Cheltenham Festival 2020

Max Power

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

When you've a 1/4f, you're really best looking for value. Even at paying a fifth of the odds you're best going for something over 6s each way and hoping for the best as it'll be more profitable if it places, and on the stakes people like us bet a win on an 1/4 is negligible anyway. Value is what you should always look for. People would disagree, but I'm an E/W fucker so I'm always looking for value. A 16/1  E/W finishing in the frame will win you more than an evens favourite on the nose. And more importantly, favourites - especially at short prices - are there to be shot at. I've hit the bar on lucky 15s countless times, and more often than not it was a "Dead cert".

But that;'s just what I think. There's better lads in this thread than me who can tell you how they play the game.

Unless you're Woody, who goes E/W on a 2/7.

Insightful as always Butch, I definitely just learnt something there.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, thevestofdeanambrose said:

100% cash out haha I haven't got the minerals for that! The possibility of ending up with nothing far out weighs the alternative for me. 

I fella I know, I won't call him a mate as he's a fucking dickhead, won 50k a few years ago putting a tenner on three Serie A games with both teams to score in both halves. He was just waiting on one team to score and Paddy Power where literally phoning him at the pub with all kinds of offers. "We'll give you 20k now" and there was other stuff with it, flights, VIP days to racing, everything.

"FUCK OFF I NEVER CASH OUT"

I was fucking gutted Torino scored as I hate Kev Fisher and he's worth enough anyway.

• Paid Members

I am never organised enough to put together an acca like that. The only time I've ever backed anything ante post successfully it was singles at big prices. 

Having said that, if that was me I couldn't cash out. I am a gambler first and foremost. I'm pretty sure that if I got to the million pound question on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire and I didn't know the answer I'd guess because when would i ever have a 1 in 4 chance of winning a million quid again. 

I've had fun with this the last couple days, Ladbrokes have been giving out free bets for the first two days, £5 yesterday and £1 today. Done 7 fold each ways both days using Ruby Walsh's cheat sheet on Paddy, bagged £22 off the fiver freebie yesterday as 4 of his picks came second and was going good today, after a near miss with Birchdale scraping 6th (Laddies paying up to 6 on that race) but it fell at the penultimate race with Chosen Mate finishing 10th in the 4.15, though it could have gone on the last anyway with Ramillies finishing 8th. Got another £1 freebie for tomorrow so gonna try my hand again with Ruby's picks and see how I go

I reckon I'd have a go at a partial cash out on that one. 400k / 100k, something like that.

Today is proper big fields, I'm well up for this.

1.20 - Fav should win, unbeaten and made of titanium. Asterion Forlonge can't jump. Blackbow not good enough. Fusil Raffles too inconsistent. However, there are 8 runners so some each way thievery could be rife. Shan Blue a sound jumper, who will probably set it up for the fav, but should be placed. Darver Star a wild one at a big price - third in last year's Champion Hurdle and finally gets good ground after swimming in heavy all winter.

1.55 - One of the hardest races ot the week. Pick something that's an improving young horse or something that's been running on soft ground all winter that will improve for good. 

2.30 - This is the race of the Festival for me. About 10 genuine grade one horses. There's about 4 or 5 horses who will go forward - Allaho, Min, Melon, Calvados, Dashel, amongst others. This will probably set it up for a closer - Mister Fisher finished on the heels of 3 of these last year on unfavoured soft ground and I make him the bet of the day.

3.05 - Paisley Park a worthy favourite and he's a fabulous horse. But I think he's vulnerable here. The trouble is, I'm not sure what with. There's lots of slow horses in the race - although it's a very big fields. If The Cap Fits won the Stayers Hurdle at Aintree two years ago on good ground, and has been chasing round top class novice chasers this winter whilst looking uncomfortable jumping the big obstacles. Fury Road finished placed in the race won by Monkfish last year and might be value too.

3.40 - You need something up with the pace in this. There's a million runners and the track gets very narrow at times. Mister Whittaker ran well last year, and The Shunter is a worthy favourite - they had about 12 options and run here. Coole Cody and Laskalin will be my darts - both hopefully up with the race.

I don't care about the 4.15 and the last race looks a graveyard. Might have a bet in that if I've had a few winners.

---

1.20 - Darver Star 

1.55 - Mrs Milner and Everglow

2.30 - Mister Fisher 

3.05 - If The Cap Fits

3.40 - Coole Cody and Laskalin 

--

Time for a few each doubles and trebles....

6 minutes ago, waters44 said:

Can you translate that tweet into English for me please?! Does that mean he’s guaranteed £250k whatever happens?

Yeah thats the way I've read it, if Envoi wins he gets £322,000 if it doesnt then he gets £250,000. Seems quite generous from the bookies, but fair play to him.

EDIT - actually maybe not overly generous as I guess if Envoi won they would be down half a million and with Envoi being such a strong favourite they're probably trying to manage the damage

Edited by stewdogg
Edit