Wee Jock Poo Pong McPlop football thread

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
On 3/6/2021 at 6:12 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Yep, you got that spot on. 

Way that Rangers capitulated last season (which was totally forgotten about and if they did that this season), if Lennon had managed a few good results. He might have ran them close.

It is very impressive a nine year old club can win the league. Maybe somebody should else should stick some money in. Gretna tried it, and we all know what happened there. Guy lying dead in his garden pond, Somebody should have made a documentary about Gretna's madness by now.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

14 minutes ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

Way that Rangers capitulated last season (which was totally forgotten about and if they did that this season), if Lennon had managed a few good results. He might have ran them close.

It is very impressive a nine year old club can win the league. Maybe somebody should else should stick some money in. Gretna tried it, and we all know what happened there. Guy lying dead in his garden pond, Somebody should have made a documentary about Gretna's madness by now.

Rangers are not nine years old. 9 years ago the owners of the club went into liquidation, the club as an asset was ‘purchased’ by new owners.

I long for the day fans on both sides of the Glasgow divide remember that this is a football rivalry.  Tax evasion, company law and, particularly, child sexual abuse as point scoring exercises are horrendous.  

The two teams are now much more evenly matched and with a good manager in at Celtic it will be a tight race next season. Would be tremendous if we could get back to talking about which team plays best rather than the other nonsense. 

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, stewdogg said:

Rangers are not nine years old. 9 years ago the owners of the club went into liquidation, the club as an asset was ‘purchased’ by new owners.

Yes I know. I was winding the Celtic fans up.

Celtic fans need Eddie Howe, they don't need Frank Lampard.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

Oh aye, historically it’s always been about the football for Rangers and Celtic. Nothing by else, purely the colour of their shirts. Definitely no other antagonistic factors until Rangers went bust, no sir.

3 hours ago, Bicurious Dad said:

Oh aye, historically it’s always been about the football for Rangers and Celtic. Nothing by else, purely the colour of their shirts. Definitely no other antagonistic factors until Rangers went bust, no sir.

That's not what I said. However, I would say there is less of a religious undertone than there was back in 1980.  For a period in the early 2000s it was very much more focused on the football in my experience. The rise of social media has taken it back a step but still not to the levels of 1980 Glasgow.

Edited by MungoChutney

• Paid Members

Any Celtic fans here have any preference as who they want as manager for next season? A week or 2 ago I was talking to my brother about it and said I would quite like Jesse Marsch, manager of RB Salzuburg, or Carlos Carvalhal of FC Braga. I'd favour the former over the latter. He's done very good things at Salzburg, a league that could be compared as relatively similar to Scotland: got them winning their domestic title every year and has them punching well above their weight in Europe too. Sounds like a great candidate to me.  And then what do you know, in the papers today, Marsch is now being linked with the job! It's not often I get to feel relatively knowledgeable about football so I got a kick out of that. 

Of course my dream no-matter-how-unrealistic-money-is-no-option choice would be Rafa Benitez but somehow I can't quite see that happening. Eddie Howe's another name I've heard bandied around but to be honest, doesn't really fill me with much enthusiasm. Always touted as a young upcoming coach yes, but former Bournemouth manager doesn't really excite me. I'd definitely go for him over Roy Keane or Jack Ross, two other names that have been mentioned, though!

Edited by SpiritOfTheForest

30 minutes ago, SpiritOfTheForest said:

I'd definitely go for him over Roy Keane

Jesus, that would be grim.

It always amazes me that Marcelo Gallardo's name isn't mentioned more when it comes to these big jobs. It's only a matter of time before he comes to Europe and Celtic would be a perfect introduction I would've thought.

• Paid Members

Celtic and Rangers aren't "Big Jobs" though. Anybody with any competence would get Top 2. Bigger than *some* Premiership clubs yes. I remember some idiot said that Bournemouth were bigger than Celtic on TalkSport and I nearly spat out my cornflakes.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Gallardo would be fantastic but I have to say I would like to see Carvahal. He seems to be improving as a coach and starting to make a reputation for himself and we need someone who is going to impart a little style into the squad. He wanted the job when we gave it to Lennon and he did wonders with his Wednesday squad, could be the right choice.

On 3/18/2021 at 4:46 AM, bAzTNM#1 said:

Celtic and Rangers aren't "Big Jobs" though. Anybody with any competence would get Top 2. Bigger than *some* Premiership clubs yes. I remember some idiot said that Bournemouth were bigger than Celtic on TalkSport and I nearly spat out my cornflakes.

2nd isn't acceptable though unless you get to a European final (which is very unlikely) or you take home at least 1,preferably both domestic cups. 

On 3/17/2021 at 2:45 PM, SpiritOfTheForest said:

Any Celtic fans here have any preference as who they want as manager for next season? A week or 2 ago I was talking to my brother about it and said I would quite like Jesse Marsch, manager of RB Salzuburg, or Carlos Carvalhal of FC Braga. I'd favour the former over the latter. He's done very good things at Salzburg, a league that could be compared as relatively similar to Scotland: got them winning their domestic title every year and has them punching well above their weight in Europe too. Sounds like a great candidate to me.  And then what do you know, in the papers today, Marsch is now being linked with the job! It's not often I get to feel relatively knowledgeable about football so I got a kick out of that. 

Of course my dream no-matter-how-unrealistic-money-is-no-option choice would be Rafa Benitez but somehow I can't quite see that happening. Eddie Howe's another name I've heard bandied around but to be honest, doesn't really fill me with much enthusiasm. Always touted as a young upcoming coach yes, but former Bournemouth manager doesn't really excite me. I'd definitely go for him over Roy Keane or Jack Ross, two other names that have been mentioned, though!

I like the idea of Harkin as DOF and Maresca as Head coach/manager and his coaches coming in. The celtic team will be stripped this season with Moi, Eddy, Christie, Laxalt, Ajer and possibly McGregor all leaving. We will have to rely on youth and build a squad from scratch and I think they could be the guys to do it. 

Carlos Carvalhal of FC Braga

Carlos is a marvellous laugh, but he has a shelf life of about two years. True, he nearly got us to the Premier League two seasons in a row, but completely ran out of ideas after that and outstayed his welcome. I think you're better going with Marsch (although my former Ibrox season ticket holder dad might disagree).

This business with Glen Kamara has made me massively depressed about the state of football in general. The clubs of the SPFL Premiership have generally done the right thing and it's been good to see so many come out in support, but it's also rotten to see how many people will take any opportunity to make every single issue about 'us vs. them'. Oh, and Michael Stewart is a prick.

Jesse Marsch is the one for me.

He seems to have been flirting with the job in the media a little this week saying he's flattered and it would be interesting to see what the project was as he knows the importance of coming in and winning right away but also wants to develop academy players and promote youth.

I think if he's given time by the club and the fans and we could convince him to come he could be absolutely perfect.

Benitez is a spent force for me, he's needed a lot of money everywhere hes been and has had varying levels of success for that.

Howe was homesick at Burnley so it doesnt fill be wih confidence. Also he did brilliant with Bournmouth, a very small club with a core group of players he took through the divisions who would run through brick walls for him, the wheels fell off once they gave him some money to spend. I don't think he's a great fit for Celtic.

Jack Ross would be a disaster. Keane is someone I'd love to come in and do well but I just cannot see it sadly.

Enzo Maresca is one name that keeps coming up too.