Disney Plus

Weezenal

38 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Yeah, that happened around the time of that Finding Neverland documentary when the accusations were being brought up again.

Disney+ so far hasn’t edited anything out, they’ve got around things by having a disclaimer in the description about out dated stereotypes

0rmwoQ7.jpg

• Paid Members

Ironically one of the biggest complaints about Song Of The South when it came out was that it didn't have a content / disclaimer card at the beginning, mentioning the story was set after slavery and during reconstruction. Without it, it makes slave era plantations look like lovely places, filled with whimsical adventure.

Saying that, a disclaimer wouldn't save that film, it's offensive on so many levels and just not very good.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Song Of The South still isn't on there. 

The question was will stuff be edited.

Anyway it will never be on there. Disney banned the release of it in most countries around the time they had started work on an attraction based on the film which is only now being re-themed almost 30 years later. As to whether it should be or not is another thing. Whoopi Goldberg says they should, and I agree they should own their shit. But my memories were it was shit anyway. I feel most of the hype around it is based on the fact its been banned rather then if it has any significant value.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The question was will stuff be edited.

Anyway it will never be on there. Disney banned the release of it in most countries around the time they had started work on an attraction based on the film which is only now being re-themed almost 30 years later. As to whether it should be or not is another thing. Whoopi Goldberg says they should, and I agree they should own their shit. But my memories were it was shit anyway. I feel most of the hype around it is based on the fact its been banned rather then if it has any significant value.

They should absolutely own their shit.

Not including it is bordering on the Streisand effect for them and it's the first film to be bought up whenever Disney and censorship is mentioned.

They should have chucked it on with a proper documentary about what's wrong with it, the history behind the books and the cultural changes at the time of its release and remove the lore of it not being available. Then people can see it for what it is, mediocre and racially offensive

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, chokeout said:

They should absolutely own their shit.

Not including it is bordering on the Streisand effect for them and it's the first film to be bought up whenever Disney and censorship is mentioned.

They should have chucked it on with a proper documentary about what's wrong with it, the history behind the books and the cultural changes at the time of its release and remove the lore of it not being available. Then people can see it for what it is, mediocre and racially offensive

I am surprised they never got Leonard Maltin to do it. The weird thing is they like to sweep it away, yet they play the songs in the park still and they even re-released the soundtrack a couple of years ago again. It's utterly bizarre. 

The thing I wish they would put on there is The Sweatbox about the aborted film which would end up being The Emperor's New Groove. It was made by Trudy Styler as the film was supposed to have Sting recording the soundtrack then half way through production they scrapped the film and started again. It sometimes pops up on the internet but never been released.

• Paid Members

Disney's quite happy to borrow parts of Song of the South for its Disneyland rides so clearly they have no issue with its existence. What they have an issue with is a racist past that they clearly do not want to own or own up to. Because if they did, they would have to address the fact that their founder was a racist or, at best, a cultural imperialist. 

• Paid Members

I agree @Devon Malcolmand the fact that it is being turned into a Princess and the Frog attraction and has upset a load of racists is brilliant. The fact they even built it, when they decided at the same time they were going to ban it is hilarious to me>

The Sweatbox link is currently on youtube in a rough form for anyone interested. I am going to watch it later 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I agree @Devon Malcolmand the fact that it is being turned into a Princess and the Frog attraction and has upset a load of racists is brilliant. The fact they even built it, when they decided at the same time they were going to ban it is hilarious to me>

The Sweatbox link is currently on youtube in a rough form for anyone interested. I am going to watch it later 

I had no idea this was a thing. Thats my viewing for tonight!

• Paid Members
Just now, chokeout said:

I had no idea this was a thing. Thats my viewing for tonight!

I thought it was banned. Looks like it got week long LA run for Oscar consideration in 2002 and also was a bonus feature on a DVD (not found that confirmed yet). Waking Sleeping Beauty is another good behind the scenes doc as well covering the almost bankruptcy to Renaissance period.

Im a big fan of Emperors New Groove though.

50 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Disney's quite happy to borrow parts of Song of the South for its Disneyland rides so clearly they have no issue with its existence. What they have an issue with is a racist past that they clearly do not want to own or own up to. Because if they did, they would have to address the fact that their founder was a racist or, at best, a cultural imperialist. 

Exactly. They are controlling the narrative and can paint themselves as some form of racial pioneers instead of the massive shithouse wankers started by a nazi sympathising anti Semitic racist they are. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Exactly. They are controlling the narrative and can paint themselves as some form of racial pioneers instead of the massive shithouse wankers started by a nazi sympathising anti Semitic racist they are. 

He (allegedly) was. Walt Disney and The Walt Disney Company are two different things though. Or do you think all Miramax films have the taint of a sex predator because one of the original creators was one?