The Official UKFF RAW thread (part 2)...

• Paid Members

I think the one thing that has been forgotten about The Rock turning up on Raw is that it's just a power move to increase the TV rights fee when they renegotiate. Whether Dwayne goes on to Mania, Elimination Chamber, or beyond the key thing for the WWE is that he turned up on Raw. It's just part of the ongoing cash grab. 

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

All these predictions and possibilities beats previous Mania years where the main event was set in stone months in advance. No deviating from The Plan.

I mean, it's tough to really make an assessment on that in recent years. Not including ones where the plans for one title or another got changed for the show or in the build up because Roman had leukaemia, chose to self-isolate instead of wrestling Goldberg, or missed Day One because he tested positive (scrapping plans for a Rollins WWE title win and defence at Mania 38), you've got 37 where it was going to be Orton vs Edge for the WWE title in an I Quit revenge match (Orton not losing that belt back to Drew) until Edge pitched winning the Rumble, and last year, which Rock said in September was originally going to be Reigns vs himself.

• Paid Members

One positive for The Rock compared to the likes of Hogan is that the mainstream still seems to view him as largely a cool, contemporary star. Any match would almost certainly be terrible, but there's nobody bringing up that he's older than either Hogan or Piper were in their "Age In The Cage" match, or most of the participants in the Gimmick Battle Royal. He doesn't have the vibe of a knackered old man going back to do that silly wrestling.

I’d still be surprised if they did it at Elimination Chamber, I can see them delaying the Cody coronation until Mania 41 as boring as another year of Reigns sounds.

I’m definitely pleased it looks like it’s happening though. There’s not enough dream matches left not to be. 

It's a shame the World Heavyweight championship is so new. If it had any credibility you could possibly have Cody win it on Night 1, Roman beat Rock on Night 2, have Cody come out and confront Roman at the end of Night 2, run a special event in May with Cody/Reigns 2. Fuck it, do it on TV and see if you can pop a monster rating ahead of TV negotiations since its not like you're losing out on PPV buys. 

They get their Mania dream match, Cody can get the title, they can see if they can keep the Mania audience around for the prospect of Cody winning, and they need to get away from the idea that important things only happen at Mania. 

But you need Cody to win something credible on night 1 for it to mean anything. A number one contendership match wouldn't do it. I don't think beating Orton does it. Maybe beating a heel Punk would at a push. Not convinced really. 

I'm not convinced the plan ever was to make Cody the man though. I think they look at him as the same age as Roman, with probably as many miles on the clock physically, and just don't see him as the one to beat Reigns. 

I'm the most split human being in history right now. On one side we have all been desperate for this match which the world has rumoured and speculated about nearly a year and a half and like it's said above this is a true dream match in the WWE which there just aren't many of those left

But I just feel like Cody is getting shunted after truly deserving it and now leaving him with dim options at the biggest stage of them all.

I guess we will have goo see but no way are they not having the rock Vs Roman at mania 

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

On one side we have all been desperate for this match which the world has rumoured and speculated about nearly a year and a half

Not read the last five pages?

17 hours ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

Gunther Vs Brock? 

I'd quite like to see Brock vs Nakamura.

Don't like the idea of Brock going after the IC belt, what for?

Gunther/Brock sounds like a cracking match for the World Title at next years Mania to me.

No idea what you do with Gunther this year though.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, The King of Old School said:

I'd quite like to see Brock vs Nakamura.

It would be completely different today, of course, but they have wrestled before. It was pretty good, even if both men wrestle very differently today ;

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3gqnyi

During Brock's almost-forgotten run in New Japan.

I'm all for The Rock vs Reigns at Wrestlemania. Cody Rhodes can finish his story at another event, at another time. 

Raw was a good show, I've not seen Ivy Nile wrestle before but I was impressed and always impressed when I watch Rhea Ripley compete. Punk on the show next week, I'm going to get properly back into the shows now and enjoy the build up to the Royal Rumble and then the lead up to Wrestlemania. 

Obviously I am unable to crunch the numbers that matter to the TV companies but can anyone explain why Rock vs Reigns is bigger than Rock vs Reigns vs Cody at mania.

Surely Rock gets the publicity from a Mania appearance at a time when no one has cared about one of his films in two years. WWE can use the Rock however they see fit. Cody as the next top baby face benefits from overcoming the extra insurmountable odds of facing the Rock and Reigns at the same time.

And Reigns just gets to put his feet up for a bit.

The argument that the Rock is back for TV negotiations is wild. The TV companies will know he is gonna be gone by April, experienced TV execs aren't dazzled by the thought that the Rock may turn up twice over a 3 year TV contract. He's either come back for a one off or the Khan/Trips are continuing on their form  of cool returns with no real thought.