WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

14 minutes ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Been waiting years for Persona 4 Golden to be released on PS4 and still waiting so I’ve decided to finally give it a go on PC, looking forward to the next 50 hours or how ever long it’ll take to finish.

It’ll take you far longer than that to finish, for better or worse. You’re looking at 80-hours minimum. Too long for me these days, but when I was a student, I felt like it was time well spent. 

12 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Been waiting years for Persona 4 Golden to be released on PS4 and still waiting so I’ve decided to finally give it a go on PC, looking forward to the next 50 hours or how ever long it’ll take to finish.

Every day's great at your Junes!

13 hours ago, RedRooster said:

It’ll take you far longer than that to finish, for better or worse. You’re looking at 80-hours minimum. Too long for me these days, but when I was a student, I felt like it was time well spent. 

Persona 4 honestly has one of the worst opening segments I've seen in a JRP. Just goes on and on.

It's mostly great after the first dungeon but getting to that point always puts me off playing it again in recent years. 

I also seem to be in the minority that prefered the original version over Golden. Imo the new story content is crap.

4 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Persona 4 honestly has one of the worst opening segments I've seen in a JRP. Just goes on and on.

It's mostly great after the first dungeon but getting to that point always puts me off playing it again in recent years. 

I also seem to be in the minority that prefered the original version over Golden. Imo the new story content is crap.

I agree with all of this. I nearly gave up on Persona 4 early on for the reasons you lay out, and I’d been a big fan of Persona 3. 

There’s a lot to be said for streamlining a game, and Golden does the opposite of that. The additional content, for me, just served to prolong the game, when I personally didn’t feel like I had time for a prolonged experience. Like you, I didn’t think much of the quality, either.

That said, it’s still an excellent game. Like you, though, I feel like the original is the best way to experience it.

One thing I think Persona 5 did really well going forward was throwing the player straight into the action.

It's a 100+ hour game but other than a one or two points it didn't really drag for me. 

Also I think they did a much better job with the new story content with Royal. 

Fuck it, think I'll give it another go. 

Edited by The King Of Swing

Just now, The King Of Swing said:

One thing I think Persona 5 did really well going forward was throwing the player straight into the action.

It's a 100+ hour game but other than a one or two points it didn't really dragged for me. 

I didn’t get into Persona 5 at all. I’m not sure why, exactly. I didn’t think it was bad, but it felt like too big a time commitment. I’d probably have completed it had it been on Switch, so I could plough through dungeons while doing other things, but I found it hard to get invested in it on the PS4.

• Paid Members

Getting back to Valhalla after a few months off, found a wonderful bit in Essex:

Spoiler

A bard called Keith with hair sticking up on each side of his hair talking about a 'jilted generation' makes you fight a Bishop, then starts shouting 'Smack my Bishop!' over and over. Wonderful stuff. 

• Paid Members

I'm taking a break from the Batman: Arkham City rerelease/remake/remaster (and it's just as good as the first time that I played it) so I can finally get stuck into Hades whilst the £1 Xbox Game Pass offer is live.

I knew it would be up my street from all the reviews and praise, and I'm pleased to say that it's living up to every expectation. I doubt I'll put many hours into it due to fatherhood duties, but I'll definitely buy it outright as soon as it goes on sale. Excellent stuff.

Edited by Accident Prone

• Paid Members

Hades is a cracking game. I still need to get my favour up with a lot of the characters, and risk doing the harder playthroughs, but it has that "one more go" thing down perfectly. The developer/publisher seem intent on doing everything right as well in terms of no crunch and trying to ensure their staff are all happy. 

• Paid Members

Started another play through of Red Dead Redemption 2 after not touching the story element since I finished it almost 4 years ago. 

I'm taking a much slower approach and trying to focus on as many of the smaller bits and pieces before ploughing on with the main missions. Spent the last few days searching for perfect pelts in order to get the legend of the west satchel which I completely ignored on the first play through. Suffered more jump scares than I'd like to admit tracking cougars for the pelt. Absolutely terrifying. 

Such a fantastic game.