Dave Meltzer - yay or nay?

Mark_Doctor

Dave Meltzer  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The problem w cornette is that he goes so far to the extreme.. I agree w 90% of what he says but its that inability to see past his prejudices that make him a caricature. Omega wrestled a 9 year old and that's fucking stupid. But he isn't NOW and he put on some blinders opposite Okada. He can't get past the 9 year old. 

I enjoy him from an entertainment perspective. He infuriates me w his bias toward people he likes but he has many points I can't argue w. Maybe that's because I crave the good ol days where there was no twatter. 

3 hours ago, RancidPunx said:

Didn’t someone work out how may words Dave Melzter has typed in his career publishing his news letter . I can’t recall the exact number but I remember being astounded .

It was Alvarez as part of a speech he was giving about Dave.  He gave a conservative figure of 65 million words at the time, which was a couple of years ago and he's still pumping out 30,000-40,000 words a week in the Newsletter. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Paid Members

Couldn't be arsed with books on my kindle last night so I started reading an old Observer. It was the Kerry Von Erich obit. I can't get over how badly written it is. The level of knowledge and detail is outstanding but it's all over the place. I'm not a Meltzer lover or hater, he is what he is, but I was surprised how poor it was.

Fascinating story though. Ended up watching Kerry vs. Ric Flair from Texas Stadium in the middle of the night. What an incredible event. The crowd is great and such a different demographic, you can here the girls screaming like it's a One Direction concert. The whole thing is a typical Von Erich cash-in on a tragedy but they're a fascinating family. Not for good reasons. It's incredible to think that such obviously disgusting actions that were so well known were ignored for so long. Still are, really.

Dave is a dreadful writer. Just horrific. I can’t believe the observers actually have been edited too. They’re such a mess. But it’s impossible to deny that the actual stories themselves are mostly tremendous. 

If he can stay away from wanking over his mates then there’s no one I’d rather listen to. His ability to pull facts and stories from the last 60 years at the click of his fingers is astounding really. 

26 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

Dave is a dreadful writer. Just horrific. I can’t believe the observers actually have been edited too. They’re such a mess. But it’s impossible to deny that the actual stories themselves are mostly tremendous. 

Who is editing them?  Is that what Sabato does?  I always kinda assumed, by how even basic typos are missed that as soon as Dave finishes an issue he sticks it straight up on the site or sends it off to the printers.  No checking, no proof reading and onto the next issue.  If someone is editing and checking then he needs to sack them because they're doing an awful job.

Since I long since stopped subscribing to the print issue I just copy and paste the online version into a Word document.  I've done proof reading in the past and between that and my OCD nature I always run it through the spell checker (which I'm amazed Dave clearly doesn't do).  Additionally you can guarantee that several times an issue I'll end up rewriting something so it makes sense.and I understand what Dave is trying to say.

The Kamala obituary last week was another example just like the Kerry Von Erich one Rick gave; a ton of great information but all over the shop.

Edited by Magnum Milano

27 minutes ago, Magnum Milano said:

Who is editing them?  

I’m not sure who but it was confirmed on the board a couple of months ago by one of the mods that writes the UFC reports in the newsletter that there is someone that goes over it afterwards to check for many of the things you’ve mentioned. So I guess not an editor in the sense of rewriting anything but more proof reading and correcting spelling, grammar and perhaps factual mistakes.

But if neither Dave, this person or the paperclip guy in Word are catching these things then there’s a problem over there .

• Paid Members

I thought Vinny off of the Observer site edited it, could be wrong. 

Funnily enough it was Musawa's obit however many years ago that was that made me realise what a terrible writer he could be. It was just jumping backwards and forwards in time, with no overarching link.  

26 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I thought Vinny off of the Observer site edited it, could be wrong. 

Funnily enough it was Musawa's obit however many years ago that was that made me realise what a terrible writer he could be. It was just jumping backwards and forwards in time, with no overarching link.  

Vinny used to yes but not anymore. He’s a professional sportswriter I think, which makes things even worse!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Yakashi said:

Vinny used to yes but not anymore. He’s a professional sportswriter I think, which makes things even worse!

I thought he edited Figure Four Weekly, or possibly just some sections of the Observer.

Considering how close to the line Dave finishes them these days I'd be very surprised if a proper edit is done. I subscribe to WON but only for the radio shows. I find Dave far more annoying than Bryan these days, and I've always had fun on the Bryan and Vinny shows

On 8/21/2020 at 7:07 PM, Magnum Milano said:

Who is editing them?  Is that what Sabato does?  I always kinda assumed, by how even basic typos are missed that as soon as Dave finishes an issue he sticks it straight up on the site or sends it off to the printers.  No checking, no proof reading and onto the next issue.  If someone is editing and checking then he needs to sack them because they're doing an awful job. 

Yeah, I can't believe it gets a second look, there's so many basic spelling, grammar and formatting mistakes. 

I got rid of my sub a couple of weeks ago. His coverage on Speaking Out was so, so poor, a really big let down. I kind of get why he reported it the way he did, because actually being dispassionate about it rather than trying to play both sides would see him burn a lot of his key bridges, but he comes out of it with far less credibility as a reporter.