Cornette's idiotic opinions

seph

He brought up Batista and Lesnar who had no time for him and I've only ever heard Cena and Orton mention Danny Davis and even then only in passing 

He must assume being abrasive makes money but it wears out when he slags absolutely everyone off, you've heard him slag one wrestler / promotion / anything off and you've heard it all

As I said when I said his invasion rebooking was shite, I like listening to him normally but I've binned it all off in the last few weeks as he just sounds like he's being controversial for the sake of it, funnily enough the same thing he hated about Russo's storylines

I love listening to cornette. His gimmick sometimes goes too far but I’m not going to get offended by a lunatic trying to create outrage for clicks. Some of his takes are shit but I can’t take them seriously. Even if it isn’t, it’s like listening to an actor play the part of a mentalist. Pregnancy take was definitely a miss though and a misjudgement of what his fan base will tolerate.

• Paid Members

I heard one on YouTube recently (think it's the one where he reviews the FCW "documentary") and Cornette talks a lot about OVW. It's the usual stuff you'll have heard on his old shoots if you watched them but he doesn't take credit for any of those guys - that's an absolute nonsense. He gives all the credit for training to Danny Davis and Tom Pritchard and mentions that he's just chip in with bits of advice. He's very proud of OVW's role in their development but no way does he credit himself anymore than he should.

Fuck you for making me defend, Cornette.

Listening to what Corny hates and loves about modern day wrestling is the most entertaining aspect of modern day wrestling for me. The Drive Thru and the Experience are fucking brilliant.

But although he delivered the Becky stuff light heartedly, it was a bit cringe and over the top. Not that he'll give one single fuck.

On 5/17/2020 at 10:46 PM, Mark_Doctor said:

I was cringing listening to this. I enjoy Jim but him and the lickspittle co-host have been unbearable since they started reviewing Dynamite. 

Yeah that Brian Last is getting too big for his boots in recent weeks and fallen into the trap of believing anyone listening cares what his opinion is. 

He's a great facilitator and Co-host, but the second he starts talking, especially criticising it's pure fucking cringe. 

The gimmick of the podcast is Cornette being a raging lunatic slaying the worst of wrestling and explaining why. Not this snot nosed prick.

Just now, IronSheik said:

Yeah that Brian Last is getting too big for his boots in recent weeks and fallen into the trap of believing anyone listening cares what his opinion is. 

Last has been like that for years.  Soon as his 6:05 podcast (is that thing still going?) started to get some traction the guy's head expanded to where he really started to think he was someone. 

I can understand why a guy like Cornette speaks so bitterly of a lot of the things he hates on, and why people who feel the same will be well up for listening since he's more-or-less perfected the art of The Epic Rant. Why's he on about this, though? How could anyone actually have a strong opinion on Becky Lynch getting preggers other than maybe some weird fan-fiction-type stalkers? Deep down, surely he can't give possibly give an iota of a shit. It just exposes what a rent-a-rant he's become.

Now that audio is his actual job, he's applying the same ranting tone to any every talking point that gets emailed to him, even when there's just no justification at all to even mildly raise your voice about it. Now you really only want to hear him talk about his real-life experiences in wrestling - the old days, plus him talking about guys like Aries & Callihan being weird twats who are impossible to work with - all much better audio than hearing him say "Kenny Olivier" for the nth time, and I can't stand Kenny.

A real shame this is absolutely the way he will be remembered.

• Paid Members

his stupid nicknames - "Kenny Olivier", "Jelly Janela", "Pockets" - have really exposed him as not being the genius wit that people paint him as when he doesn't have access to his big 1970s book of insults, because they're all sub-playground shit. They do serve a purpose though, in identifying anyone who uses them on Twitter as being a cretin without an original opinion in their head, so not worth engaging with.

