Acceptable behaviour at live shows

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
54 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

You've not lived then mate.
When I was full of teenage angst and self loathing one of the most fun things I could do was attend the wrestling shows and yell at the wrestlers. 
It was a great release.

I’m not sure going to a wrestling show for the sole intention of abusing performers to make you feel better, instead of going to be entertained, counts as “living”.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

But I'm not losing any sleep over not seeing babyfaces get the crowd to chant "faggot" any more,

I remember someone telling me, and I've always wanted to believe it was true so never sought to check it, that the short lived FWA revival (the Armband Era) started to have a printout of do's and don'ts on the wall. One of these was something like "no chants which are based on sexuality e.g. Gayboy". This was following a seemingly endless string of shows I'd been too where Johnny Storm always lead hoards of 8 year olds in a chorus of gay-boy at the heel. 

There's levels though really isn't there. I think wrestling like everything else is striving to be ever more inclusive and so it should be.

I don't think anyone is out there telling people not to boo or react negatively to heels in means that are relative to their character but for example if there's people shouting horrible things relating to their looks, weight, sexuality, personal life etc all of which is irrelevant to the character they're portraying being a heel then it's right that they shouldn't be subjected to that.

I feel that what you're saying verges awfully close to the "I can shout whatever I want at football because they play for a rival team but I wouldn't call someone that in the street" territory.

I've been at a show over a decade ago where Christopher Daniels called a fan a "fuckin poof" and another where Joey Ryan cut a promo about how "soccer is for women and fags". I don't see any argument as to why it isn't better now that those sort of things aren't being said or at least are being highlighted as unacceptable by wrestlers to fans and vice versa.

1 minute ago, Your Fight Site said:

I’m not sure going to a wrestling show for the sole intention of abusing performers to make you feel better, instead of going to be entertained, counts as “living”.

Fair enough - but that's what wrestling was always predicated on.
I went because I wanted to see my favourite wrestler kick the shit out of someone or I wanted that prick heel to get beaten up.
I'm sure Ricky Knight never took it personally when I called him a 'fat prick'. I sure didn't when he responded by telling me to 'Shut up' and calling me an 'ugly virgin' [which was true, but still...]. 
It was a part of the show. If anything, I loved that the wrestler acknowledged me. I went knowing I was going to likely say something to the heel wrestlers that I couldn't say to my Dad, my Boss etc  and they, from conversations I have subsequently had with some of them, went in expecting they would get that. It was their job. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I'm sure Ricky Knight never took it personally when I called him a 'fat prick'. I sure didn't when he responded by telling me to 'Shut up' and calling me an 'ugly virgin' [which was true, but still...]. 

Then the show started, am I right. 

7 minutes ago, Accident Prone said:

I hear the "Oh wrestling used to be somewhere you could let off steam after a hard week's work"  bollocks occasionally and I've never, ever bought it. It's a shit excuse for shit behaviour.

I haven't said this in a while but, hey, Accident Prone - go fuck yourself.

It's EXACTLY what wrestling was for some people - and those people are not/were not bad or shitty people. 

I'm half steamin and only read half the topic but here's my thoughts...

Paid fans can be paid fans and do what they want to a point. Cheer who u want, boo who u want. Have common sense and know you're surroundings. What I say to a comedian at a comedy night isn't akin to what I say at the theatre. Shouting and swearing at a wrestling event aimed for families or trying to hijack a show is unacceptable. 

And the same applies to wrestlers. Dives into the crowd are maybe welcome at ICW at the Garage, but not at my local show where the crowd is kids, mums and dad's who hate wrestling and grannies etc.

I definitely think wrestlers, at any level, should be capable of defusing a situation with fans before it starts but quite often these days it's the other way around and there's no telling who the mark is. 

Ideally fans should be able to enjoy a show, have a laugh and get sucked into the drama, without causing any great disorder and the "pro" wrestlers should do their performance without crossing an established line. 

7 minutes ago, LEGIT said:

What I say to a comedian at a comedy night isn't akin to what I say at the theatre.

Exactly - it's also not something you would necessarily say/do in your every day life away from the comedy club.
A comedian goes on stage knowing/expecting to be heckled and they have the 'power' to fire back. Same as wrestling.
It's an unwritten 'rule' when you go to a comedy club that these things will likely happen. Same with wrestling.
Can you imagine a comedian going 'Please don't heckle me as it will really hurt my feelings and effect my mental health'...? Hell, Jimmy Carr's heckle comebacks are more brutal than the heckles he receives! It's understood to be part of his show.

It's the club/orgy rule - you don't like the comedian? Don't go to the show. Don't expect Roy Chubby Brown to change his material because you are offended by it.

People who heckle comedians are also massive cunts. It's not an 'unwritten rule' at all. 

As you said, if you don't like the comedian, don't go to the show. Don't heckle them. They're just trying to do their job to people who have paid to see them do it and not you try to heckle them because you think you're funnier than them.

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I haven't said this in a while but, hey, Accident Prone - go fuck yourself.

It's EXACTLY what wrestling was for some people - and those people are not/were not bad or shitty people. 

Using "I've had a tough week at the 9-5" is no excuse for shouting homophobic/transphobic/racist language at a wrestling show. I'd be really worried what these people are doing to their spouses and children during times when there wasn't a local wrestling show on. I'd definitely call them shitty people.

There's a big difference between "Booooo! You big cheating, lump! Boooooo!" and throwing around slurs.

3 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

People who heckle comedians are also massive cunts. It's not an 'unwritten rule' at all. 

I can only go from experience - my stand-up comedian friends all expect it if they are working bars or comedy clubs and have their comebacks ready. If they are bombing or the crowd seem largely disinterested then blasting a heckler usually goes down fairly well, particularly with the hecklers friends. 

Yeah, hecklers can be total cunts, particularly if it's at the expense of other people's enjoyment but at the same time a comedian blasting a heckler for a few minutes, or even just with a sharp comeback, can actually help get the audience into the performance rather than detract from it.