Dave Meltzer - yay or nay?

Mark_Doctor

Dave Meltzer  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Let's talk about Daddy Dave.

Do you subscribe to the WON and defer absolutely to his superior wisdom?

Do you think he's a 'hack' ?

I dip in and out of subscribing and am somewhere in between. It's usually Alvarez, not Meltzer, that pushes me away for extended periods. He has to have the worst instincts of anybody covering wrestling.

I haven't been been a subscriber in over a year, I reckon.

I think Meltzer is a good sort on the whole and not malicious in his reporting, just clumsy. The flack he got for Saudi-gate was unfair.

WON does have the best wrestling forum on the internet, no offence.

I like his knowledge of wrestling history. He's the best for giving you the details of an ongoing or retrospective story. His tributes/ biographies of deceased wrestlers are always very informative. The observer is a good place to get all the info on the goings on in wrestling in the one place, which is handy. 

His opinion differs from mine especially over the current stuff but I can see past that. The observer I think has become less and less a place for spoilers on storylines and booking decisions, maybe there's less people leaking him info. So if you're there for spoilers you'll probably be disappointed.

I just use the Observer for news and info, so I enjoy it. If you're hung up about differs of opinion or lack of spoilers, you'll probs not like him. 

Edited by LEGIT

Despite having watched wrestling almost every day in like forever, and hearing his bloody name all the time, it's only really this year that I've actually started to listen to him on random youtube videos. For a minute or two. His writing, wherever it's done, may be in-depth and accurate, I've no idea. But I can't listen to him long before switching off.

If I'm listening to a correspondent or reporter in almost any other field, even if just on youtube or on a podcast etc, they know what they want to say, they've prepared it, they've got the main points in their head, and they get straight to it. Meltzer often goes 'So, here's the thing, and, y'know, well, right. So, the thing about it is - and here's the way I was told it... wait wait before we get to that, you know, and I don't know why...' Then he'll get a sentence of info out, maybe sigh before completing and then the other lad jumps in for a bit.

And almost anything they're saying, two of us could be sitting at a desk and speculating and getting just as close to reality as they probably are, in fact in some cases even more so because we don't have actual wrestlers possibly feeding us bullshit on purpose. I think I've read on here before he may have problems with speech or focusing and that's fine if that's the case. I wouldn't be very good presentation-wise either. He's just not for me. Twitter is another level which I won't even bother getting involved in when it comes to wrestling - I get angry enough on there following politics 😂

• 2 months later...

I'm going for that obsessive MeltzerSaidWhat twitter account, looks like the kind of thing he'd post.  Sad cunt can't stand Dave yet pours over every written word he writes, listens to every podcast he's on and pays for doing so just so he can play "gotcha" on Twitter.  Must have one seriously empty life.

Either him or Mark Rushford.  Definitely one or the other though.

Edited by Magnum Milano

• Paid Members

Despite how cringe, awkward and daft Dave has been the past few years, it doesn't top just how shite and sad that MeltzerSaidWhat account is. 

Everyone pulls up Meltzer for his BS these days, it's nothing new, and there are other accounts who do a better job at taking apart what he says whilst not coming off as a deranged loon.

The greatest project in history is the act of ongoing documentation. What we know about the transfer of England from its pagan days to the spread of Christianity was written by a monk who rarely left what is now Newcastle, in fealty to the Christian king of the day. The same goes for the scriveners of Ancient Rome. Their work is there for us and our job is to critically interpret it. History cannot be "right".

What I mean is this: Dave is frequently, egregiously, gloriously, spectacularly wrong. His prose style is bizarre and leads to some of the wildest sentences I have ever read. He is hard-headed about his opinions, he leans way too close to his sources, and his cultural opinions are stuck in a timewarp.

But: he puts the work out there. 50k words. More. Audio. Every week. Without fail. He's got kids. He had a wife until recently. Twitter (the one regrettable part of him). Other people's shows. For a man with little time he is very generous with his.

He also, more often than not, shows a fair amount of integrity even if it comes at the cost of wearing insults from the boo boys. In a day where the routine reaction to fucking up is doubling down, he backs off and apologises.

There are other good wrestling journalists such as John Pollock but for consistency and a reasonably straight dope in a timely fashion, Meltzer and his crew are a bankable force. I feel I can bask in Dave's wrongness because I know my own mind. If there's someone who does what Meltzer does and is also someone who agrees with me all the time, then please name them below and I'll check them out.

When he goes, and it won't be long, there is no one to fill his boots and you'll miss him dreadfully. At first you'll think "thank fuck, no more quarterly breakdowns". But gaps will open up in our collective history of wrestling. Given that no respectable outlet wants to cover wrestling on the level, wrestling journalists will go the way of Satin and Billi Bhatti: forelock-tugging salarymen masquerading as journalist-influencers.

In case you can't tell, I voted yay. I just really respect people who attempt to, however futile the gesture and wrong the methodology, cover the entirety of a subject for a length of time: people like Pevsner, Wainwright, Elizabeth David, Audubon.

7 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

I'm going for that obsessive MeltzerSaidWhat twitter account, looks like the kind of thing he'd post.  Sad cunt can't stand Dave yet pours over every written word he writes, listens to every podcast he's on and pays for doing so just so he can play "gotcha" on Twitter.  Must have one seriously empty life.

Either him or Mark Rushford.  Definitely one or the other though.

Read this really quickly and thought “why is Man Uniteds best striker being mentioned in the Meltzer thread?”