Cornette's idiotic opinions

seph

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, sj5522 said:

What makes me wonder about how much of Cornette is an act is that surely he realizes he's helping the careers and relevancy of all the new crop he loves to shit on all the time? Reactionary Anti-Cornetteism is a very real thing now. The more he shits on all these people, the more fans they seem to gain each week simply because nobody wants to be a fucking Cornette.

Joey Ryan has for 5+ years dined out on what would/should have been a forgotten comedy spot on a nowhere indie because Jim refused to forget. The Bucks made not listening to Cornette their entire gimmick and got huge from it. Jim crying about Omega & Ibushi wrestling blow-up dolls probably put DDT, Kenny and the modern Japanese scene on a lot of people's radars. Marko Stunt and Orange Cassidy are talking points seemingly each week and it feels like the vast majority of wrestling fans know them now, basically because of Corny. 

He's willed his dreaded AEW into existence and keeps people talking about it by having a whinge about what they're getting wrong every single week at this point. Part of him must surely know he is helping these people.

I think you've probably overstated the extent to which Cornette helped any of that lot get over. Cornette's reach doesn't really expand beyond people who are already deep in the bubble. And when it comes to stuff like Joey Ryan's comedy spots, or the blow-up doll matches, those were videos that were going viral, and that prompted Cornette to comment on them, not the other way around.

It's not Cornette making AEW, or Kenny Omega, or Joey Ryan relevant, it's him doubling down on the criticism of them to ensure that he stays relevant. He worked out that he gets more hits if he slags off something in wrestling today - because it makes a subset of wrestling fans feel smart by agreeing with him and rejecting whatever's popular - than if he tells stories about Jackie Fargo every week, so he's hitched his wagon to AEW, to Joey Ryan, and so on, because it generates money for him.

There's an element where it's a gimmick, because he knows if he plays it up he'll get more subscriptions to his podcast and sell more T-shirts, and there's been various allegations by the Bucks and so on that he's privately spoken to them about working an angle. But when there's a consistent pattern of behaviour and opinion for more than 20 years, the Occam's Razor explanation is that he's an opinionated, backwards cunt, not that he's working a long con to actually help the people he slags off every five minutes.

• Paid Members

You know it's a gimmick for the show because I remember after a Mania one year he absolutely destroyed it in his review on his own podcast on the Monday, then on the Wednesday when he was a guest on JR's podcast it was as though he'd watched an entirely different show. He wasn't glowing in his review, but he was a heck of a lot more analytical with his critique of it. I'll echo what's already been said about his historical knowledge. I used to really enjoy his deep dives, and the drive through is a great show when it's just people asking questions for anecdotes, but when he goes off on one about somebody, or makes poorly judged remarks then follows it up with a classic "sorry if you were offended" non-apology it gets hard to keep listening. 

18 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I used to really enjoy his deep dives, and the drive through is a great show when it's just people asking questions for anecdotes, but when he goes off on one about somebody, or makes poorly judged remarks

I am sure one of the most recent Drive-Thru's that was over two hours, had loads of (non-wrestling related rants) & not one single question from the listeners!

The best of Jim Cornette is very good, but the worst in awful.

• 2 weeks later...

Nah, Corny enjoys JR’s barely-concealed distaste for much of AEW’s content. It’s affirming for him, like a laugh track on an old sitcom. And it seems a safe bet that it’ll continue.

It’ll be one of the wrestlers he’s a fan of - I reckon there’s a good chance it’ll be the Revival, the more they work with the Young Bucks. At some point, Cody or MJF will do something with Orange Cassidy that upsets Cornette, but it’ll probably be a one off. Bucks vs FTR is a long term feud, so it’ll give new stuff for him to cry about every week.

He says he’s done with AEW after the last pay per view (especially the Stadium Stampede match). We’ll see how long that lasts, unless he handpicks matches like he used to do with NXT.

He nicely-but-not-so-nicely disagreed with Jericho’s assessment of him and those who agree with his view of things.  Brian Last out-and-out went in on Jericho. To the point Jim sounded like the reasonable one.

Brian Last said that Jericho's band was a joke and that the only reason Jericho was still wrestling was because he'd failed at everything else he's tried to do in the last few years. That was far more cutting than what Cornette has been saying about Jericho lately.

14 hours ago, LCJ said:

Brian Last said that Jericho's band was a joke and that the only reason Jericho was still wrestling was because he'd failed at everything else he's tried to do in the last few years. That was far more cutting than what Cornette has been saying about Jericho lately.

Is it untrue?? I don't Jericho watch. 

Fozzy have toured regularly, seem to get festival and support slots with decent sized names. The cruise seems to be doing well if it’s now on year 3. Podcast is long running and seems to get a decent amount of sponsors who from what other podcasts say pay well. Only think acting is his only real Bomb away from wrestling? 

I don’t think that Brian Last gets Jericho. He could have retired years ago but clearly a very creative person, he gets pretty much free reign in AEW I’d have thought, I really don’t think he’s there because he can’t do anything else. 

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

Is it untrue?? I don't Jericho watch. 

I don't particularly follow Fozzy but I know non-wrestling fans who listen to them, which is enough to give them credibility in my eyes. Judas is a good album as well.

I'd say it's a stupid statement anyway though, since it implies that Jericho NEEDS to do anything. He's not pouring over Fozzy's album sales going "Shit. I'm going to have to get back in the ring". He can afford to do whatever the fuck he likes.

21 minutes ago, unfitfinlay said:

I don't particularly follow Fozzy but I know non-wrestling fans who listen to them, which is enough to give them credibility in my eyes. Judas is a good album as well.

I'd say it's a stupid statement anyway though, since it implies that Jericho NEEDS to do anything. He's not pouring over Fozzy's album sales going "Shit. I'm going to have to get back in the ring". He can afford to do whatever the fuck he likes.

See I interpreted it as him saying Jericho NEEDS to do it from an ego perspective, not a financial one.
Last said Jericho was going through a mid-life crisis so I think he meant it as 'Jericho needs to still be 'relevant' and hand with the young kids' etc.

2 minutes ago, Louch said:

Who is Brian last anyway? Anything i have heard he’s just trashing whatever they discuss 

A wrestling podcaster with a day job. Although the way he talks he makes it sound like he’s the world’s highest authority on every subject.