Wee Jock Poo Pong McPlop football thread

Devon Malcolm

2 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Why isn't this called the Scotch Football Thread?

Iā€™m surprised itā€™s now the ā€œWee Jockā€ thread. He didnā€™t know his stuff at all. But Big Jock? Big Jock Knew.Ā 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, stewdogg said:

Celtic fans are the absolute worst. How you can say winning the league was ā€˜against all oddsā€™ is laughable. It was a travesty that you didnā€™t win it last year, almost to a man you have much better players than Rangers so donā€™t come out with that!

Last season we pissed away the 10-in-a-Row we'd been shouting about for years in the meekest and most embarrassing fashion imaginable. We finished 25 points behind Rangers. We had no manager and were led a merry dance by Eddie Howe. We lost our captain, a club institution in Scott Brown. We had an exodus of players. We lost the Chief Executive and then his replacement only lasted a month or two. We got in a manager from the other side of the world who was unknown by pretty much everybody in Scottish football. That manager didn't bring any of his own staff and barely had time for a pre-season. We lost 3 of the first 6 games of the season.Ā 

In the background of all that, I would say it was indeed against all odds that Celtic went on to win the title. Nobody thought we had a chance, not even the most diehard of Celtic fans. Rangers had a strong, settled squad, full of order. Celtic were the very picture of a club in chaos. The job that Ange Postecoglou has done, there aren't enough positive adjectives in the world to give it justice.Ā 

37 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Iā€™m surprised itā€™s now the ā€œWee Jockā€ thread. He didnā€™t know his stuff at all. But Big Jock? Big Jock Knew.Ā 

I came up with an angle* for the WWE Cardiff show involving Drew McIntyre becoming "Big Jock" Drew McIntyre, Just lean into the flag shagging, Queen loving, Rangers supporting stereotypes. This later involved Finn Balor becoming Sinn 'Fein' Balor. I cant go into further details here as WWE higher ups could be reading and steal my definitely brilliant and logical idea.Ā 

*I was not well and had a very high fever at the time

Ā 

12 hours ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

Last season we pissed away the 10-in-a-Row we'd been shouting about for years in the meekest and most embarrassing fashion imaginable. We finished 25 points behind Rangers. We had no manager and were led a merry dance by Eddie Howe. We lost our captain, a club institution in Scott Brown. We had an exodus of players. We lost the Chief Executive and then his replacement only lasted a month or two. We got in a manager from the other side of the world who was unknown by pretty much everybody in Scottish football. That manager didn't bring any of his own staff and barely had time for a pre-season. We lost 3 of the first 6 games of the season.Ā 

In the background of all that, I would say it was indeed against all odds that Celtic went on to win the title. Nobody thought we had a chance, not even the most diehard of Celtic fans. Rangers had a strong, settled squad, full of order. Celtic were the very picture of a club in chaos. The job that Ange Postecoglou has done, there aren't enough positive adjectives in the world to give it justice.Ā 

Adding to the above Celtic had;

Arguably 4 of their best players leave - Edouard, Christie, Ajer (all sold) and Elyounoussi (loan finished).

Main CB Christopher Jullien still out injured until end of Feb/early March.

The majority of the football world and particularly Rangers fans mocking them when they signed 3 unknown Japanese players in January whilst Rangers signed 400k a week Aaron Ramsey & Ā£40m man Amad Diallo on loan.

Had Riley McGree one of the top January targets make an 11th hour u-turn to sign for Middlesbrough instead.

Ange Postecoglou was being touted as being sacked by Christmas by just about everyone.

Callum McGregor suffering a bad facial injury and having to play in a face mask since January.

Bare in mind as well that the aforementioned coaches already in place at the club when AP arrived - John Kennedy and Gavin Strachan had been absolutely crucified by the whole of scottish football and the media as being clueless after the previous season.

The Celtic side of the quadruple treble years is unrecognisable to the one now. Of the key contributors to those years the only players who had substantial roles this season were Rogic and McGregor.

Anyone who doesn't think AP has done an absolutely sensational job at Celtic this season winning a domestic double, going the last 31 league games unbeaten, lowest goals conceded in the league, most goals scored in the league and overturning an at one stage 7 point gap behind Rangers in the league against a Rangers side who were unbeaten in the league last season and made the Europa League final this season is either deluded or in denial.

They were unlucky in the Europa League as well narrowly failing to get out of a tough group despite getting more points than Rangers did.

As far as I'm aware AP has also won every manager of the year award in the country.

Edited by Jonny Vegas

23 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

I don't follow football, but a mate tells me the Scottish top flight wouldn't trouble the top 2 divisions over the boarder. Is that fair or is he winding me up?

Dundee who came bottom would struggle in league 2 to be honest. I'd say the teams 4th to 12th have been the weakest in years. Celtic and Rangers however I think are better than the Championship teams, and I'm confident that they would both do over quite a few Premier league teams. I remember a few years ago Burnley drew Aberdeen in the Europa league and that ended up going to extra time. Obviously Celtic and Rangers would both get thrashed off Man City or Liverpool but lots of teams do.Ā 

Edited by westlondonmist

27 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

I don't follow football, but a mate tells me the Scottish top flight wouldn't trouble the top 2 divisions over the boarder. Is that fair or is he winding me up?

