Awesome acting.

Thunderplex

Stretching it a bit no doubt but pink suit Mark Henry. I think he had most of us worked for an angle where 99% of the time we're expecting exactly what happened. 

A couple of shit ones by your standards but my film knowledge is naff compared to you lot. Jack Nicholson in The Departed and whoever played Chuck in Better Call Saul are two that spring to mind. 

There's good acting when you realise the actors you're watching are great but I think the best performances are when you totally forget you're watching an actor and just fall for the performance. The two I mentioned did just that for me. Wasn't until after or second viewing that I could appreciate it. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Glengarry Glen Ross is just good for acting performances all round. Jack Lemmon's turn is classic, and even Al Pacino manages to dial back the hoo-hah to put in some good work for the quieter monologues directed at Jonathan Pryce. Ed Harris as always puts in a shift, and Alan Arkin is solid.

God, I forget how many absolute heavyweights are in that movie, and yet it never feels overcrowded or like anyone is overshadowing anyone else. Might have to give it a rewatch this week. 

Speaking of Ed Harris, I always thought he was superb in A History of Violence, as is Viggo Mortensen, although I've not seen it for a few years, so may be my memory is a bit off.

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Undefeated Steak said:

Jack Nicholson in The Departed and whoever played Chuck in Better Call Saul are two that spring to mind. 

There's good acting when you realise the actors you're watching are great but I think the best performances are when you totally forget you're watching an actor and just fall for the performance. The two I mentioned did just that for me. Wasn't until after or second viewing that I could appreciate it. 

Michael McKean - if you want to see just how much range the man has, check out Spinal Tap. He's phenomenal in Better Call Saul, but it's just how different he is that really makes it for me.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Michael McKean - if you want to see just how much range the man has, check out Spinal Tap. He's phenomenal in Better Call Saul, but it's just how different he is that really makes it for me.

He's probably the only good elements of Short Circuit 2 and The Brady Bunch Movie as well.

Daniel Day Lewis in the opening of THERE WILL BE BLOOD. No words, just a man struggling to get out of a hole with a broken leg. Masterful.

Gyllenhall in Nightcrawler - I'm a Jake fan boy, but honestly he's electrifying in this role.

For context, the girl in the window was kidnapped from the circus run by the chap in the hat, and murdered at an abandoned mine, and now they're having to leave her ghost behind, trapped for eternity to be raped by the ghosts of all the dead miners. Slightly NSFW maybe, with some long-distance nudity through a grimy window.

I think about this scene a lot and I don't know why. It has stayed with me since the first time I saw it.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

He's probably the only good elements of Short Circuit 2 and The Brady Bunch Movie as well.

Best thing about Airheads too, although that film is generally ace considering it's a fairly nonsensical Die Hard parody. 

• Paid Members

13 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

I met Michael Mckean once, I told him I was a big fan and he lambasted me for not having seen a film he was in that had only been out for a few days.

I saw you were the last post in this thread and thought 'Fuck me, he surely hasn't nominated a Nicholas Cage performance has he??'. Opened thread, breathed a huge sigh of relief.

2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Glengarry Glen Ross is just good for acting performances all round. Jack Lemmon's turn is classic, and even Al Pacino manages to dial back the hoo-hah to put in some good work for the quieter monologues directed at Jonathan Pryce. Ed Harris as always puts in a shift, and Alan Arkin is solid.

It's a terrific ensemble cast with everyone knocking it out of the park, bar none. My personal favourite is Alan Arkin, I thought he was fantastic. He comes across so natural in everything I've seen him in. Jack Lemmon is a close second in that movie. But man, you show that movie to drama students. That's their inspiration.