Dave Meltzer - yay or nay?

Mark_Doctor

Dave Meltzer  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Meltzer can write what he likes. No one is forced to buy it or read it. If it wasn't posted on here, I wouldn't see it at all. And it costs me nothing.

Cornette is an idiot. For a guy whose opinion can be incredibly useful, he's unbelievably childish and unable to argue anything without swearing and name calling.

Not a fan of either and that shows why.

Corny is toxic. More edgelord than an ECW fancam from summer 96. I'd rather be stuck in the car with Russo. He'd be just the daft, mental kid in school who always made up the most extravagant lies the morning after a PPV ("Ken Shamrock came back and jumped off the titantron") but you can still get along with. I can't listen to Russo for too long without succumbing to the fact that despite the irrational weighing up of his own creative abilities, he actually seems like a decent enough fellow. Jim's level of rage for a guys his age is depressing, even if a lot of it's a gimmick. And I don't think it is. 

I love it. Two blokes who must be pensioners, mates for decades, and invented/popularised the wrestling asterisks system (which is based on Facts, not opinion like other critics star ratings). And they’ve fallen out because one of them has got a crush on a wrestler who the other one irrationally hates. I’d not seen Jim Cornette’s Twitter before this, it’s amazing how childish he actually is.

I follow Dave on twitter because, for all his faults of which there are many, he is a great historian.

But the last couple of days has seen him arguing with complete randomers about what constitutes a record gate, moving the goalposts allowing for someone to  make a good point but ultimately Dave ends up being the one whose right. 

I did kind of tune out once Cornette (who I don’t follow) got involved because an argument between them, neither of whom can take a hint of criticism, was never going to end well

• Paid Members

Cornette used to say that if he could be proved wrong, he'd admit it, but that seems a million years ago now. 

For years he said that wrestlers he didn't like would never make it big, or never draw money - Kevin Owens, the Young Bucks, Kenny Omega, Joey Ryan, whoever else. But when they start making big money, and drawing good crowds? He shifts his point to just "it's not proper wrestling". He's moved to a position where he can't be proved wrong, because his argument is no longer based on anything verifiable like ticket sales or money drawn, but on a nebulous idea of what wrestling "is". 

Meltzer, meanwhile, is admittedly biased, but his greater fault in all this is just being naive and earnest in the extreme, so getting involved in "debates" with people not arguing in good faith, or making clearly incorrect and uninformed points that no real journalist/critic would lower themselves to engaging with. 

Cornette fell out with his life long best friend of forty plus years, I don't know why people are shocked or it's drawing traction that he would fall out with Meltzer.  The only surprise is that it really hasn't happened sooner.

As much as I'm pro-Dave his Twitter really is terrible and I stopped following him on that platform a couple of months back.  I stick to reading the Observer and listening to the audio when I have the time.  In fact deleting anything wrestling related from my Twitter has made that a far more calm and enjoyable medium.

Oh, and people who go on about his OTT praise of AEW and all that like clearly aren't readers/listeners and just go off what scraps people post on Twitter.  He's very critical of the company, but that doesn't fit the narrative and the "Dave is on the AEW payroll" line that the numpties like to roll out.

2 hours ago, Magnum Milano said:

Oh, and people who go on about his OTT praise of AEW and all that like clearly aren't readers/listeners and just go off what scraps people post on Twitter.  He's very critical of the company, but that doesn't fit the narrative and the "Dave is on the AEW payroll" line that the numpties like to roll out.

? He did an unironic paraphrasing of the “You have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty” rant about Kenny Omega matches the other day. I don’t think anyone really thinks he’s on the AEW payroll, so much as he’s an old man with ASD who is being taken advantage of by some wrestlers.