Dave Meltzer - yay or nay?

Mark_Doctor

Dave Meltzer  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
On 2/7/2020 at 7:39 PM, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Cornette on the other hand is a giant man child. For all this threats of "I'm going to jail for this motherfucker", I dont see many people less equiped for a stint in jail than Cornette. He's not Bill Watts. He tries desperately to be, but he's not a big ex football playing hard man racist nutcase. 

This is the thing for me - Jim Cornette playing hard man. Jim sodding Cornette. The bloke who got a manager's gig playing a spoiled, petulant mummy's boy because that's exactly what he was. In the old Jimmy Hart mold of "here's a guy that the fans will think that they have a chance at beating up". That guy, plus forty years, bum knees and sounding at risk of a stroke every time he sees some wrestling he doesn't like, is playing the hard man, and has the audacity to criticise wrestlers for not constantly getting in bar fights and putting themselves over as tough guys.

Edited by BomberPat

2 hours ago, BomberPat said:

This is the thing for me - Jim Cornette playing hard man. Jim sodding Cornette. The bloke who got a manager's gig playing a spoiled, petulant mummy's boy because that's exactly what it was. In the old Jimmy Hart mold of "here's a guy that the fans will think that they have a chance at beating up". That guy, plus forty years, bum knees and sounding at risk of a stroke every time he sees some wrestling he doesn't like, is playing the hard man, and has the audacity to criticise wrestlers for not constantly getting in bar fights and putting themselves over as tough guys.

Which is even more laughable if you remember the altercation he had with Santino Marella at a convention  a couple of years ago and how he behaved then when Santino confronted him!

6 hours ago, BomberPat said:

This is the thing for me - Jim Cornette playing hard man. Jim sodding Cornette. The bloke who got a manager's gig playing a spoiled, petulant mummy's boy because that's exactly what he was. In the old Jimmy Hart mold of "here's a guy that the fans will think that they have a chance at beating up". That guy, plus forty years, bum knees and sounding at risk of a stroke every time he sees some wrestling he doesn't like, is playing the hard man, and has the audacity to criticise wrestlers for not constantly getting in bar fights and putting themselves over as tough guys.

He hardly talks like he could kick the arse of hard cases though does he? Threatening bucky beaver teeth AND Russo hardly qualifies. 

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Michael_3165 said:

He hardly talks like he could kick the arse of hard cases though does he? Threatening bucky beaver teeth AND Russo hardly qualifies. 

Threatening to beat up anyone over differences of opinion in pro wrestling when you're pushing 60 is hardly a good look regardless of who it is. 

10 hours ago, AVM said:

Didn't he threaten to kill Brock Lesnar once?

No, or not that I remember. I'm going to paraphrase from memory as he's done that many shoot interviews I can't remember which one he talked about Brock in and it'd take forever to listen to them all just to find the one where he talks about Brock.

Basically it was while Brock was in OVW, and Cornette advised him not to get into fights with anyone. Not out of any fear that Brock would get his ass kicked, but because anyone in a fight with someone the size of Brock would be going for an equaliser straight away and he'd probably end up getting shot or stabbed.

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, Tamura said:

No, or not that I remember. I'm going to paraphrase from memory as he's done that many shoot interviews I can't remember which one he talked about Brock in and it'd take forever to listen to them all just to find the one where he talks about Brock.

Basically it was while Brock was in OVW, and Cornette advised him not to get into fights with anyone. Not out of any fear that Brock would get his ass kicked, but because anyone in a fight with someone the size of Brock would be going for an equaliser straight away and he'd probably end up getting shot or stabbed.

Nah. Cornette threatened to shoot him.

Lesnar did an angle with Cornette's wife, who asked him to protect her, which he didn't. She shouted at him, he called her a bitch and Cornette said "I won't fight you. I'll shoot you".

The most insane thing I've read about Cornette is that he (apparently) hired a hitman to "take care" of Vince Russo, joyfully told Kenny Bolin about it, and then went nuts when Bolin warned Russo. I mean, I'm not a fan of Russo's booking either but fucking hell....

12 hours ago, unfitfinlay said:

Nah. Cornette threatened to shoot him.

Lesnar did an angle with Cornette's wife, who asked him to protect her, which he didn't. She shouted at him, he called her a bitch and Cornette said "I won't fight you. I'll shoot you".

Ah yes, so he did. I remembered his reasoning for it, just forgot the rant itself. Considering the number of people Cornette rants about, it's easily done.

• Paid Members

I read up on the Cornette/Brock thing this morning, and wow, but Lesnar was an arsehole.

Basically, Cornette's wife was Synn (managed Batista and others) in OVW. She's into piercings and had just had some new genital piercings.She was due to take a press-slam from Lesnar, which obviously involves him holding her by the crotch. She asked him to be careful doing it because new piercings - so, y'know, lift but don't grab. He spent the day repeatedly saying he was going to grab harder than usual so it'd hurt, supposedly as a wind-up. Then, in the match, he actually did it, and it seemed to be intentional.

She got angry backstage as it was really painful, and Lesnar responded with 'fuck you'. Cornette got involved and basically did his thing. It seems like he was making the point more that "If someone like me has to fight someone like you, I'm not going to fight you - nobody will. You'll expect a fight when you piss someone off, and that won't happen. I'll just shoot you. And if you keep doing shit like this, someone will do that."

The main anger, along with his dickhead behaviour to her, was that 'if you spend all day telling someone you're doing to do a shitty thing, then you do the exact shitty thing, how can you expect them to believe it's an accident?".

Edited by Chris B