• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Abe_Knuckleball_Schwartz said:

I watched all episodes back to back and it does work better as one long piece, Steve Coogan is a wonderful actor.

I watched it in two parts over a night and a morning. There's probably a really good two hour edit of it that could be done.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

How? He seemed perfect to me.

He was incredible as Savile, probably the most accurate biopic acting I've ever seen. The show was a bit boring though, should have been a film or something.

For some reason I just couldn't picture him as Savile. You're absolutely right, he was incredible, a superb performance. I imagine it's difficult to play someone like that but he absolutely nailed it as I said.

18 minutes ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

Just finished 'The Fall of the House of Usher' on Netflix. 

I really enjoyed it. Fairly mild horror with loads of Poe references. Great for me.

Is that the new Mike Flanagan one? Saw Rahul Kohli mention it on social media and made a very bad mental note to watch it, then forgot what it was called!

• Paid Members

Having watched the Jimmy Saville drama after some posts in here and a few friends raving about the casting, I have to echo a lot of the same thoughts.

Coogan continues to be in a way not underrated but not given his flowers for his character work throughout. We talk of people like Daniel Day Lewis in films being so method and becoming so entwined in his roles but someone like Coogan who mastered characters like Alan Partridge and continues to shine in different genres but always around biopic style casting, the effort and intricacies he puts in is magnificent.

Is it in poor taste for him to be nominated for a BAFTA in a way celebrating how well he played a monster?

The episodes did somewhat drag though and while the real awful moments stood out and you felt uneasy throughout, it would have been better being done as just a one episode 2 hour biopic. In a generation of binge watching though, it would have been common sense for myself to not watch 4 hours of the life of Jimmy Saville and not feel uneasy after it.

4 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

Is it in poor taste for him to be nominated for a BAFTA in a way celebrating how well he played a monster?

Not really. People have played horrendous real life characters and won awards before. Knowing Coogan though I think he might ask not to be considered,

A few series I've been watching that are quite easy to follow:

Cobra: Rebellion - reasonable but pretty OTT storylines but a roller coaster of a final episode.

Payback - looks good so far, but seems like it could either go brilliant or go off a cliff and be shite.

W1A --found on iPlayer and forgotten how funny it is, in a deadpan way. 

Welcome to Wrexham S2 - nowhere near as good as the first one, but ok nonetheless.

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Very good. The previous Maccies advert with the smug overly-happy bastards in the traffic jam raising their eyebrows at each other is the worst advert I've ever seen though.

This one makes my blood boil. When I went to see The Meg 2 doing the 4DX gimmick and that ad came on I was convinced they were going to spray water at me in time with the eyebrow raises and it would be my serial killer origin‐story!