WHAT PLAY YOU!? Version 3.0

TildeGuy~!

I'm about 12 hours into Starfield - it's exactly what Mass Effect crossed with Fallout would be like, except with clunky menus and a ridiculously low encumbrance limit so you spend half your time trying to find terminals/vendors to sell stuff to. It's a solid 7 out of 10 so far. The writing's pretty decent, there's some good characters, and the gameplay's fun enough to want to keep going, but there's not really anything especially noteworthy about it.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Dr. Alan Grant said:

Started Starfield today. Plays exactly how I would expect so far. I am picking up every single object I see, just in case it proves vital 50 hours into the game. If you like Fallout and Skyrim, you’ll like this. If you hate those games, this probably won’t do much to make you a fan.

What about if you like Skyrim but don't like Fallout? 

5 minutes ago, gmoney said:

What about if you like Skyrim but don't like Fallout? 

So far, this feels a lot more like Fallout. I prefer the fantasy/medieval world of Skyrim and Oblivion than the post apocalyptic stuff. I would just suggest giving this a go anyway. It’s free on Gamepass from the 6th, so you’ve got nothing to lose.

• Paid Members

XBSX2 updates...

Hulk: Ultimate Destruction: Still the world's greatest blood pressure medication. Nowhere near enough games start off with letting you throw cows and hit tanks with other tanks! Just putting it on for the odd half an hour here and there and it's so well suited for that, a therapeutic blast. The cartoony art style scales up to 4K nicely (The Punisher looked surprisingly gorgeous too, though I couldn't get it to run okay at that point).

The Getaway: I'm not sure why I got really curious about trying this again, I don't remember liking it much at the time. I don't know if it was because the PS2 was struggling to run it or if it's because I'm running the game at twice the framerate but it no longer feels like you're doing everything in slow motion now, especially driving. It's still a mediocre game and little fun to play though, it's funny looking back that regenerating health actually caught on after seeming very alien in this. Very impressive technically for its time, it was cool to fuck around with it a bit in 2023 but I'd have to be very, very bored to come back to this.

Airblade: I remembered this as being a fun, futuristic Tony Hawk knock-off. Lol no, sluggish trash. It has a story and you kill people with your hoverboard?! My memory is shocking. Didn't last long.

Bond: Everything or Nothing: Completed it. The perfect Bond game. The cast, the tone, the story, the variety of levels, the gadgetry, the set-pieces, JAWS! It's all so spot on. It bums GoldenEye in the boobs. I definitely won't be letting 19 years pass before my next playthrough again!

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

The Getaway: I'm not sure why I got really curious about trying this again, I don't remember liking it much at the time. I don't know if it was because the PS2 was struggling to run it or if it's because I'm running the game at twice the framerate but it no longer feels like you're doing everything in slow motion now, especially driving. It's still a mediocre game and little fun to play though, it's funny looking back that regenerating health actually caught on after seeming very alien in this. Very impressive technically for its time, it was cool to fuck around with it a bit in 2023 but I'd have to be very, very bored to come back to this.

I really need to go back and replay this because I loved it at the time. The driving was awkward, so as an open world London it wasn't much fun, but the story and non driving story levels (which I remember being most) I thought were great. I loved the slower pace and more grounded style than the GTA offerings at the time.

Hated the second one though.

• Paid Members
On 8/30/2023 at 2:39 PM, FelatioLips said:

Aside from that I've been playing a lot of Texas Chainsaw Massacre with my wife and mates and that's a really fun game with a lot of unique and interesting ideas. The balance seems quite fair on both sides and there's plenty of customisation and skill trees to mess about with. Probably the best game of this type since Dead by Daylight.

I'm enjoying this so far, although I'm disappointed there's no single-player option - I'd like to get to grips with it a little more before getting into games with others. The single-player mode of Friday the 13th was really quite good - it's a real shame that game is basically dead.

But yeah, with that aside, I'm enjoying the game. I honestly don't know if it'll get more or less fun the more I get used to it, as the sense of getting lost so easily at the start is really quite compelling. It's much more balanced than Dead by Daylight so far, and I actually like that it's less cooperative - makes me feel less like I'm letting others down.

• Paid Members
On 9/4/2023 at 2:02 AM, CleetusVanDamme said:

Airblade: I remembered this as being a fun, futuristic Tony Hawk knock-off. Lol no, sluggish trash. It has a story and you kill people with your hoverboard?! My memory is shocking. Didn't last long.

I remember seeing a video of this in Gamestation when I was a kid and it genuinely looked like the future of gaming. Tony Hawks on a hoverboard? Sign me up.

I was so disappointed when I played it a few years later. I remember the sluggish controls making it ridiculously difficult too, I don't think I ever got past the third stage.

Been playing Starfield and while it hasn’t grabbed me like Skyrim did, it’s ok. I was thinking I’d only played it briefly but I’ve already clocked up 30 hours! The space travel bit isn’t much cop and I’m just fast travelling to wherever I need to go. Then again, I love Elite Dangerous. There’s something about the long, monotonous and repetitive nature of the travel that appeals to me for some reason. 

• Paid Members

I replayed Red Dead 2, still a great story. Once again I thought about completing the challenges and going 100% but though "fuck it".

Also finished Chrono Trigger for the first time a few months back, went through the black omen path and by the end game I'd gotten the rhythm down well enough (and was OP enough after all the side quests for special kit) to finish the main boss run quite easy. Went back on new game plus for some of the other endings but I've not got the free time now sadly.

Started borderlands 3 this morning, I've only ever played 1 before but it was great to see that nice style looking much crisper. Gameplay is much the same but that's no bad thing as long as the pacing is good, which might be my only minor issue with 1, and it feels like characters are more fleshed out.

After that I'll probably go back to replay Spidermon unless I see something fun going cheap online. I'm not dipping into the latest gen yet, normally wait for one game that I know will be worth the leap as I play so little now.

5 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Been playing Starfield and while it hasn’t grabbed me like Skyrim did, it’s ok. I was thinking I’d only played it briefly but I’ve already clocked up 30 hours! The space travel bit isn’t much cop and I’m just fast travelling to wherever I need to go. Then again, I love Elite Dangerous. There’s something about the long, monotonous and repetitive nature of the travel that appeals to me for some reason. 

Hmm.  It's the space travel bit I'm actually interested in, exploring solar systems and asteroid belts and the like.  Is that bit not worth it?

I'll need to buy a new console to play this, so I really want this game to be good!

@69MeDon - what's your impressions so far?

Edited by Loki

28 minutes ago, Loki said:

Hmm.  It's the space travel bit I'm actually interested in, exploring solar systems and asteroid belts and the like.  Is that bit not worth it?

Perhaps it is, I haven’t really done much in the way of exploring, just been “Choose mission - show on map - fast travel to mission start point”. I did enjoy mapping systems in Elite so I’ll give it a look and let you know.