VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, SaitoRyo said:

Not that I'm aware of, unfortunately. HD rips are out there, though...

I have a great 3 movie Blu-ray with it, Blind Fury and Silent Rage. Worth tracking down.

• Paid Members

True Lies

Mostly great. There are some things holding it back from being up there with Commando and Predator, including a pretty naff bad guy (10/10 death though) and a really insane half hour stretch of Arnie emotionally torturing his wife.

All in all though it’s everything you want from an Arnie blockbuster. Great laughs, solid action and a top supporting cast. The long run time went by in a breeze.

• Paid Members

We put our decorations up today so it's now officially Christmas film season.

Dashing Through The Snow

Ludacris tells a mall Santa where he lives as a kid and the ensuing burglary results in his parents divorce. Now an adult and with a kid in a broken marriage he accidentally bumps into the real Santa who won't stop following him around because Oscar from The Office is trying to steal his iPad. At one point Ludacris says "That is ludicrous".
Not bad but there's nothing to make me watch it again next year.

The Santa Clause

Surprisingly my first time seeing this. Tim Allen is a stereotypical deadbeat dad who accidentally kills Santa and unknowingly enters a contractual agreement with the lad from Numb3rs to become the new Santa. Judge Reinhold is a bastard to him so he kidnaps his own son and eventually finds his Christmas spirit so the kidnapping is ok. The SWAT team is called off when he gives Judge Reinhold a whistle shaped like a hot dog.
Not one of my favourites but enjoyed it enough. Got the diminishing returns of the sequels to go.

Edited by FelatioLips

• Paid Members

Not even remotely seasonal, I watched Asteroid City last night - my first time watching a Wes Anderson film somehow.

Thought the whole thing was really delightful. I'm probably missing a lot by not knowing Anderson's history as a director, but I still got a lot out of it's metanarrative approach. Recently been reading about the work of Bertolt Brecht so loved being able to tell my wife that it felt very Brechtian

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

Not even remotely seasonal, I watched Asteroid City last night - my first time watching a Wes Anderson film somehow.

Thought the whole thing was really delightful. I'm probably missing a lot by not knowing Anderson's history as a director

Nope, they're all like that.

But the great thing is if you really liked Asteroid City, you'll like all the rest of his stuff too. Like I do.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I actually thought Astroid City was pretty meh, but I loved The French Dispatch which seems to be a more controversial view. Generally though his films are great.

I'm the same, really enjoyed The French Dispatch compared to Asteroid City. You've got a lot of good stuff to get through @Jesse.