Acceptable behaviour at live shows

Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

As much as I like the wrestling shows they put on, Progress Wrestling fans are the worst. An inicident happened on the event on Sunday where a wrestler was thrown into the audience with no warning. The "fanz" on their forums are mad because they are blaming snowflakes sitting in the first two rows of seats where they should expect wrestlers to act in such a way.

Remember, this is the company HHH said they work with because of how professional they are

http://www.twm.news/william-eaver-suspended-by-progress-wrestling/ 

• Paid Members

Some of it comes down to an ideological issue of what people think wrestling "should" be, but ultimately there's an ableist angle to it all - if I'm in the front row I can dart out of the way, but if I were in a wheelchair or crutches I couldn't. So it's probably just best avoided. Eaver has previous, though.

Facebook groups for wrestling promotions vary between insufferable and toxic, but the Progress one is especially horrendous. There were some comments on there saying it's because it's not "proper wrestling fans" and just hipsters coming to shows now. From fans of Progress. The byword for "wrestling hipsters".

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Some of it comes down to an ideological issue of what people think wrestling "should" be, but ultimately there's an ableist angle to it all - if I'm in the front row I can dart out of the way, but if I were in a wheelchair or crutches I couldn't. So it's probably just best avoided. Eaver has previous, though.

Facebook groups for wrestling promotions vary between insufferable and toxic, but the Progress one is especially horrendous. There were some comments on there saying it's because it's not "proper wrestling fans" and just hipsters coming to shows now. From fans of Progress. The byword for "wrestling hipsters".

Yep, Just been told if you have front row tickets, you are part of the show. The stupidity of people is not always lost, even on me

Ah, the old “proper fans” argument. Shouldn’t those “proper fans” have fucked off the second that WWE started sniffing about?

I can see both sides of the argument- if you sit front row at a wrestling show the style of Progress in a venue like the Electric Ballroom, which is fucking tiny even with these recent renovations, you’re inches away from the ring so there’s a chance that someone’s going to end up in your lap and you should be prepared for that, and chances are you’ll know that going in. But, at the same time, a wrestler should be doing something to give some sort of heads up

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Ah, the old “proper fans” argument. Shouldn’t those “proper fans” have fucked off the second that WWE started sniffing about?

I can see both sides of the argument- if you sit front row at a wrestling show the style of Progress in a venue like the Electric Ballroom, which is fucking tiny even with these recent renovations, you’re inches away from the ring so there’s a chance that someone’s going to end up in your lap and you should be prepared for that, and chances are you’ll know that going in. But, at the same time, a wrestler should be doing something to give some sort of heads up

I have been to 3 shows. I was at Unboxing/Chapter 100 at the Ballroom. In a 4 way, Cara Noir was put in a sit in front of us, Haskins shouted move, ran to the other end of the ring, ran back and cannonballed him. Obviously a few broken chairs, and we had all had time to move out safely.

THAT said, I still think spots like that are fucking stupid, especially in front of a few hundred people. Eaver (for those that don't know, is the love child of Bray Wyatt and Luke Harper from 2016, also smashed through a wall (obviously not a brick one, it is the Electric Ballroom after all). 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

While I agree, one of my favourite reactions in a wrestling match happened with an audience member in a wheelchair. They ended up fighting with one of them sitting in her lap. No warning, etc - she loved every moment of it. We walked out afterwards and passed her and she was giggling about it with a mate.

At the same time, you can't assume that'll be the case, or that you won't cause damage. Not saying it SHOULD have happened, but just that it did that time and worked out to be hugely fun.

Coming from a live event manager point of view, if someone employed by me did something like that unplanned I'd be fucking livid with them. With what I've seen of PROGRESS they normally have a bunch of local crew in white PROGRESS shirts knocking about, so if something like that was planned and they didn't want the wrestlers talking directly to the crowd, then surely you key them into it to move/protect crowd members before the thing happens.

If a crowd member ended up getting injured because of Eaver winging OJMO into the crowd (or in my case, someone doing an unplanned stage dive into the crowd) that could cause a lot of shit in terms of negative attention and either cost a shitload of money or cause your PLI premiums to shoot up. None of which you realistically want to happen.

I know I'm gonna cop shit for this but, fuck it... 

Wrestling has become incredibly sanitised and 'woke' over the past several years and it is massively to its detriment rather than its benefit.

I attended an 18+ show a few months ago, in a nightclub, where they were serving cheap alcohol and they had a disclaimer at the start about heckling wrestlers and the 'Don't say anything you wouldn't say to your Mum' spiel. I mean there's nothing that sets the mood at an 18+ show quite like being told to mind your P's and Q's.

A wrestling show used to be the place you would go to vent your every-day frustrations at the wrestlers. If you'd had a hard week at work or someone was pissing you off, you could go to a wrestling show and take it out on the wrestlers - and the wrestlers would give it back. It was understood it was part of the show and once you left it was back to the real world. It was a temporary release. It invited you to forget the reality of the outside world rather than inviting it into the arena. 

Nowadays we have heels like Bray Wyatt going 'Saying mean things to heels negatively effects their mental health' on Twitter. 

I attended a show about 10 years ago where the wrestlers were brawling in the crowd, one lobbed a chair and it hit an old lady in the head. Everyone was shocked but, being an old lady, she rubbed the back of her head and carried on cheering/heckling.

Wrestling isn't PC. Never has been. It's a low brow form of entertainment that caters to peoples most basic emotions as a means of making money. 

I'm honestly just waiting for the day the 'wrestling community' decides that MJF deserves to be cancelled/blackballed for something he says in character.
It's only a matter of time.

Yes, anyone should feel free to attend a wrestling show and no, nobody should expect to be physically hurt by a wrestler, but at the same time... I'm just saying if you go to an orgy and get offended by the sight of people fucking then maybe, rather than expecting the orgy to change to accommodate you, maybe don't go. You knew what it was before you went.

Anyway, rant over. I'm going to go back to yelling at clouds.....

I think MJF is a bad example because I really get the feeling that he's an arsewipe in real life he uses the vehicle of "being in character" to do and say shitty things and take snipes without the repercussions of doing so in real life.

10 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

I don’t think I’ve ever gone to a wrestling show to “let off steam”.

You've not lived then mate.
When I was full of teenage angst and self loathing one of the most fun things I could do was attend the wrestling shows and yell at the wrestlers. 
It was a great release.

28 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Rant 

It’s nothing to do with being PC or ‘woke’ or anything else of that ilk, it’s about not being a knobhead. Yeah, Wrestling is low brow, but that’s not some get out of jail card for someone to be a dick.

This 18+ show you went to, was it their first show? Or did they ever run again? Because maybe if the crowd act like idiots just because it’s “over 18s, WAAAAAY!”, they don’t get that venue again, or any other venue for that matter

Your MJF point, just because he’s a heel doesn’t give him free reign to say anything. Offence is a personal thing and banter between a heel and the crowd comes down to how thick-skinned someone is, but if he or anyone oversteps the mark, then people are right to call them out on it.

Just because it’s “low brow Wrestling” doesn’t mean anything goes

Edited by WyattSheepMask