant for most of my own life.) And since plenty of people did indeed misunderstand what "inflammable" means then "flammable" came into existence. (The opposite of both, if your interested is piqued, is "non-flammable". Note: not "uninflammable"!)

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, deathrey said:

I loved Why Bird! Which was the Merry Go Round? Why Bird was Monday and whatever stop it was in Friday was my other favourite

The one with the really annoying song ("roll up and ride on Rosie") and a cat, called Poppy I think?