Florida deems professional wrestling ‘essential’

SuperstarNeilC

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Weezenal said:

Am I right in thinking most other companies wouldn't pay dividends at a time like this, especially when they're getting rid of people? 

I wouldn't say most. Plenty of companies are showing incredible leadership at this time and plenty of others are behaving like the cunts they are.

Yeah, most companies aren’t behaving the way WWE are.

No other large wrestling company has stopped payments or fired anyone. WWE are the company who are least likely to go out of business and are still going to have record breaking profits.

They are also the only company still running shows.  

Edited by UK Kat Von D

15 hours ago, UK Kat Von D said:

What on Earth makes you think that? 

As I said, if we see some progress regarding the lockdown's effects on business within the next three months, I'm fairly certain WWE will look to pick some of these guys back up again. Not all of them, of course, but some. 

I've also said that I think putting certain talent on their three month downside guarantee no-compete period is more of a precaution than anything else. If the company were to wait another two or three months before pulling that trigger and for some reason nothing had changed they'd have to then look at doing so when the financial situation was worse after another two or three months of lost revenue.

It makes financial sense to set that three month period of payments in motion just now while the finances are relatively good, as they know that an uptick in the situation means they can offer to pick that talent back up, while no change, or god forbid a worsening of the situation means they will have already dealt with that three months of downside payments for a sizeable chunk of the talent and those numbers won't be hitting the further decimated profit margin down the line.

As I've also said numerous times, it's a real shitty thing to do, but from a business standpoint it makes perfect sense. Absorb the cost of those three month no-compete periods now rather than later, when it'll potentially look worse on the books.

Edited by David

3 minutes ago, David said:

I'm fairly certain WWE will look to pick some of these guys back up again. Not all of them, of course, but some. 

Yeah, some of the backstage guys will get picked up again. It is extremely unlikely that Rusev will want to go back any time soon. 

Just now, UK Kat Von D said:

Yeah, some of the backstage guys will get picked up again. It is extremely unlikely that Rusev will want to go back any time soon. 

And how would you know that? Until there's actual financial packages put to him there's no telling where he'll end up.

In a way, this could work out great for someone like him. If we see an uptick in business over the next few months, he could use AEW as leverage to get a better deal from WWE. If Vince sees AEW as any kind of competition he'll want to prevent Rusev signing there and could offer him an improved deal.

Wasn't there mention earlier in the thread of some talent that got better deals than they would have due to the threat that AEW would snap them up?

4 minutes ago, David said:

And how would you know that? Until there's actual financial packages put to him there's no telling where he'll end up.

In a way, this could work out great for someone like him. If we see an uptick in business over the next few months, he could use AEW as leverage to get a better deal from WWE. If Vince sees AEW as any kind of competition he'll want to prevent Rusev signing there and could offer him an improved deal.

Wasn't there mention earlier in the thread of some talent that got better deals than they would have due to the threat that AEW would snap them up?

It’s well known he has been unhappy with WWE for ages. If he resigns they will probably just book his wife into a different on screen relationship every week to fuck with him a bit more.

Im sure he will land on his feet, because he seems like a good guy, great talent and has name value. Still doesn’t make their decision to fire him during a pandemic any better. The only upside is that he will be spending his no compete in lockdown. 

Yeah, WWE has been stockpiling wrestlers and offering big contracts to keep wrestlers away from AEW. It has lead to a lot of wrestlers in WWE being unhappy when they can’t get a push or a spot on the card. 

Still doesn’t make their decision to fire him during a pandemic any better.

I never claimed it was a good thing to do from a moral standpoint though, did I? I've only ever laid out the business reasoning behind WWE handing these guys their notice. I've also went to great pains to point out that Vince is a prick. We all know what he's like. Business comes before all for him.

Yeah, WWE has been stockpiling wrestlers and offering big contracts to keep wrestlers away from AEW. It has lead to a lot of wrestlers in WWE being unhappy when they can’t get a push or a spot on the card.

Exactly, so it'll depend on what Rusev wants when the time to negotiate comes. It's far from a sure thing that he won't sign with WWE again though.

I’d be extremely surprised if WWE go back to hoarding within 90 days and If be even more surprised if Rusev is back within a year 

Time will tell I guess. That Vince seems to now have an active part to play in this economic advisory team Trump has put together will make things all the more interesting over the coming few weeks and months.

I wasn't talking about them going out of their way to re-sign all of the let-go talent, by the way. I think WWE will be pretty indifferent to AEW signing most of the guys they've cut loose with a few exceptions. I'm sure WWE will offer many of them contracts if we see a change in the economic circumstances in the US, but how many will they go above and beyond to keep out of the hands of AEW?

A couple at best. Rusev is probably the main player among that group, and he'll know that. Whatever happens, he'll come out of this doing pretty well for himself.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Weezenal said:

Am I right in thinking most other companies wouldn't pay dividends at a time like this, especially when they're getting rid of people? 

WWE pay the same 12 cent dividend every quarter regardless of how well the business has done. It's basically a gimmick to get people to buy the stock. Until the TV money started getting silly big, there'd be a lot of times when they'd pay out more in dividends than they'd made in profits, which is why their actual cash on hand has fallen so much over the years.

Anyone know the Lio Rush story? That's his 2nd release and he'd been brilliant every time I've seen him since he came back. About the only one that irked me if you remove the whole Corona situation. I'm fairly certain Angle will still be receiving paychecks for the rest of his life. Deonna Purazzo had issues and probably needed to re-assess things. Rowan was done. Heath Slater had earned way more money from this company than he ever should which you can apply to many others on the list. Drake Maverick may have been entertaining but he was never drawing any money or had any merch. I can understand it.

Shitty timing, but many should have been given their marching orders years ago. And there's many more.