General Pinochet's All New Domestic Football 20/21. Arsenal and Spurs free!!!

PowerButchi

The problem Moyes had at United was that he was given a chance at all. Terrible fit for them and for any team with aspirations of winning and playing positive attacking football. Look at the job he’s doing now, exactly the same as he did at Everton, same style and circumstances. Fair play to him, I thought he was completely busted.

Yeah it’s getting a bit revisionist with this “Moyes was never given a fair chance at Man Utd” rhetoric that’s been coming out.

He’s doing a good job with West Ham this season, it wasn’t much of an achievement keeping them up last season to be honest, they shouldn’t have been down there, let’s not forget he was an absolute joke at Sunderland and when he went to Spain also, but credit where it’s due this season.

The thing is, and this is not just with Moyes and West Ham, but I think it is so hard to judge any manager and club properly this season as it’s such an anomaly, it goes without saying these are not normal times we’re living in and football this season, especially in England, has illustrated that, there’s been some crazy results and performances,  many that defy belief. Aside from Man City theres no team with any real consistency whatsoever, literally with West Ham, Everton, Leicester and Leeds just to name a few there’s no telling from one game to the next what the results going to be.

It’s such a strange season and until fans are back I don’t think we’ll really know for sure the state some clubs are in and what their potential/current standing is. There’s no way in my opinion Leeds would have lost as many home games as they have this season if there was fans, Liverpool would not have lost to Burnley and Brighton if Anfield was full, on the other side of that, I don’t think Man Utd’s away record would be as good as it was if fans were there, home advantage pretty much doesn’t stand anymore. Managers like Bruce and Mourinho would be under a hell of a lot more pressure to perform a lot differently if fans were in, Arteta may not have made it through his bad spell if fans were there and Arsenal got those results at the Emirates (results which ironically may not have happened if fans were in).

Anyway, gone off on a tangent a little so sorry to change the subject slightly on Moyes, but like I say until fans are back I think it’s impossible to properly judge the quality of how teams are performing and whether it’s sustainable or not.

Edited by Doog

• Paid Members

Been a lot of discussion about more and more players doing a Harry Kane, ie: backing into players jumping for a header and risking breaking their necks. Should it be a red card offence and, if so, would Harry Kane have played any games the last couple of seasons?

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, LCJ said:

A lot of that Man United side that Moyes inherited were over the age of thirty and Scholes had just retired. Reminded me of Souness taking over at Liverpool in ‘91. I don’t think Moyes was given much of a chance at Man United either. 

Man City looking like favourites for the title now that Liverpool’s injury crisis has caught up with them. City have some tricky games coming up though.

Moyes is a mid-table or "best of the rest" manager and he turned a title winning team into a mid-table team. That United team were getting past it and it's to SAF credit that he squeezed a title out of the fumes of his last great side, but that's the difference isn't it? Moyes came in, brought in his Everton staff, alienated the squad and got Everton results. It was also Woodward's first season so he made an absolute arse out of recruitment, but Moyes is also the manager that turned down the chance to sign Thiago.

Moyes did get a chance but you can't take a title winning team and, at the time, a team that usually won the title most years, and play the part in having them finish 7th.

Didn’t Moyes also want Fabregas at United but didn’t manage to get him? Was going to be a difficult job for anyone following Ferguson. Although he won trophies and finished second, it didn’t exactly end well for Mourinho there either.

3 hours ago, LCJ said:

Didn’t Moyes also want Fabregas at United but didn’t manage to get him? Was going to be a difficult job for anyone following Ferguson. Although he won trophies and finished second, it didn’t exactly end well for Mourinho there either.

Moyes did want Fabregas, but it was only after both he and Giggs decided that Thiago Alcantara wasn't up to it. Thiago went to Bayern for 20m, and Barca weren't letting go of 2 Centre Mids in 1 summer. 

9 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

He's even managed to cut Fellaini's hair and give him a Czech passport. 

I made that exact same (lazy) comparison when a mate was touting Soucek as a possible midfield option in the transfer market. Good player for that style and level mind.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I made that exact same (lazy) comparison when a mate was touting Soucek as a possible midfield option in the transfer market. Good player for that style and level mind.

I actually thought last night he'd be a good option for you, looking at the amount of crosses you stick in the box. 

12 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

I actually thought last night he'd be a good option for you, looking at the amount of crosses you stick in the box. 

The player I’ve seen us linked to for when Gini fucks off that I can see being a possibility is Bissouma. There was also a mad rumour that we were looking at Renato Sanches of shit at Swansea fame. Seems a bit injury prone though. 

No worries though, Haaland will mop up all those crosses.