VHS and Betamax You Have Recently Rented

Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
On 1/31/2022 at 2:27 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

The Meg is great. Bait (the 2012 one) is also good fun. These two, Deep Blue Sea and Jaws 1 and 2 are the only good shark films.

"Jaws 4: The Revenge" isn't great, but it has a hilarious Michael Caine acting in it.

"The Time..It's Personal!!". Great tag-line.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Awards Moderator

Watched Lilies of the Field on iPlayer tonight. It’s the film Sidney Poitier won his Oscar for and I can see why. The film itself is a gentle, heartwarming sort of affair about a handyman helping out a group of nuns from East Germany, but Poitier is brilliant in it. Just exudes charisma in every scene.

In The Heat Of The Night is a better movie and is also on iPlayer, but if you want a more easygoing Poitier I’d recommend this too.

• Paid Members

The Souvenir: Part II (cinema)

(I also rewatched the first one today ahead of seeing this - even better on a rewatch.)

But this picks up where the first one left off, runs with the expected themes in far more intelligent and complex ways than most films or sequels would. It's absolutely not going to be for a lot of people this film (and the original, obvs) but I thought this was brilliant, deep storytelling and character work. What an amazing career Honor Swinton Byrne should end up having.

The Silencers (Great! Movies)

The first one of those Dean Martin Matt Helm films, which are just the same lazy Bond rip-offs that they were doing badly in Europe in the late 60s. It's absolutely terrible - not even slightly funny, practically no action, just utterly worthless.

Titanic 

If this had just been the second half, when it starts sinking, this would have been a cracking disaster film. But no. Cameron just had to tack an hour and a half of utter shite on the front. God.

Stay Tuned (ok.ru)

Peter Hyams was a weird choice to direct this weird family sci-fi comedy but as ever he produced the goods and it's a load of fun. Made about 6 years too late though, which is probably why it tanked.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Ghostbusters Afterlife (Amazon rental) 

Not as great as some are making it out to be imo and obviously not on the same level as the original but still a pretty fun 2 hours.

I agree, it’s not on the same level as the first.

it’s at a higher level. Ghostbusters is way over hyped and has not aged well. It’s not as funny as you remember, the story plods. The effects are still good though.

• Paid Members
Just now, DavidB6937 said:

I often think you're just on the wind up but this was a little too obvious. 

It’s an opinion. Just because it’s not the right one to you doesn’t mean it’s a wind up. I grew up with Ghostbusters but it’s a rose tinted glasses film that people are too precious about. Plenty of better 80’s films.

But you seem to have a weird fascination with me, so I think I’ll just put you on mute now.

• Paid Members

Jackass Forever

Please get as many mates together as possible and go see it. Absolutely hilarious from start to end and oddly touching in places, especially if Jackass has been part of your life growing up

Spoiler

A tucked in Chris Pontius wearing an open nightie whilst slowly dancing in the background of the pitch black rattlesnake room is pure cinema 

• Paid Members

The King's Man - Probably one of the worst movies I've ever sat through. Absolute guttershite, but it was marginally better than - and I really, truly should have heeded D-Mals' warning on this - The Requin. The state of the pair of them.

Jackass Forever was just glorious though. There was about 6 of my mates in there, and I genuinely felt like I was 20 and free again for a brief but wonderfully beautiful 90 minutes. Absolutely, 100%, easily the best incarnation of Jackass I've seen throughout my 20 odd year obsession with them and the CKY mob. 

Edited by Scott Malbranque