Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I love Cop Land. One of those films were every single person cast was someone you recognised or went on to be famous. Even the mob figure who only appears in a photo is Paulie Walnuts from the Sopranos. 

Edited by gmoney
Posted
28 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I love Cop Land. One of those films were every single person cast was some you recognised or went on to be famous. Even the mob figure who only appears in a photo is Paulie Walnuts from the Sopranos. 

It's one of the most impressive casts ever and the main players are all on top form. Really glad I gave it another watch and I suspect it'll be less than another twenty years before I do so again. 

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Jaat. Available on Netflix.

Bollywood actioner starring Sunny Deol. One of Bollywoods biggest names. It's a bit stupid but I've watched it twice! Lone Commando on a trekking holiday stumbles across an area that is suffering from corruption. He sets everything right.

I can also recommend Raksha Bandhan. A bit more difficult to find. Nice, but serious, family movie. Akshay Kumar stars.

Edited by BigJag
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I really enjoyed M3gan 2.0 Judgement Day, but then I also enjoyed HDD2U so…

Spoiler

It was still fun.

I did really like the first one being a horror film about a toy, neither of those features being in the sequel. It's now like a tongue in cheek Terminator 2/mission impossible film about Alita battle angel AI robots. It feels like it would have been a great M3gan 4 or something (M4GAN, M3G4N?) but they went straight there after the first one.

I did pop when M3gan started singing because it felt like the character from the first film. I liked that all the characters came back. I didn't like M3gan not being small anymore but apparently that was because the kid that played her had a growth spurt and I can't begrudge them using the same girl. 

The more I think about it the more I think putting M3gan back together to fight a heel robot is a great story for a follow up, just the tech was too advanced, the stakes were too high, the story was too convoluted, the tone was too wildy different and played too much for laughs and M3gan spoke too much and didn't spend enough time resembling what I liked about her from the first film. 

 

 

 

Edited by Bellenda Carlisle
  • Paid Members
Posted
21 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It was still fun.

I did really like the first one being a horror film about a toy, neither of those features being in the sequel. It's now like a tongue in cheek Terminator 2/mission impossible film about Alita battle angel AI robots. It feels like it would have been a great M3gan 4 or something (M4GAN, M3G4N?) but they went straight there after the first one.

I did pop when M3gan started singing because it felt like the character from the first film. I liked that all the characters came back. I didn't like M3gan not being small anymore but apparently that was because the kid that played her had a growth spurt and I can't begrudge them using the same girl. 

The more I think about it the more I think putting M3gan back together to fight a heel robot is a great story for a follow up, just the tech was too advanced, the stakes were too high, the story was too convoluted, the tone was too wildy different and played too much for laughs and M3gan spoke too much and didn't spend enough time resembling what I liked about her from the first film. 

 

 

 

A decent sum up there. And yes maybe they jumped the gun a bit but I admire taking a wild swing at it. There is already a spin off due next year called SOULM8TE which I assume will be more horror in practice.

  • Paid Members
Posted
On 7/1/2025 at 12:27 AM, Bellenda Carlisle said:

M3GAN 2.0 Judgment Day

I love M3gan, it's one of my favourite films of the last few years, I watched it again last night in advance of watching the sequel and it's still brilliant. 

M3gan 2 is one of those sequels that is just completely different in tone to the first one, like Happy death day which was a clever little slasher whereas happy death day 2 was a terrible Sci fi film with a completely different vibe. I would have enjoyed it more if I'd known that going in.

Genuine walk outs in the screening I was at accompanied with a very loud...

Spoiler

"I didn't come to see a bloody robot fighting film"

The Segal film title bit did tickle the right spot for me though.

 

Posted

Jurassic World Rebirth

Probably the most "well that was pointless" entry in the franchise but I definitely still enjoyed it.

Shove dinosaurs on the big screen and I'm generally quite easily pleased. Decent cast and no Chris Pratt so there's a win.

Definitely back to the scarier moments which made it pretty intense in places. I just don't think they'll ever be able to replicate the tense scenes of the original when they're so reliant on obvious CGI these days.

Fun summer blockbuster but you'll struggle to remember much of it after.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I'll never watch it but the trailer featuring loads of scenes of the actors cocking guns like it's an action movie shows that  none of these new films really get what made the original so good. The original film has so much heart and wonder and joy. Every one that has come along since has been weirdly mean spirited and action focused.

Posted
23 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I'll never watch it but the trailer featuring loads of scenes of the actors cocking guns like it's an action movie shows that  none of these new films really get what made the original so good. The original film has so much heart and wonder and joy. Every one that has come along since has been weirdly mean spirited and action focused.

Part of the wonder of the original is that we are seeing these dinosaurs like this onscreen for the first time too combined with a a bit of Spielberg magic sprinkled in. It was a massive deal at the time and that’s obviously lost. I never saw Avatar in 3d but it sounded like it was a similar situation with that albeit with a much shitter film at the core. Shitty cg dinosaurs are ten a penny now and the stories, which were never the selling point anyway are getting worse by the film.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Part of the wonder of the original is that we are seeing these dinosaurs like this onscreen for the first time too combined with a a bit of Spielberg magic sprinkled in. It was a massive deal at the time and that’s obviously lost.

There's definitely a bit of that. I mean I'm a sucker for the score and it'll always give me chills (same with the Superman theme even if some of the movies are shite), but there's obvious attempts every movie to re-create that 'wow' moment but it's not something you can replicate unless you've never seen any of the others.

  • Members
Posted

Nothing new, but after  watching Charade and Breakfast at Tiffany's I've come to the conclusion that there has never been a more beautiful person on screen than Audrey Hepburn.

The scene in the latter where she plays the guitar on her window sill is probably the best anyone has ever looked.

