Wee Jock Poo Pong McPlop football thread

Devon Malcolm

56 minutes ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

For a while now I've seen Wales as almost a mirror image team to us: they have a team of jobbers with one world class superstar who drags the others to victory by the scruff of the neck. We have a very solid team but lack that superstar who single-handedly changes games and grabs results. If the team is having a poor performance, there's seldom somebody to step up and give us that wee moment of magic. Wales were very lucky too, getting through with a deflected goal and a stonewall penalty decision going in their favour, bafflingly despite a 2 nanosecond VAR check. Scotland had 14 shots to Ukraine's 15 on Wednesday while Ukraine outshot Wales 22-10. It makes our massive underperfomance last week all the more frustrating when we were beaten by the the better team on Wednesday yet Wales somehow fluked their way to victory against the better team yesterday. That's football though, a game of slim margins but it's still a sore one to take. 

Wales had Ben Davies, Scotland didn't. 

Simple really :)

The point of football is to score more goals than you succeed. So if you score more goals and concede less than your opponent than you are the better team. The only statistic that matters in football is the final result, and people need to learn to understand that.

23 minutes ago, Butch2000 said:

The only statistic that matters in football is the final result, and people need to learn to understand that.

Can't say I agree with that, I'm afraid. 

The stats below are a good example of that...

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Butch2000 said:

The point of football is to score more goals than you succeed. So if you score more goals and concede less than your opponent than you are the better team. The only statistic that matters in football is the final result, and people need to learn to understand that.

Proper football. 

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Ironic Indie Lad said:

As a Scottish man, I only have 2 real issues with the national squad.

1. We are shite.

2. "the tartan army" is largely an INCREDIBLY embarrassing fanbase 

3. Hampden is a shite stadium.

• Paid Members

What's Murrayfield like, BTW? I know it's primarily a rugby ground, but I was given to understand it's hosted quite a lot of football.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Carbomb said:

What's Murrayfield like, BTW? I know it's primarily a rugby ground, but I was given to understand it's hosted quite a lot of football.

It's in the right city  which is a good start. 

7 hours ago, Carbomb said:

I'm not sure it has - I can only really think of when Celtic played some European games there while Celtic Park was recovering from being used for the Commonwealth Games.

Hampden is a veritable dump. I'm not sure supporters of the national team or any club side in Scotland would say they have any fondness for it. Despite being in Glasgow, it is a logistical pain in the arse to reach by public transport and God help you if you decide to drive there. 

We should definitely be following the model you see in quite a lot of European countries and have the national team 'tour' the country. Celtic Park and Ibrox both generate the best atmospheres in the UK (by a distance as well - nothing comes close to them, despite what any butthurt English say. Just ask the Europeans) and should be used for the big games. For smaller games, the likes of Tynecastle (another contender in the Best Atmosphere awards, actually), Easter Road, the new Pittodrie, Tannadice etc could be used. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, StrongStyle said:

I'm not sure it has - I can only really think of when Celtic played some European games there while Celtic Park was recovering from being used for the Commonwealth Games.

That was what I was initially thinking of, but a quick swatch of the ground's Wiki says that Hearts also used it for their European campaign back when Tynecastle wasn't yet compliant with requirements, and later for their home Prem games when they were having it added to. Also, the 2018-19 Scottish Cup final, and a friendly between Liverpool and Napoli. 

Edited by Carbomb

16 hours ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

On that why do Scotland still play at Hampden and not move games to say Celtic Park, Ibrox or Tynecastle? Even Wales moved from playing at the Principality to Cardiff City Stadium and are better for the better atmosphere 

The SFA just completed the ÂŁ5 million purchase of Hampden shortly after Euro 2020, so I doubt the national team will be vacating the premises any time soon.

8 hours ago, ElCece said:

It's in the right city  which is a good start. 

Is it? Edinburgh may be the official capital of Scotland, but let's be honest, it's not a patch on Glasgow, especially when it comes to football. 

Glasgow is the Scottish epicentre of football, and regardless of how good Hampden is, we don't need or want Edinburgh hosting our national team games. They can stick to rugby.

Hampden can be a good atmosphere for Scotland games but relies on the noise going right round the bowl. When it's a 50/50 or 70/30 split the atmosphere is poor.

Shocking transport links for a national stadium too. Made even worse tomorrow with the ongoing ScotRail shambles.

Edited by MungoChutney

On 6/6/2022 at 3:02 PM, Ironic Indie Lad said:

As a Scottish man, I only have 2 real issues with the national squad.

1. We are shite.

2. "the tartan army" is largely an INCREDIBLY embarrassing fanbase 

On point one, we are what we are. We're a nation with a population smaller than that of Finland, and roughly the same as Slovakia and Norway. We'll produce the odd really good player, but for the most part we simply don't have the depth of talent to be a real force. 

On point two I'd disagree completely. If you find it embarrassing that a fanbase goes abroad and consistently manages to endear itself to both fans and local authorities in the cities they visit, and carry out numerous charitable ventures, including The Tartan Army Children’s Charity, then I don't quite know what you'd consider a fanbase that isn't embarassing.