Awesome acting.

Thunderplex

• Paid Members

Fuck you all, I still cry when I watch that scene.

Edit: now I've just watched it on the train home and had to stop before he hugs Uncle Phil otherwise I'll be a pathetic blubbering mess

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members

I mean, it's one of the greatest performances in the history of TV, so take your pick, and as much as this quote is a bit of a meme now, it is still just bone chilling from Cranston. The way his whole demeanour changes when he turns around and says 'Who are you talking to?' The subtly of the body language, the patronising tone, and then that look on his face at the end when he realises he's given himself away. The mask slips and she sees him as he really is for the first time.

• Paid Members

In a show that is full of incredible perfomances, Edie Falco as Carmella Soprano really tops it in season four and five. Her and James Gandolfini are at their best when they're at each others throats and the scene below is their magnum opus. It completely blows my mind that the emotion she shows here is acted, I don't know if I've ever believed a performance more.

Edited by stumobir

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, mim731 said:

Best thing about Airheads too, although that film is generally ace considering it's a fairly nonsensical Die Hard parody. 

I’m still bitterly annoyed that we never got the full version of ‘Don't Hate Me Because I’m Beautiful’. That first 10 seconds is a class intro to a song that doesn’t technically exist. It’s apparently recorded in its entirety, but nobody seems to know (or care) where it’s at.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, stumobir said:

In a show that is full of incredible perfomances, Edie Falco as Carmella Soprano really tops it in season four and five. Her and James Gandolfini are at their best when they're at each others throats and the scene below is their magnum opus. It completely blows my mind that the emotion she shows here is acted, I don't know if I've ever believed a performance more.

The arguments and performances they have in Whitecaps wins it for me in terms of acting. However, I’ve always loved this scenes with James Gandolfini. Especially the ones with Dominic Chianese. Chianese was fantastic throughout The Sopranos.   

Gandolfini's performance is why The Sopranos will always be the greatest TV show of all time for me. It elevates it over all those other tremendous shows.

Its unbelievable. Parts frightening, parts scared little boy, part humorous, part disgusting. It's just stunning. You could also argue it was the single most important performance on TV in the way that it has utterly revolutionised it from that moment on.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Gandolfini's performance is why The Sopranos will always be the greatest TV show of all time for me. It elevates it over all those other tremendous shows.

Its unbelievable. Parts frightening, parts scared little boy, part humorous, part disgusting. It's just stunning. You could also argue it was the single most important performance on TV in the way that it has utterly revolutionised it from that moment on.

I partly agree. I also think The Shield and Six Feet Under helped contribute to the sea-change. The Shield in particular has some stunning performances throughout.

Oh yeah I agree, they're stunning shows. But I always think Gandolfini utterly redefined what the main character in a show should be. That and the brilliant writing of course. I just think his performance tips it above those other great shows.

• Paid Members
43 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Oh yeah I agree, they're stunning shows. But I always think Gandolfini utterly redefined what the main character in a show should be. That and the brilliant writing of course. I just think his performance tips it above those other great shows.

I can see that. Personally, I think the writing of characters like Tony Soprano and Vic Mackie especially were emblematic of how those shows changed the nature of TV, although Michael Chiklis retrospectively turned out to have a less critically-acclaimed career than Gandolfini.

• Paid Members

I can't find a clip, but there's a moment in In The Loop where Malcolm Tucker is in the UN Prayer Room, and his plans have gone to shit.

There's a really tight close-up on Capaldi's face, his eyes looking just about to water, trembling, and then gradually fix forward, followed by a cut to him power-walking down a corridor. The amount of business he fits into those few seconds with just his eyes is astonishing.

• Paid Members

Malcolm Tucker's eyes can tell a story on their own, I think he could probably kill somebody with them.

This is probably my favourite moment. You can't see it as well in this GIF, but when Ollie catches him staring and Tucker's eyes just flit back and forth.

image.png.4cb7c1dd4e7926eea3c791eb98dc2689.png