Wee Jock Poo Pong McPlop football thread

Devon Malcolm

11 hours ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

Going to be interesting because he's not going to have any money to spend come January you would imagine, given the absolute state of Rangers' accounts. Meanwhile, we're beginning to come into our own and, with the exception of the 0-0 against Livingston, we've pushed on full steam ahead on all fronts in recent weeks. Van Bronkhorst did well at Feyenoord but not so well in China, finishing 11th with Guangzhou, so it remains to be seen how he'll get on. I'm not too worried - I've been loving Ange Postecoglou's football and I think we are only going to push on and gather more momentum, with the potential of new recruits from the J League being added in January. They're badly needed too as if a couple of players pick up injuries we are badly left short, as was already seen with Kyogo (God, how I love that wee man). 

I think Rangers will sell at least one in January. Players that have a year left at the end of the season could be off now provided someone comes in for them. Some will go to player buying. 

I'm also not sure we will strengthen in January, I can't remember the last time Celtic came out of a January window stronger. I think it mainly depends on whether Barkas, Boli and Ajeti can all go even if a loan to buy. 

12 hours ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

Going to be interesting because he's not going to have any money to spend come January you would imagine, given the absolute state of Rangers' accounts.

What's also going to be interesting is how Celtic and Ange get on over the coming months. It seems we've went from Celtic fans just happy to be seeing some form of progress from their team, accepting a rebuild is in the works and pretty much accepting that Rangers are the top dogs for now, to Gerrard leaving and all of a sudden Rangers are, for the 4938th time, on the brink of financial collapse while Celtic will surely power past them. It's a story I've heard many times before.

Personally, I think Van Bronckhorst is a step up from Gerrard. I was chortling away like everyone else when the media were reporting candidates like McInnes and Davidson, but Gio is no joke. Unlike Stevie G he's actually won a few things before arriving. I know Celtic fans are pointing to his time in China, but first of all, it's China. It may be football, but not as we know it really. The government decide how much investment is allowed in clubs and so forth.

Also, Van Bronckhorst rocked up to start his job literally 26 days before the WHO declared Covid 19 a global pandemic. I'm not sure there could have been a case of worst timing ever.

So yeah, the narrative has changed. Now Rangers are the underdogs in disarray, while free-flowing Celtic are surely going to just romp the league with lots of Japanese recruits in January. 

Only problem is, when Rangers are underdogs they tend to play better. While this Celtic team is still very shaky despite recent results. It's going to be very interesting, but I think Van Bronckhorst could surprise a few of the Celtic fans who are writing him and Rangers off already.

• 5 months later...
  • Paid Members

I'd like to take a moment to express how delighted I am with how the season went, the outcome of that match just finished there and, especially, the fact that it was Aaron Ramsey - the big glamour signing- who missed the penalty. They paid £300,000 a week or something daft to a man perennially injured who barely played. And he just cost them the Europa League. Absolutely glorious. Is there a German word for "enjoying the misfortune of others"? I'm feeling that a lot right now...

Rangers losing a European cup on PENALTIES, Aaron Ramsey being the one to miss the decisive penalty, Ange Postecoglou creating a revolution and against all odds winning the title after last season's shambles.....all so, so, so, satisfying. 

Now, we need them to lose against Hearts on Saturday. Imagine it.....after all their crowing, they win nothing. I'm over the moon this evening!

Celtic fans are the absolute worst. How you can say winning the league was ‘against all odds’ is laughable. It was a travesty that you didn’t win it last year, almost to a man you have much better players than Rangers so don’t come out with that!

• Devon Malcolm changed the title to Wee Jock Poo Pong McPlop football thread
  • Paid Members
17 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Surely the odds on winning the league every year for Rangers and Celtic are just 50/50. They should toss a coin to see who it goes to that year.

I was curious so checked wiki, last time it was anyone else was apparently 1984/5. 

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

The Rangers won it last season.

I'm not sure if that's a joke that's lost on me or a misunderstanding between "someone other than Celtic" and "someone other than Celtic or Rangers". 

During the Ronny Deila years at Celtic, Aberdeen came close, but ultimately, it wasn't to be. Hearts also had a very good run when Vladimir Romanov bought over the club, before he started intervening, and sacking managers right, left and centre (...and before he led them to bankruptcy) 

I'm not a Rangers fan, but it was a disappointing result. It would have been great for Scottish football, and it would also have been fascinating to see how they'd fare in the Super Cup. I suspect Rangers will need something of a rebuild next season - I can't imagine all of these players will stick around. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

I'm not sure if that's a joke that's lost on me or a misunderstanding between "someone other than Celtic" and "someone other than Celtic or Rangers". 

It's an ongoing anti-Rangers joke that only unsaveable football nerds like me understand. Background is here:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administration_and_liquidation_of_The_Rangers_Football_Club_plc