Work

Tommy!

52 minutes ago, Kookoocachu said:

As previously mentioned I’m trying to get back into regular employment after a good 13yr break (for those who don’t know I have MS). 
I’ve applied for all I can and either I’m still waiting on hearing anything or I can’t even secure an interview. 
A couple of jobs have come up but they’re fixed term contracts of 6 months or a year. Would you apply for these also? I don’t really want to be back to square one after the term is up but I also think maybe I’d have more luck in securing another job if I’m already in work. The jobs themselves aren’t really what I want to do, but unfortunately I don’t really have the luxury of being able to pick and choose.

I'd definitely apply for them.

As you mentioned, the best option is to be in work (albeit for a FTC) and whilst you have that security, continue to look for something more long term.

Saying that, if you do a fantastic job, they'll not want to lose you after 6 months, so will look for something else for you in all probability, and you might love it and want to stay there.

Regarding your MS, it's not something I know a lot about, but at work we had a presentation by the civil service on their programme called Access To Work, which helps with reasonable adjustments in the work place https://www.gov.uk/access-to-work

There's actually loads out there to help, but most people aren't aware of it until you ask, and even then, there's massive rigmarole around applying sometimes.

Perhaps that could be something to help, along with looking at Disability Confident Employers. (I'm terribly sorry if MS doesn't fall under that catch all term, but I looked and I think it does) 

That way, you're looking at employers that will actively help support you back into the workplace. 

Anything else I can help with, let me know.

On 11/19/2021 at 6:18 PM, Tommy! said:

I returned to work after time off sick and my manager didn't conduct any back to work assesment. I always thought they should be completing that straight off to make sure I'm safe to be on site, am I wrong there?

Much like a couple of offices I've worked in they don't really care as long as stuff gets done and generally overlook the odd cuts and erratic behaviour as long as I don't freak out the norms, so it's especially a box ticking job for them anyway, but it's made me question my prior understanding of the process.

You are right that they should be doing this with every person who has been absent (even if its 1 day in 10 years) from a health/welfare point of view but also selfishly the business can also manage absences. 

If you are concerned about being managed on attendance/think you could be managed then I would just keep quiet if you've not had a return to work, something that could go in your favour in future. 

I did a fixed term job once and liked it knowing I wasn't going to be there forever, in the end I got offered permanent work elsewhere and had to take it for financial reasons but did later get offered a full time job for the fixed term job because they liked me but had to turn it down so it does have its advantages. 

I think in an ideal world (without financial risks) I would love to always do fixed term jobs for 3-6 months, something new and different 2-3 times a year but too risky to be out of a job every few months and employers would look at my CV and see a short history between jobs which probably won't help me either. 

Edited by Briefcase

On 11/2/2021 at 10:37 PM, Slapnut said:

So I managed to find an email address for their hiring department and sent an email requesting further information on how this decision has been made, and today I’ve unexpectedly received a response asking if I’d like a call to discuss further. I’m not hopeful of being reconsidered, but I’m feeling a little more positive about at least discussing their decision.

Update: she didn’t call me and she’s now ignoring my emails. Wankers.

1 hour ago, Slapnut said:

I would be tempted to write back and say something like you are a undercover reporter for a television show/newspaper sharing experiences applicants/candidates go through just so she shits herself. 

Edited by Briefcase

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Slapnut said:

Although you're are probably right and they are ignoring your emails and being wankers, it might be worth holding on a bit longer in case the person in question is on annual leave, or has gone sick suddenly (especially given COVID). It's not impossible that there is a potentially logical reason they haven't got back to you.