I agree that Cornette has some worth as a wrestling historian - his collection is second to none, and as critical as I often am of him, I'll admit that I own some of his stuff; my wrestling shelves are opposite the desk I'm sat at right now, and I can see his Midnight Express book, and his Memphis merchandise book, both signed copies, and two shoot interview DVDs he features on. A lot of that value as a historian comes as much from a dearth of other people in that role as it does from Cornette himself, though - one thing I will always be critical of Cornette about is that he's practically incapable of looking outside of his own experience. He has an idea in his head of when wrestling got it "right", and when kayfabe was respected and everyone took it seriously - but it doesn't reflect reality; his golden age overlaps with an awful lot of gimmicky nonsense in Memphis that he overlooks/excuses, but also is just a very narrow field.

He talks about Memphis or Mid-South in the '80s as if it was a time when people believed it was more "real", but compare a match from any of his preferred territories to a match happening in the Japanese UWF at roughly the same time, or PWFG in the '90s, and tell me which one looks more "real". Much of his golden age in the US came after Martian Karadagian was wrestling mummies, aliens and the invisible man in Argentina. His opinions on why women attend wrestling shows don't reflect the huge fanbase that female Joshi managed to secure for decades in Japan. 

Pro-wrestling, since its inception, has been a negotiation of shoot and work, of sport and entertainment. That balances changes all the time, and is different from promotion to promotion, territory to territory, and country to country. Yet so many old-timers, not just Cornette, seem to think that the one time that wrestling managed to get that balance exactly right also just happens to miraculously coincide with their lived experience of the business. What luck! 

Dave Meltzer might be sometimes backwards, myopic, and utterly incapable of understanding subtext, but one thing he has over Cornette is an understanding of that historical context - a point he'll make exhaustively is that every criticism of modern wrestling being too fast-paced, gimmicky or unbelievable, was made about previous generations too; about Shawn Michaels, about Ric Flair, about Harley Race - I've read books from the 1930s that complain that modern wrestling is more concerned with showmanship than it was in the good old days. But Cornette and his ilk are like old men complaining about "kids today" - you can show them that every single generation has complained about the youth of today, but they're still utterly convinced that every time before them was an interaction, and it just so happens that today's kids are uniquely terrible. 

My one last criticism of Cornette in that regard is that the more he outs himself as a tired old bigot with his opinions on modern day wrestling, and social issues, the more that will come to reflect on his historical insight as well. Is he really a reliable narrator of wrestling's past, when his perception of its present is so often out of step? 

17 hours ago, Michael_3165 said:

He bought up Orton, Cena, Lesnar and Batista amongst others. That isn't a bad resume. I dont think you realise how utterly hated he was as aa manager. You could say the same thing about Heenan and Co. 

Can he really take credit for that, though? Both Cena and Orton were green as grass when they first came into WWE. Lesnar was an absolute beast, who in any case attributes Heyman for his success (not Cornette) and the Batista that eventually made it was virtually unrecognisable from him Leviathan days. 

I didn't feel Corny was vitriolic in his delivery of the Becky pregnancy stuff, he was more jovial and light hearted and just trying to pop Brian Last in parts. What he said was obviously fucking mental, but it wasn't as venomous as his rants on Russo or the comedy bullshit wrestlers.

I can't figure out how much of Corny is an act and how much is just him being a wrestling obsessed carny radge. 

Edited by IronSheik

9 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Who the fuck is Brian Last anyway? Are we supposed to know?

He's Hiwiian Brian the podcasting lion, the king of Arcadian Vanguard podcast network, "Mister" Co-Host to you and the proprietor of the French Toast Chateaux. 

A nobody basically. 

3 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

If Cornette’s the heel now, doesn’t that mean Kevin Dunn is the babyface? Bucky Beaver Motherfucker was the original Kenny Olivier, killing the business by moving it further away from Jimmy’s southern style.

After last night's 'Owen's dead, JR. You're back in 10... 9... 8...' I'm thinking this might be a total heel programme.