Where's Rodney?

Gus Mears

• Moderators

I remember enjoying 2.4 children at the time, and it's certainly not one of the ones that had no cultural impact at all. In fact it was referenced in a conversation at work just last week (we needed to estimate something based on the average number of children per family, which incidentally is 1.7 for our customer base). Although we only referenced the title and I couldn't name a character from it or quote a line.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

I watched both, and enjoyed them at the time. But can't remember a thing about them other then the family name was Porter. Britas had a few characters I remember, but I dont remember much else except the awful finale where the whole show was him imagining it on a train to the interview and all the characters were just passengers on the same carriage.If I remember correctly

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Babes in the Woods with Sam Janus wasn't it? I think I turned off before the first advert break

No, that was Denise van Outen.

Just looked up Davina’s and it was a sitcom with Ed Byrne called Sams Game. And that’s all it’s wikipedia says about it. 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Someone on here said when they were young they used to fancy both Brittas' wife and the neurotic secretary with the baby in the draw

Brittas' wife was very attractive though, in fairness.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Someone on here said when they were young they used to fancy both Brittas' wife and the neurotic secretary with the baby in the draw, it was the bleakest thing I've read on the UKFF and that's saying something.

I remember the fitness instructor being pretty.. well... fit 

9 hours ago, Astro Hollywood said:

All that sticks in my mind is how detested it was by critics and viewers, never winning either over, and how it was the punchline about shit trad sitcoms for its entire run, like Mrs Brown's Boys is now. Robert Lindsay was always kicking off about it in interviews "the trendy media lot might not think it's 'cool,' but the viewing figures don't lie," and all that.

Seem to recall it had at least one character in the first couple of seasons, played by Kris Marshall. Generic well-meaning idiot son he may have been, but when even he jumps off the ship, you've got to start questioning what's actually going on. That said, I'd still hold it above Mrs Brown's Boys.

Since the thread title is about Rodney, probably worth mentioning Nicholas Lyndhurst's 'After You've Gone' which apparently had 25 episodes. Amusingly, its Wikipedia reads like that Norfolk Lives summary of 'Knowing Me Knowing You' where it blames the show's low ratings on clashing with News at Ten at its peak:

Often compared to My Family, After You've Gone is a light comedy which pulled in good viewing figures despite often being broadcast at the same time as Coronation Street. It was often broadcast on Friday evenings on BBC One and followed by the heavier comedy of Have I Got News for You.

Someone often seems to use a certain word quite often.

Recently had the displeasure of watching a few clips of Baddiel's Syndrome and that's got to be up there with worst UK sitcoms. 

David Baddiel playing David Baddiel, an architect who goes to therapy for his myriad neurocies, such as thinking he might have a gay son. 

Also starring Stephen Fry, the Guardian's Peter Bradshaw (also co-writer) and Baddiel's wife. Looks like they're on YouTube, if you're a gluton for punishment. 

• Moderators

If anyone's not clicked on the actual Twitter thread, the next clip is perhaps even better/worse.

Incredibly, as mentioned in the replies, Sky (and Baddiel) trumpeted this as the next Seinfeld. Reader, it did not get renewed after the first series. So much stuff from that mid-late 90s/edging-into-the-2000s period ages horribly, because it relies so much on the lad culture of the time. I loved Fantasy Football League back in the day, but I dread to think how it plays now, with all the "he's got a pineapple on his head" stuff.

Edited by Astro Hollywood