4hz.gif.54ef49621aa357b25a2cc4e97b2716ab.gif

Cracking films, had somehow never seen them. Wasn't ready for the Micky Rooney appearance, I'll be very honest.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Charade is a superb little comedy thriller, and Hepburn and Grant's chemistry is magic. Matthau and Coburn put in a good shift as well.

And yes - Audrey Hepburn is one of most stunning actresses ever. 

Posted

Speaking of Audrey Hepburn, I watched The Children's Hour for the first time recently and loved it. Pretty remarkable subject matter and viewpoint for a movie made in 1961 (and a play written in the 30s). Plus, Shirley MacLaine fresh off The Apartment.

  • Paid Members
Posted
On 7/3/2025 at 12:05 AM, DavidB6937 said:

Jurassic World Rebirth

Probably the most "well that was pointless" entry in the franchise but I definitely still enjoyed it.

I’ll disagree here and say I think it’s probably in the top 3 of the franchise for me.

Obviously nothing touches the first. But nothing has filled me with a sense of  dread and tension since the first as this did with the family at sea. Jurassic World was a good reboot by just being a homage to the first but not as well made. whilst I feel rebirth did keep the tension ramped up. Much better than the last 2 entries for me. I was pleasantly surprised because the trailers 

@LaGoosh Gotta say although I only saw the first trailer, and can’t remember it completely, I remember thinking it looked terrible, but it wasn’t what I thought the film was going to be.

  • Members
Posted

Gladiator II genuinely might be the worst film I've ever seen, just an irredeemable piece of shit and surely the most pointless film ever.

Everything is awful, and Mescal is beyond bad (I don't think it helps that I've developed an irrational dislike of him. Go away for a bit mate) and I'd watch a hundred Hallmark Christmas films over this. Horrific, what were they all thinking.

Just over a ton for the year, the best films I've watched for the first time have been I Saw The TV Glow, A Real Pain, Conclave or Welcome To The Dollhouse.

I hated Challengers a lot. What an irritating film. 

Full list for those that are arsed (yes I watch some of the same films every year)

Spoiler

1.) North By Northwest (10)
2.) Speed (10)
3.) Youth In Revolt* (8)
4.) Little Miss Sunshine (10)
5.) Dazed and Confused (10)
6.) Clerks (10)
7.) The Wedding Singer (8)
8.) Management* (6)
9.) Goon (8)
10.) In The Loop* (9)
11.) Crazy, Stupid, Love (7)
12.) The Death Of Stalin (9)
13.) Challengers* (4)
14.) We Live In Time* (8)
15.) Y2K* (6)
16.) Bowling For Columbine (10)
17.) Fahrenheit 9/11 (10)
18.) The Goonies (10)
19.) When Harry Met Sally (10)
20.) A Real Pain* (9)
21.) The 4:30 Movie* (6)
22.) Lost In Translation (10)
23.) Parachute* (8)
24.) Empire Records (8)
25.) Sleepless In Seattle (10)
26.) Silver Linings Playbook (8)
27.) Canadian Bacon* (5)
28.) The Devil Wears Prada (9)
29.) Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (10)
30.) The Substance* (9)
31.) Queer* (8)
32.) Rushmore (10)
33.) I Saw The TV Glow* (10)
34.) The Royal Tenenbaums (10)
35.) The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou (10)
36.) The Darjeeling Limited (8)
37.) Fantastic Mr. Fox (9)
38.) Moonrise Kingdom (10)
39.) The Grand Budapest Hotel (8)
40.) Blue Jean* (8)
41.) Starter for Ten (8)
42.) You've Got Mail (10)
43.) Isle of Dogs* (8)
44.) The French Dispatch (8)
45.) I Love You, Man (9)
46.) Reservoir Dogs (10)
47.) Liar Liar (8)
48.) Fighting With My Family (7)
49.) The Fugitive (10)
50.) Pulp Fiction (10)
51.) Wayne's World (10)
52.) Wayne's World 2 (8)
53.) Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (8)
54.) The 40 Year Old Virgin (6)
55.) Knocked Up (7)
56.) This Is 40 (6)
57.) Manhattan (10)
58.) Annie Hall (10)
59.) Goodfellas (10)
60.) The Breakfast Club (10)
61.) The Godfather (10)
62.) The Godfather Part II (10)
63.) The Godfather Part III (4)
64.) Twisters* (7)
65.) Conclave* (10)
66.) Saved (7)
67.) Welcome to the Dollhouse* (9)
68.) Clockwatchers* (8)
69.) Office Space (10)
70.) Goodbye Lenin! (9)
71.) Heat (10)
72.) Carlito's Way (8)
73.) As Good As It Gets (6)
74.) Good Will Hunting (9)
75.) A Complete Unknown* (9)
76.) Monsters Inc (10)
77.) Superbad (10)
78.) Falling Down (8)
79.) Bridget Jones's Diary (8)
80.) Bridget Jones: The Edge Of Reason (7)
81.) Bridget Jones's Baby (6)
82.) Jerry Maguire (9)
83.) Role Models (8)
84.) Babes* (7)
85.) Escape from Alcatraz* (8)
86.) Scum (10)
87.) Days Of the Bagnold Summer* (8)
88.) Delirious* (4)
89.) Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark (10)
90.) Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (10)
91.) Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (10)
92.) Midnight Cowboy* (10)
93.) The Truman Show (10)
94.) 28 Days Later* (8)
95.) White Men Can't Jump (10)
96.) Porco Rosso (10)
97.) Lady Bird (10)
98.) Charade* (9)
99.) Breakfast At Tiffany's* (10)
100.) Gladiator (10)
101.) Gladiator II* (1)
102.) Jurassic Park (10)
103.) Mean Girls (8)

I still can't get over that Gladiator film ffs.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...