Awesome acting.

Thunderplex

• Paid Members

Just catching up on Big Little Lies.  Not been a great Meryl Streep fan over the years, but Christ on a bike, she is awesome in this.  Pitiful and hateful all in one.  Just riveted when she is on the screen.

Any other truly captivating performances by any thesps out there?

• Awards Moderator

Here's an open goal: Ian McKellen in Lord of the Rings. His performance is the cornerstone of the whole film. Bungle this and the whole trilogy falls over. This video does a fantastic job of detailing just how emotive his face, specifically his eyes are. 

On a similar thespy lilt, Robert Shaw in Jaws. More accurately the Indianapolis scene which is one of the best things ever filmed. Especially when bookended with the drunk scenes. 

• Paid Members

I’m really fond of slink baddies. Sometimes just their presence, regardless of words spoken or actions, is more than enough.

Javier Bardem in No Country for Old Men is the epitome of this for me. His actions are obviously villainous, but just his appearance and the way he moves around. Captivating.

If I could create a small stable of human baddies to protect me whilst I attempt to take over the world, it would include Bardem, Danny Trejo & Bolo Yeung.

F792C158-60AE-4114-9574-A51A829AB51F.jpeg

• Moderators

This is a great bit of micro-acting. No dialogue, just a split second look at the end. Spoilers for Carnivale, obviously.

For context, the girl in the window was kidnapped from the circus run by the chap in the hat, and murdered at an abandoned mine, and now they're having to leave her ghost behind, trapped for eternity to be raped by the ghosts of all the dead miners. Slightly NSFW maybe, with some long-distance nudity through a grimy window.

• Paid Members

Glengarry Glen Ross is just good for acting performances all round. Jack Lemmon's turn is classic, and even Al Pacino manages to dial back the hoo-hah to put in some good work for the quieter monologues directed at Jonathan Pryce. Ed Harris as always puts in a shift, and Alan Arkin is solid.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

The bit in this that I have always thought was brilliant is Gibson's change of expression at 1:52.

And he's still a fantastic actor as well, I'm really enjoying his post-racism phase of smaller stature indie films.