Celtic and Rangers would be championship level. Their fans always say how if they were in the English system theyā€™d get more money, attract better players and be competitive. But the same could be said of any team in the top flight with the added bonus of not having to live in Glasgow but they arenā€™t troubling for honours.Ā 
Ā 

But as it currently stands Iā€™d say the majority of teams in the top two divisions wouldnā€™t have a problem against the Bigot Brothers.Ā 

1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

Nah he's at it.

Celtic & Rangers would give anyone in the PL a game with their atmosphere's at home for the big games/euro games and in recent times there's been tonnes of examples of elite players there, particularly Celtic.

In contrast Aaron Ramsey who went to Rangers with huge reputation and expectation has barely kicked his own arse and will leave a massive flop.

Teemu Pukki who was a massive flop for Celtic has 77 goals in 4 seasons across the PL and Championship for Norwich including 22 in the PL.

Give either of them 5 years of PL money and they'd be major players.

I've been to football all over europe and spent the first 21 years of my life in England and going to matches across the country.

There's not a stadium or fanbase in England that comes anywhere close to them.Ā 

Keith - I respectfully disagree. I hate Rangers but this season they've narrowly lost a Europa League final and beaten Braga, Dortmund, Leipzig and drawn with Lyon on the way.

Jonjoe Kenny and Shane Duffy have both played regularly in the PL this season and were laughed out of Glasgow as absolute washouts.

Celtic & Rangers are gigantic clubs, bigger historically and fanbase wise than anyone in England other than Man Utd and Liverpool.Ā 

At the very worst with PL money they'd be the Liverpool of the 90s or the Man Utd of the last 5-10 years.

Edited by Jonny Vegas

11 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Domestically or worldwide?

Not on a wind up, just curious as to what you meant by the way.

Worldwide.Ā 

There's huge followings of Liverpool and Man Utd in asia amongst other continents which help to dwarf any other clubs global fanbase barring maybe Real Madrid/Barcelona.

Celtic/Rangers have gigantic fanbases in North America/Australia amomgst other places and give them a taste of the higher profile success Man Utd/Liverpool have and it would increase even higher globally.

The only reason players would sign for about 14 of the PL teams ahead of Celtic/Rangers is more money/higher profile.

They simply cannot compete when guys like Oli McBurnie are going for Ā£20m.Ā 

Outwith Celtic/Rangers I'd say Hearts/Hibs/Aberdeen are maybe League 1 level and the rest League 2 and below.

The thing those who don't watch Scottish football regularly don't appreciate is that domestically in the league Celtic/Rangers are playing 38 cup finals a season.

If Spurs for example drew with Bradford away in the FA Cup its not because Spurs are shite it's because that's the Bradford players and fans biggest game of the season. Every single season there's numerous cup upsets and people accept thats part of the game.

Nowadays players across all professional leagues are super fit, tactically sound and its very difficult to break that down if they all stick to their roles and don't make mistakes without something special.

The mental and physical toughness to be able to do that for 38 games in a season is hugely under appreciated by those who don't watch it regularly.

Edited by Jonny Vegas

2 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

If Spurs for example drew with Bradford away in the FA Cup its not because Spurs are shite

I can 100% guarantee you it is because they are shite :)

I'll be honest, I don't watch a lot of the Scottish leagues outside of the occasional old firm games and the cup finals so I'll listen to the opinion of people who actually watch it.

Anyone know how Cameron Carter-Vickers has done this season? Cannot believe that fucker is still on our books.

He's been brilliant for Celtic, absolutely solid at SPL level. Can't say I see a future for him at Spurs and if he's sensible he will stay at Celtic and try to grow with the team and what Postecoglou is trying to do there.

Carl Starfelt started off shaky but he and CCV have formed a brilliant partnership with Celtic conceding only 22 goals in the league all season.

Calvin Bassey, a LB turned CB at Rangers will be a great buy for someone on the PL. 22 years old, only 2 years left on his deal, strongĀ  quick, composed.

Ā 

Ā 

• Paid Members

Cameron Carter-Vickers has been absolutely immense for us and there's a big push from the fans to get him signed up. He's been a rock at the back. Carl Starfelt had a shaky start to his Celtic career but he and big CCV have formed a great partnership and only conceded 22 goals in the season.Ā 

Edit: Seem to have made a very similar post to@Jonny VegasĀ simultaneously!

Edited by SpiritOfTheForest

43 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

What does that even mean?

Bigger is a subjective term when it comes to football clubs.

Nobody could argue against Manchester City & PSG for example having bigger current standing than Celtic & Rangers but historically Rangers & Celtic are much bigger clubs.

What was it that elevated Manchester City & PSG to their current stature? Masses of money.

Give that to Celtic & Rangers and they eclipse the likes of them.